The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
watindes

I was offered a trade and dont know if tis a good deal (see pics)

Hello all,

I have an 86 (not the right year for the forum but Im getting there) custom pickup, everything is good and just needs a tad more polish to be a good show truck. I have been offered this panel truck (see below) it is a 1964 and needs a fair amount of bodywork as you can see. It has a 327 camaro engine, escalade wheels and a custom (non leaking professional) power sunroof and to help with the bodywork he is also offering $1K as well as some stereo stuff for the truck. No rust through on the roof but surface rust is definitly there. I really like my truck, it is dependable and cool but I find myself "bored" (anyone know that feeling) with it and would love something new for car show season that, I am told is kind of rare, I value my truck at $4K, and I dont have a good idea about this trucks value in this condition.

Looking for help from the folks who know these trucks best,

Jesse

This is my truck, 86 c10 short bed custom.

Your mother is a *beep beep beep*ing*beep*lorem ipsum*beep beep beep*admiumvenium*beep beep beep beep*turolagulio*beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep* hippopotamus*beep beep beep beep beep beep*beep beep beep* Daniel Radcliffe *beep beep beep beep* with a bucket of *beep beep beep beep* in a castle far away where no one can hear you *beep beep beep beep beep beep* soup *beep beep beep* with a bucket of *beep beep* Mickey Mouse *beep beep* with a stick of dinomite *beeeeeepppp* magical *beep beep beep beep* ALAKAZAM!
watindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: I was offered a trade and dont know if tis a good deal (see pics)

heres my $.02
first off how much do you drive your truck?? it looks like a really clean truck?
second what are your plans for the burb....and how much is it going to cost yea??

I would go sit in the burb since its completely dif than your truck...can yea feel it???
the burb does have a Kool that to me your truck doesn't have ( kuz its older and different) but truth be told....I think driving your truck would be more reliable and pleasureable.....the burb is going to need a stance adjustment $$$ body work $$ paint$$ and at least a set of rallies $$ then what are you going to do in back of the burb.....
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
duallyjams

IMO they need offer up a little more cash in the trade for your truck. If you are looking for another project you can keep your truck and find a better deal.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
watindes

There are a few paint flaws with my truck and it needs a hi-beam lever on the column, ride is kind of bouncy due to the drop, my truck isn't perfect either but the body is more solid than the delivery. I was going to insulate the back and maybe use it when the wife and I go camping. My truck is a daily driver and the burban will be on the days I dont ride my motorcycle.

Jesse

Your mother is a *beep beep beep*ing*beep*lorem ipsum*beep beep beep*admiumvenium*beep beep beep beep*turolagulio*beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep* hippopotamus*beep beep beep beep beep beep*beep beep beep* Daniel Radcliffe *beep beep beep beep* with a bucket of *beep beep beep beep* in a castle far away where no one can hear you *beep beep beep beep beep beep* soup *beep beep beep* with a bucket of *beep beep* Mickey Mouse *beep beep* with a stick of dinomite *beeeeeepppp* magical *beep beep beep beep* ALAKAZAM!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
shuvl

I just went through the same situation. I had a 98 jeep wrangle, power steering, power breaks, automatic, air conditioning, stereo..... all the comforts of a "modern" vehicle. Traded it for a 64 c10, no power anything, 3 on the tree, some rust, crappy bondo job done to try and hide rust. No A/C!!! (In south west Florida that's a huge deal) a bunch of odd sounding rattles and noises.... all the stuff that comes with an old truck. In my opinion I took that guy for a ride on the deal!! That jeep was worth $6500, in a year it will be worth $4900 in another year even less. If I do nothing to my truck other than maintenance it will still be worth $6500 in a few years. If your like me and many others that like to tinker with your stuff it will be worth more. It's like getting paid to play with your toys. I'd say get the burb, have fun with it, do some work to it and who knows, you might turn a profit.... or at the very least, have a bunch of fun with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
shuvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
watindes

You have a good point, I am a mechanic by trade and do like tinkering and the burb is weird (cant remember the last time I saw one). I could try to squeeze some more cash but he also does tattoo work so he could hook me up with some of that.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

you left out the mechanic part.....trade it then you can cut one loop off the front put in some jeep springs and rebuild the front to make it drive nice and give it a tune up and you have a good driver to beat back and forth to work on the rainy days...

