The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
hvychve
To The Levy

Point dist/external regulator....?

I am wondering how many early trucks out there are still carting around with the point type ignition and externaly regulated alternators, Lets see the hands . Come on dont be shy. I think that one of the best things you can do to these trucks is to change out the distributor(Doesnt need to be some high dollar mallory or excell or ???) but just good ole H.E.I, so simple to install and they work so well, if you find one, might be valueable to change the pickup coil, Module and cap and rotor, delete your resistor wire on the "r" side of the starter up , and run you a ignition hot wire directly to the battery side of the coil and your off...... also...... Why mess with those Externaly mounted regulators? So much more efficient to change over to later model, like a 75 year model or whatever fancy's you, they even have the wireless alternators, but keep in mind they wont charge at all at Idle, so beware with those, Those too are so easy to install and make work with minimal problems.... I would wonder if anyone has issues with changing these due to originality issues, or ?????? let me know I am just curious
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Point dist/external regulator....?

You 're new here I can tell.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
hvychve
To The Levy

I guess I need 1,749 post before I am considered part of the group or not new huh? hmmmmmmmmm. I guess its a harley thing
Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvychve View Post
I guess its a harley thing

Now why would you say that?

Anyway back to your question.....I changed out my dizzy for the HEI right after I got the truck. Noticed the difference right away. Just changed out my alt for an internal reg 92amp. Both swaps were well worth it IMO and purty darn easy!

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG

Last edited by Draggn66; 02-17-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
hvychve
To The Levy

Thanks Draggn66, was that difficult? I was just curious , 92 thats a pretty high amperage , nice choice
Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 AM   #6
Aarons72s

Im a points guy! Not a fan of hei's I think it is I just dont like electronics. I sell the hei's every time I get one and everyone gives me there points distributors which make me happy. I do use external regulated alternators but dont use the relay style control regulator. I use the cheap electronic version that looks just like the old version. I know it sounds like I am conterdicting myself but I cant find decent mechanical regulators so I have no choice but use the electronic ones. Mine is somewhat originality but I am just happy with the origianl technology. Call me old fashioned or stuburn, thats just me.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:30 AM   #7
hvychve
To The Levy

I guess I made a remark that was totaly uncalled for , I guess I shouldnt let remarks get to me, I dont have anything against harley's or the people that ride em , hell I would be proud to own one, Its just certain comments could be left out. I guess if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvychve View Post
I guess I made a remark that was totaly uncalled for , I guess I shouldnt let remarks get to me, I dont have anything against harley's or the people that ride em , hell I would be proud to own one, Its just certain comments could be left out. I guess if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything.

That's ok.....vettevet has rounded up the boys with their bikes, and are on the way out too meet you......have fun........

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
bandit1

I am still running points and externally regulated alternator, eventually i may change to HEI but i like points there simple.

Jared
bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
StormRider

I got my truck a year ago but it's been apart most of time. It's still got the point style dizzy and the external regulator. Is it hard to change those two out? Any threads out there on how to do it? Oh and yeah I am kinda new here. Thanks.
90 454SS pick up (sold)

1970 Chevelle Malibu 454 For Sale $8,000.

my art website http://www.louietrangallery.com/

my 68 Longstep...No Shortstep Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=296736
StormRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:09 AM   #11
corn

What was said above was just a joke. Lighten up a little. Most of us have converted our distributors & alternators & have talked about the conversions over & over. Nobody was picking on you...Welcome to the site...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

I still have a points distributor (with Mallory coil) on the L6 292 in my '68 C/10 Stepside. I have put HEIs on V8s, first in the 454 on a '67 K/10 Suburban, then cannibalized it for the 350 in my '71 K/5 Jimmy. Just lately I had to swap it out for a Mallory billet HEI. Points may need to be changed out periodically, but I've done a lot more messing with HEI systems, changing out modules, coils, rotors, caps, flyweights, springs, Vac cans, etc., than I ever had to do with the old points set up. Last HEI distr wouldn't retract the mech advance weights. No problems with the new Mallory unit yet. [Except that their "High Performance" coil wouldn't fit under the firewall, so I had to use a stock type cap.]
For my 292, I have a Pertronix Ignitor II system waiting on the shelf. Still find it a lot easier to tune up with new points, though. Old dog, new tricks.
As far as the external regulators: I still prefer the old school.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed63 View Post
What was said above was just a joke. Lighten up a little. Most of us have converted our distributors & alternators & have talked about the conversions over & over. Nobody was picking on you...Welcome to the site...
WHAT HE SAID !!!!!!!!
I'm not heading anywhere on a harley in this weather LOL
I pm'd HVY and explained my reply.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I ran my six popper with points for about 6 years. Never had any issues with it.

