The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
liquiddragon

whats worth more?

ok so i have been looking for a 67-72 chevy or gmc pickup for the past 8 months and i have been looking at the lowered 2wd mostly but after talking to the wife (she wants a 4wd) i am actually starting to look at those now and i actually like the way they look when lifted a little but they also look good stock. anyways i have been checking list craiglist here in the San Fran. bay area for the past 8 months and i have come across a few but i am having a hard time judging what they are actually worth sense they seem to be either priced really high like in the 20k+ range and really low like around the 3k rangebut the catch is that i have been trying to find someone tat would be willing to trade me my 76 corvette for their truck mnus the engines that way i could use the engine tat i spent a year building and also sense i built it i know what its got in it and i know it doesnt have any issues. anyways i have 20k in my car minus the engine and i was wanting to know if you guys/gals here could tell me what i could expect in a trade for my car. also the pulley kit tat is on the engine will be staying with the car so i have been looking at small block trucks for this reason and also so that the exhaust will bolt right up with no issues when doing the swap. here is a link to my photobucket account with pictures of it. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v41/liquiddragon/

here is a link to a truck that i have been seriously looking at and i am thinking about calling the person and asking to trade but i wanted to see what you guy/gals thought first and if this is someones truck on here i hope you dont mind me posting this link and if you do i will remove it right away.http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...3/86227083.htm

sorry so lengthy and thanks in advance
Mike

link to my photobucket with pictures of the corvette.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v41/liquiddragon/
liquiddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
qksilver

Re: whats worth more?

really clean 75-79 vette's in this area are going for 5-8 grand......except for the aniver/pace edtions.
A low mile 74 454 went for 13,000
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
liquiddragon

my car isnt a stock 5-8k vette and i have 20k+ just in new parts alone for the car and that doesnt include what i have in the engine sense i am trying to trade my car minus the engine for a truck minus its engine. just take a look at the custom suspension and stainless steel gas tank that also has an internal electric fuel pump. i am also looking at 67-72 trucks and i am not interested in anything newer than a 72 or older than a 67 and the engine size doesnt really matter to me even if its a 502 sense i am looking to trade minus the engines but would prefer the truck to be a SB so that things like the exhaust and other parts like the pullies and excessories will bolt up with no problems which would make for less of a headache for me and the person that i trade sense i am planning on leaving the pulleys with the car sense it requires the short water pump and compact pullies to clear the crossmember.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You need to look for a small block if you're looking for a 4X4 because they only came as smallblock and 6 cyl.The big block wasn't offered.Therefor a big block truck will have been changed(who knows who or how it was changed).Pricing on these trucks runs from a few hundred to several thousand $$$.The condition of the truck and the options will determine it's value.A truck with a mint body that has PS,PB,AC,Auto,tilt wheel,tach,and AM/FM factory radio will be worth much more than the 6 cyl,3 speed,radio delete,base model.
Beware of the quickie makeover bondo queens and look in the FAQ's on this BB for info on rust spots and places to check for other problems.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I think your request on what you want to do is too narrow but you never know. Pull the motor on the vette and sell as a roller and buy the truck you want, swap motors and then sell the motor for the truck.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike I think you going to end up really frustrated if you focus on trading your Vette. Trades are usually hard to work out as it is, but trying to trade for a truck without a motor for your Corvette without a motor isn't going to be easy.

Maybe you should buy the truck, swap the motors and sell you Vette. I think you would come out a lot better that way. Good luck with it regardless of what happens.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
72 cheyenne pdx

I think N2TRUX is right. If your corvette is worth more than what the going rate is on them, buy the truck complete with motor, do the engine swap, and then sell the corvette. If you are looking for a sb that will match up with you engine, the engine in the truck should match up in the vette. It might not look as clean as you current engine, but since it will be out, you can clean up/paint the engine out of the truck b4 you install it into the vette.

Good Luck
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
liquiddragon

well you guys are all right and all have good points and i know that it is going to be hard to find the right person that is willing to trade their truck for my car minus engines and i am also keeping my options open and i have actually talked to several people about doing a straight trade as well. there are two people in my area that are trying to sell their trucks which are pretty decent trucks and they said that if they dont have any luck selling them then they will be more than interested in doing a straight trade. one is blue and white that i have my eye on and i am hoping things work out with that one. with the engine and everything i have $36k in the car and it has all top of the line parts in it. all my neighbors think im crazy for wanting to get rid of the car but being stationed on a boat i dont have time to finish it and it is taking away to much of my time when i am actually at home that i can be spending with the wife and kid which is the main reason that i am looking to get rid of it and also so i can carry my motorcycle in the back as well.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
liquiddragon

ok so i thought about what a few of you have said and i am trying to go a different route now. i have offered a guy to trade my 1999 jeep wrangler for his 4x4 GMC (which needs work but i like the way it looks) and best of all it has a 350sb in it and an auto trans so if this deal goes through then i will swap the trucks and vettes engine and then sell the vette and use the money that i get from it and put it towards restoring the truck. i think this just might work.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:59 AM   #10
roj2323

sounds like a plann
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
see ten
WTB this ad

Another thing to consider when shopping for a 4x4 is if the truck is a legit factory 4x4 or a conversion. SWB 4x4 trucks are very rare but there are a few things you can look for. If it's a Chevy the 2nd symbol of the VIN will be a "K". Also all 4x4 trucks will have a tall trans hump in the floor. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a truck that has been converted if it was done correctly however I believe the value of a converted truck would be considerably lower. But as far as choosing between a 4x4 and a lowrider goes, why not build one of each? That's what I did!

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
....... SWB 4x4 trucks are very rare but there are a few things you can look for. If it's a Chevy the 2nd symbol of the VIN will be a "K". Also all 4x4 trucks will have a tall trans hump in the floor.
Not to mention the frame rails are totally different.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
liquiddragon

well here is a link with a list of almost everything that i have bought for this car. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1546741

see ten, i love your green and white truck. can you give me more details about it and more pictures for me to drool on..... i mean look at well i am trying to work a deal right now to trade my jeep for a 71 gmc short bed 4x4 and if everything works out and i sell my car then i am planning on getting the truck lifted like yours with some nice rims and tires but im not sure about what colors i want it but i do know that i want it two toned similar to yours.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #14
see ten
WTB this ad

Thanks man! The truck has a 4" suspension lift with new springs (no blocks) front and rear. The tires are 33x12.50 mickey thompson claws on 15x10 Alcoa/mickey thompson challenger wheels. The engine is the original 350 and the trans is a 3sp manual. It's my first truck and we have really enjoyed it.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote