The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
daddys72jimmy

carpet or linex, what did u guys do.

askin for a little favor from u guys, I dont post much, I just like reading and looking at some of ur guys trucks and theres alot of bad ass ones. alot of good people and ideas, anyways enough ass kissin, Im at the point in my project were I need to decide if I want carpet or some sort of bedliner. How about some pics of your interior and your thoughts. I do like carpet, its nice, clean, can help with insulation, its nice. but my set backs are I live all around dirt and in the winter things can get muddy. my truck will see some muddin and 4wheelin but my project is more towards a tough dependable driver, simple, but bad ass. anyways heres some pics of mine and wat im workin with. thanks alot. any thoughts please
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: carpet or linex, what did u guys do.

I vote spray in you can always put carpet over it
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
EODblake

I've been dealing with the same question and my positives/negatives are as follows.

When I bought the truck it had some household carpet that held moisture. It was so bad that the night I bought my truck I didn't sleep and was out at first light cutting the carpet out, wire brushing, and rattle canning to stop the rust. So if I do I'll stick with the right carpet.

So now I have a lot of flooring to replace. Both carpet and rhino lining will cover the hack job I'm gonna commit because my floors will be my training on welding sheet metal. Now if I have future rust issues I can lift the carpet rinse and repeat. How hard would it be to scrape rhino lining to complete rust repairs. I don't know, but I'm a couple months from having to make that decision.

Blake
EODblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've still got the original factory rubber mats.

If I were building an off-road rig, I'd go with linex or something like it. You can always put carpet over it and get a nice quite ride. If you go with Linex, fix all the rust and change out the body mounts before you do the coating.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
daddys72jimmy

Thumbs down Re: carpet or linex, what did u guys do.

i like the idea of " can always put carpet later". dont think ill be getting line x, the local body shop charges too much for me, so i was thinking somthing i can do myself.
how about the guys with a bedliner wat did you use and did you do it yourself. i will have to worry about fixin rust later. and it would probly be cheaper to buy a bedlined kit and do it myself then a carpet kit. how about rear side panels, i was thinking cuting my own out of diamond plate. what do you guys have thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
OARNGESI

I used a kit cost me about 60 its holding up pretty good sat outside in az sun for about 8 mos with no top and a moth for one the kit worked good for me later on ill do a full interior if your worried about rust you can always coat the whole inside with por15 or something then coat over it
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
BarryB

Check into Al's Liner, I'm pretty sure theres a dealer out there close. do what you want but its alot cheaper than linex.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
daddys72jimmy

wow thanks for the Al'c bedliner suggestion, it does look promising and 150 dallor kit is not bad. i did alittle search but couldnt find some real good pics to check it out but from what iv seen, it looks pretty cool.
Is that what you used BarryB. if so and at all possible can i see some pics. how long have you had it and what kind of texture( hard rubber or a little soft). thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
daddys72jimmy

hey BarryB, I see you are a dealer how much to ship to 95461. thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

I used the a rubber roll on kit. Looks good and it works but I still wanna cover it. There are some pics a few pages back in my build thread if you wanna see. When I get the funds I'll probably add this http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=98

My Build

Last edited by Big J; 02-13-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Bentblazer

I currently have a Al's liner kit in the utility room waiting on warmer weather to apply will posts pics when mother nature lets up! Plan on doing floor pans and bed.
1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

I've done both. It depends on the intended use for me.

I've done the bedliner stuff on a couple of jeep builds for my wife. Actually the last scrambler I built had carpet in the front and bed liner for the rear with a back seat added.

Our current blazer is primarily a driver, and comfort was the main goal, so it got the full carpet treatment.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
daddys72jimmy

Big J, the lmc mats would be nice but like u said "when I get the funds". im definatly leaning more towards a bedliner interior. Floors and sides.
Diamond plate door panels rear side panels and tailgate.(too much Dia. plate?).... na thanks for the interest. i will be posting pics when i get there.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
Chevy-Art

Nice gauge set up. I like it.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
daddys72jimmy

thanks chevy-art, I took out the shift light for now to finish signal and oil pressure wiring. I might put it back in. believe it or not my good friend gave me those gauges. he a dam good guy.haha
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
RAB38

I got mine linex'ed. I really like it easy to clean and no worrys if caught in the rain with the top off. The only down side is the floor can get hot from the exhaust. I just bought some heat retarding matterial to try on the bottom side of the floor boards.
72 Blazer CST 383 stroker roller, fuel inj, t350,NP205, D60 front, 14b rear, detroit locker, 38 x15.50 mtz's, welds, cross over steering, custom cage,Line X Spray in liner, House of Colors Tangelo Pearl Orange
RAB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
daddys72jimmy

RAB38, how much was it, if u dont mind and did u do the sides and rear as well. thanks
is the heat problem really a problem or is it more annoying, my mufflers are right behind my front seats.
Attached Images

Last edited by daddys72jimmy; 02-14-2010 at 10:34 PM.
daddys72jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
vtblazer

Same bacic reasoning as your dealing with, then I decided on the Lizard Skin & paint route.

Both heat & sound protection when finished.

...and I could always install carpet over it too someday if wanted.
Attached Images

Last edited by vtblazer; 02-15-2010 at 08:43 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
RAB38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddys72jimmy View Post
RAB38, how much was it, if u dont mind and did u do the sides and rear as well. thanks
is the heat problem really a problem or is it more annoying, my mufflers are right behind my front seats.
Mine is a problem where my exhaust pipes are close to the front floor boards. It is more of an annoyance, however tell your wife or girlfriend not to put her purse on the floor. My wife did this past summer and had some gum in it that melted all over everything.

If I remember correctly line x charged me around $1000 that was the entire floor and sides
72 Blazer CST 383 stroker roller, fuel inj, t350,NP205, D60 front, 14b rear, detroit locker, 38 x15.50 mtz's, welds, cross over steering, custom cage,Line X Spray in liner, House of Colors Tangelo Pearl Orange
RAB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
msgross

I'd look into the Al's liner, lizard skin or Raptor liner kits... If you need extra heat protection use some fatmat or something... that's my plan at least... then i'm gonna throw an OEM rubber floor mat over it.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #21
daddys72jimmy

thanks for all the interest, heat is alittle of a consern to me, since it gets over a hundred here in lake county, cali. and my build is more towards comfort and reliability. and i plan on keeping my a/c. but I do want the simplicity of the bedliner. maybe the fatmat stuff like msgross said. (under the truck you mean AAY!) and the rubber mats on top for extra messure. Im liking the idea, although the prep work for underneath is gonna take a bit of work. ohwell. thanks again
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #22
Blizz

look into that lizard skin stuff. it's a little pricey but sure does keep the floors cool. there's a demo at some car show where they take temps and it's really impressive. i think i'm going to go that route once i get my stuff done. VT, can you line-x over lizard skin? i just like that line-x or rhino lining is pretty impervious and if it gets dirty, you can just take a hose to it.

'96 2dr Tahoe 4x4 daily driver, Black Bear Performance tune, 285-75-16 Nitto Grapplers, Magnaflow muffler, K&N Air filter, Bilstein Shocks.........E-fan, DT Tri Y or Pacesetter LTs coming soon
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #23
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
look into that lizard skin stuff. it's a little pricey VT, can you line-x over lizard skin? i just like that line-x or rhino lining is pretty impervious and if it gets dirty, you can just take a hose to it.
IIRC, the total coast shipped was around $650.00 (cheaper than Linex) for their 'jobber' package which includes the spray gun kit too.

Being it's painted, I'll do the same thing when it gets dirty...simply hose it out.

Linex over the top of Lizard skin seems redundant somehow.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #24
Blizz

well i like the non-skid surface of a liner...it would suck to be slipping all over inside when it rains or something.

'96 2dr Tahoe 4x4 daily driver, Black Bear Performance tune, 285-75-16 Nitto Grapplers, Magnaflow muffler, K&N Air filter, Bilstein Shocks.........E-fan, DT Tri Y or Pacesetter LTs coming soon
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #25
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
well i like the non-skid surface of a liner...it would suck to be slipping all over inside when it rains or something.
Very true!

I'm going to run carpet in the 'high wear' areas but yeah, when that paint get's wet...it's gonna be super slippery!