The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
prg machine

fuel filter leaks

I installed a brand new Pro Products 10210 inline fuel filter and 10232 3/8 male NPT to 3/8 hose fittings in my truck last week and checked close after installation with new hose and clamps etc. Then a test drive and re check. No obvious leaks. It was a last minute hurry up getting dark had to leave town dark thirty early the next morning tired and hungry job......I know, bad combination.
This weekend I got back and was getting the truck further prepared for winter and smelled the tell tale GAS ODOR!!!!! OH CR**!!!!

The leak appeared to be around the fittings that I securely threaded into the housing so I removed the filter/ fitting assembly. All anodized stuff. I discovered that the male pipe fittings into the housing bottom out before seating the taper of the threads as a conventional pipe to pipe fit is supposed to do. In other words no extra threads on the male fitting sticking out of the filter housing. I purposely used no sealants because it is for fuel.

It now has Teflon tape and the fittings are not seeping after re-installing the filter. The filter is purposely located before the mechanical Edelbrock pump on the small block to keep crud out of the pump and carb. The filter was advertised as 3/8 female pipe.
What am I missing?
Is Teflon tape acceptable in gasoline situations?
Is their an appropriate fuel approved sealant?

Help!
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
prg machine

Re: fuel filter leaks

ttt
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
bigmac73

Teflon tape will not work with gas , i would put some Edlebrock Gasket sealer or Indian head sealer on the threads
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
prg machine

Sold at parts stores????
I leave tomorrow again and truck will stay here un used till next weekend. Then I will use the proper stuff. Teflon just temporary to keep gas in the truck.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The main thing I see is that the filter is in the wrong place. There is supposed to be a strainer "sock" on the pickup in the tank to keep stuff out of the pump, which is not all that sensitive to it anyway. Then the filter after the pump to keep the fine particles out of the carburetor.
By having the filter in front of the pump, you increase the potential for vapor-lock.

You only put a filter ahead of the pump with an electric, which is far more prone to issues when trying to pass rust particles and sediment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
bigmac73

i have to agree, i just re read the OP, i would never put a filter before the pump, if it clogs then you will burn up your pump
the old sock style usually rust out over time,
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg machine View Post
Sold at parts stores????
I leave tomorrow again and truck will stay here un used till next weekend. Then I will use the proper stuff. Teflon just temporary to keep gas in the truck.

Thanks

yes, indian head gasket sealer is a small brown bottle, and the edelbrock gaschinch comes in a small can
Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
prg machine

I called tech support at Summit who sold it to me. I told them any of my other 3/8 NPT male fittings do not bottom out leaving 3-4 threads exposed at a snug thread fit. They agreed. Fittings machined incorrectly from manufacturer. I told them their are thousands out there like it more than likely.
The old saying in the machining world: Parts machined on CNC equipment are either all "right" or all "wrong". Simple as that. I have seen it too many times....................boxes of parts............tap broke early in shift and operator kept cruisin. etc. etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
prg machine

I went to the Napa parts store and got 2 new brass 3/8 male NPT to 3/8 hose fittings and Indian Head sealant. problem solved. I called Summit to return fittings and they said do as I like with them, throw them out or whatever and they credited my bank card for the price of the fittings.
Great service and customer care.
I will eventualy move the filter to after pump and use AN fittings but will run a pre pump filter for the fact that I do get some scaly material, probably rust, when I service the filter each year and clean out the element. I will look for a different size micron element for the pre-pump filter if available .

The nearby Baxters Auto guy says he has some Permatex brand fuel sealant that I am going to pick up just to have on hand. I will post the full name/number when I get it this weekend.