BUT

really check the rust and see what you can get for panels because your going to have to fix that you can strip the roof and repaint that pretty easy

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
watindes

I have NOT found replacement rear quarters for that and I am afraid I may need to have them made. What springs do you use from what year Jeeps? I like the idea, will that lower it?

Jesse

Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

yea the TJ springs will give you about 4" drop on a truck

having panels made sounds expencive
Old 05-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
yea the TJ springs will give you about 4" drop on a truck
From personal experience, the burbs/panels are too heavy for the factory TJ springs and the bump stops will sit right on the axles. Those springs really only work for the trucks.

As far as what to do, I agree with the others above that you shouldn't do it if you want to drive it daily. Your '86 is a sweet little truck and you should just wait for a better project deal. Just my opinion of course.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
watindes

I am not worried about the paint now I just want the body done and I think 1k would fix the rust and the roof. Is it a harsh ride with the jeep springs will the control arms hit?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I'm bagged but from what I have heard they ride well and they dont hit...but thas on a truck

I think $1k is thinking a bit optimisic maybe get a body guy to take a look at it
Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I'm not real familair with this vintage but do the pick up patch panels for a fleetside bed fit??
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

If the '86 is your daily driver I'd say no to the trade. If it is a 2nd vehicle and the '64 will also be something to tinker with and have fun with I'd say it's a good trade.

If the' burb was a swb pickup I'd say go for it. Ever driven a vehicle without the back side windows? Takes some getting used to and it kinda sucks for a daily driver, IMO. And if you are used to all those creature comforts in your '86 you will miss them, and miss them everytime you drive the '64.

There may be some serious rust issues with the 'burb too. Having been repainted it's tough to tell just what's under there until you start taking the newer stuff back off.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 05-04-2011 at 09:46 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
glos55

Lakeroadster has some valid points!!!! If it were me..... I probably would'nt trade your truck for the panel

Last edited by glos55; 05-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.
glos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
71swb4x4

You definitely need to have a bodyman look at that panel. Have you put your hands on this truck? I would make certain that the rust pictured is the only damage to the body, and still would have a bodyman quote the repairs.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #17
Joemomma1

Don't do it. That's a panel NOT a suburban. I've seen panels go for a lot less than suburbans. Barn doors, needs a fair amount of body work. I say don't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Joemomma1; 05-05-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The short fleetside pickup bed repair panels will work on the Suburbans and Panels. As long as the Panel is running and driving, I would trade. You mentioned that you have a motorcycle to ride on the nice days, and summer should be full of nice days. So just try and plan the bigger projects on the Panel for when you can ride your bike for a few days.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #19
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Dont do it! unless you are really board and like the project more then the drive, if thats the case then go for it. But if you like to drive and enjoy your stuff, then dont mess with it.
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’ve always restricted my vintage vehicle purchases to the best rust free example I could find, something needing only ding and dent repairs. Having nothing to do with the trade, personally I would pass on the panel shown. With that much rust visible it’s likely there is a great deal more in the floors and the rest of the quarters. And it’s impossible to tell from the photo if the roof just has blistered paint, or serious cancer. I would not consider these easy or inexpensive repairs. Unless you can do all the bodywork yourself (and enjoy it) I would start with a better candidate.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #21
watindes

I am going to take a look at it, the seller sent me videos that show what looks like those being the only problem areas, I really have to see it in person. The doors look solid as do the front feners, the floor has been re-done. It helps alot the fact that I oculd use bed patch panels from the same year truck.

Thans

Jesse

Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #22
willyp

i looked at this panel while i was on my way to my daughters soccer game in northern VA. it was a bit of a hoopty. i think the rocker panels and floor were real bad. The guy i talked to seemed shady. i would take a pass and keep the 86. just my .02
Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #23
BlackTopMotors

I'd go with what you know...looks like you have a pretty nice truck...I have a feeling he'd be getting the better end. Back off/check back later...bet it's still available... Cash deals are so much cleaner. Best of luck!
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #24
ChevyTruckGuy

Keep the 86
2008 GMC Sierra Ex Cab 5.3 (once a month driver)
Wife's 74 Ranchero 500 351 Cleveland (One Owner)
My name is Mike and im in So. Cal (Hi Desert)
ChevyTruckGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #25
watindes

Thinks to you guys and myself I decided not to do it and I really trust everyone here, WillyP I thank you especially for telling me what it is like in person I did sense some shadyness on the phone with the guy (hes a nice guy but seems flakey). I also had the "dont do it" feeling constantly while discussing this deal.

Thank you all see you at the super chevy show and cruise in!

Jesse