When I dropped the 350 in I started off with HEI.

Still have the damn ext. reg. It will be swapped for an int. reg alt. as soon as I figure out what parts I need
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
hvychve
To The Levy

Yeah, I would have to agree, there probably have been many posts regarding these swaps (like vettevet indicated in pm's) I overreacted to him and thought it was lashing out, well I am new at this sight, I have been a professional automotive tech for over 23 years and sorta took offense to a comment and would like to apologize to him for it, I already sent him a pm's but would liked all to know that I read more into the lines, and will relax like some say I should....... lets have fun I like the sight alot and wouldnt want to offend anyone.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

hvychve,we all tend to treat each other like the co-workers in the shop.We all make mistakes or say something dumb once in a while and everyone rags on us about it a little.I think that's what happened here.Many of the members with the number of posts you have listed lurked for months before they joined and I guess we all take for granted sometimes that everyone understands that we play like that.I can only recall a handful of times I've ever seen anyone on this BB say something like that,that it was meant in an offensive way.Usually the ones who did it no longer come around.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

Just changed to HEI and internal regulator this year.

That was only after the external regulator died and I didn't feel like changing points.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #18
manimal

I just finished putting a 1995 Cadillac 140 amp alternator in my truck today,along with the headlight relays.Next I will be putting a D.U.I. dizzy in my truck as soon as I get the crossmember swapped out.
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #19
69TowRig

Still plugging away with points and original regulator, but the HEI is going in soon and I've heard that those relay-style regulators don't work so well with HEI, but I've yet to read up on any of that. The plan is to rewind and upgrade the original alternator or maybe go with a CS alternator.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 AM   #20
WorkinLonghorn

I took the plunge and forked over $80+ for one of them pertronix things that goes in where the points were.Worked ok (NO discernible difference or gain over the old points.) Then one day I left the ignition in the "on" position while I did a job and the damn thing was cooked. I put the points back in and am happy with them. Still use old regulator too.
I've heard the new Pertronix II doesn't fry if left on,but I don't know and don't really care.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:21 AM   #21
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I took the plunge and forked over $80+ for one of them pertronix things that goes in where the points were.Worked ok (NO discernible difference or gain over the old points.) Then one day I left the ignition in the "on" position while I did a job and the damn thing was cooked. I put the points back in and am happy with them. Still use old regulator too.
I've heard the new Pertronix II doesn't fry if left on,but I don't know and don't really care.
Yeah, the Pertronix Ignitor II is supposed to shut off if left in "On" position. That application is an L6, and HEIs are a little harder to find.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #22
hvychve
To The Levy

WorkingLonghorn, I can relate on that , I always wondered ,what guys are doing with those accels or mallorys, and if they break down on the road, is your autozone or carquest going to have parts available ? I have done that a few times, but it was on a customers car with points, if the points are closed and key left on, it cooks the coil. I have replaced a many coils with that mistake....
Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #23
WorkinLonghorn

I heard it can burn the points too if they're in the slightly open position when you leave the key on. I don't drive my truck but maybe 3500 a year so points are ok for me. All this newfangled electrical stuff seems to just create problems,at least in an older vehicle.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #24
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

HEI I converted to. To be honest, I didn't notice much change... but whatever. Maybe it'll bail me out of something in the future that the points set up wouldn't have. As for the external regulator, I still have that. Don't really see a point to changing it. The alternator needs replacing, but the regulator is fine. No need for me to change it, and the regulator doesn't take up enough room to be considered a space hog. I'll probably do it eventually, it just doesn't seem like an essential.

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote