The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2003, 10:01 PM   #1
Tom
driving is in my blood

tv cables and gauges and tube flaring, o my!

Ok first question: seting up my TV cable.
I thought I had it hooked up correctly, but was wrong. With the throttle fully depressed, I can still pull the TV cable out a litte ways. How do I adjust for this? As it sits the cable has no slack with no throttle. The bracket is a generic checkers one, but works exactly like the bracket edelbrock offers to put TV cables on a carter/edelbrock carb. So do I push on that button and let the thing rachet, do I move the bracket that holds the TV cable housing [foward or back] or do I move the little stop on the actual cable that adjusts its length?

Second question: My gauges. I have outside of the gauge panel a tach, a mechanical oil pressure, a tranny temp and a air/fuel ratio gauge. Im going to make a pod to hold them all together. Where Im going to mount it is the question. Should I mount it on top of the dash? If so, in the middle, to the left or right? Or should I mount it to the underside of the dash, like under the radio or steering colume? Just looking for some opinions on this one.

Lastly, I tried making my own metal fuel lines today. Well Ive done that before [with good success], but this time I tried flaring the ends too. That part didnt work so well. Every time I tried to flare a end, it would start flaring one side, then eventully [if I made the flare large enough, way too big to be of use] the other side would go too. What exactly was going wrong with that?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:18 PM   #2
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

I think I can help with some of your problems, so here goes,..

TV cable adjustment was covered a little while back, even with a diagram. Just use the search feature of the board, you'll find it.

Second question, Since I hang out at a local speed shop, (they sponsor my CRX ) I have seen premade gauge pods that hold up to 3 gauges. I believe autometer makes them and theyre made of ABS plastic, Ill look into it. They are for mounting to any flat surface and are finished with a grainy dash material look. You can prep/paint them to match the exisiting dash color too.

As for the line flaring, I'm no good at it either. As far as I know, it just takes a lot of practice, hopefully someone can help on this part.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

Heres a pic of the pods.... made by autometer.
Attached Images

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders

Last edited by J-Spec C10; 02-23-2003 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

another..
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2003, 10:34 PM   #5
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

this one is by OBX
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

this ones called a wedgee heehee.....
Carbon Fibre, and looks kinda coo, but its held down with velcro...
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2003, 10:41 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

Thanks j-spec

I like those middle picture pods. They look good. But I can make a pod to house all 4 of my gauges for a lil cheaper

As for the TV cable, I know it was discoused. I started like 2-3 topics on it myself. But for some reason Im just not getting it. Im not sure what I need to adjust, whether it be the length of the cable, the bracket or the housing

Velcro is actually a good idea, it would mean not having to drill holes in the dash.....
Old 02-23-2003, 11:04 PM   #8
Bowed

Re: tv cables and gauges and tube flaring, o my!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Ok I tried making my own metal fuel lines today. Well Ive done that before [with good success], but this time I tried flaring the ends too. That part didnt work so well. Every time I tried to flare a end, it would start flaring one side, then eventully [if I made the flare large enough, way too big to be of use] the other side would go too. What exactly was going wrong with that?
Good flares depend greatly on the Quality of the tool. You need a very good type , preferably a professional one .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #9
PHOENIX

Tom do your self a huge favor and ditch the little plastic line. Its junk!!! Go down to a local performance shop (you know who Im gonna say, and you dont like them, which is understandable ) Anyway buy the braided line. Its much better quality and has never leaked on me. The plastic line caused me all kinda of problems, then is busted and ruined my carpet.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:06 PM   #10
Tom
driving is in my blood

ummm eddie, what plastic lines are you talking about?
Old 02-24-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
PHOENIX

mechanical oil pressure gauges comes with a nylon hose, its a POS and should be discarded asap.

I say you mount the gauges in the middle of the dash, facing at the driver (like at 45degree angle or so).
Old 02-24-2003, 07:30 PM   #12
Tom
driving is in my blood

ooooooo now I get it
Yeah I already had it break on me once. Driving down my street in the dark with a friend, whats that smell? O CRAP!!!

I didnt know they sell different tubing for it though. Ill have to go check em out. Hey eiddie, know anywhere to get a small piece of aluminum or stainless steel? O and I can bring you your crossmember back if you want this week. They didnt need to use it.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
PHOENIX

Yes I would like to have the crossmember back, just incase I need it when I swap trannys. Just about anytime is good for me, sometime Saturday would be good, or even Friday when you get off of work. Either way, just call before you show.
How small of a piece are you looking for? And what do you plan to use it on? Dimensions and thickness would help, I might be able to get you one or the other.