The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
WEBBY1

is it worth 500 bucks?

i believe its a 51? its pretty rough... cab corners are shot. needs a lot of body work. and the bed is rotted out. interior is shot also. front part of the frame looks good couldnt take a peek underneath it to look at the rest of the frame and components. i was told it rolls... it has a str8 six in it.
Attached Images

WEBBY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: is it worth 500 bucks?

That's a 54 or 55 (first series).

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
WEBBY1

thanks. worth the money?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I say no.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
swizzlestick

if your looking for a project and not just a parts truck keep looking. more money now for a better truck will put you ahead down the road.
swizzlestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
azsnow

I say yes, and Id I were closer I would ask for the location incase you decide its not. Even if you decide to part it out, you will more than make your money back on eBay. Everything can be repaired, and it looks like it is pretty complete. As far as interior being shot? How so? Its mostly metal than can be repaired with patch panels. I say get it!
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
rollinrooster

I would pass on it.
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
BlueJeep

I think it's a 55 1st based on the hood ornament. It doesn't look too bad from the pics you've posted, but there is more that we can't see that what we can. Does it have a title?

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
parkwood

I would say no on this one unless you need it for a parts truck.. Your $500 will turn into $10,000 + just to get the thing ready to paint.. Look for something a little better even if you have to pay more, it'll be worth it in the long run..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
meter swinger

Im with everyone else. As a build platform no, youll be far better off with a cleaner rig ti build. To scavenge for parts absolutely.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
55metalmonkey

I enjoy a challenge but even I would pass on it. you would be way further ahead (time and money) with something closer to a runner.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
mr48chev

Here in that conditon, NO. There if it has a clear title, maybe. No title and it isn't worth but what good parts are on it. From what I see the hood is junk, the roof is caved in and the back of the cab along with being rusted is rather beat to hell by stuff being banged against it on a regular basis for a long time. If it has a title and you are up to a lengthy and probably expensive building process it might be worth trying to get.

That said, a year ago I picked up two trucks for 100 and cut one up there and saved the cab and hauled the other home with a good title to it. Simply because they were 40 miles off the beaten path and the owner wanted to get rid of them.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
oldcouple

If you can get them to give you $700 for you to haul it away you might make back the cost of gas taking it to the scrap yard. Much better deals on craigslist.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
55metalmonkey

While taking a closer look at the pics I noticed that the front bumper looks completely caved in on the passenger side. if you wanted it for a resto I would say skip it, any hit hard enough to do that kind of damage to the front on a AD or TF likely damaged a whole lot of other stuff (ie: wrecked frame, squareness of cab ect) overall I don't see much that would justify $500

I would offer the guy $50 if it has a title and see if he bites, considering where you live there is probably dozens of better choices around.

Just a tip: You might be better off dropping in where the rodders and classic truck guys congregate in your area and ask around. Most of the guys/ girls who are into these types of things always seem to know where there is a good abandoned project waiting to be completed/ divorce sale/ or barn find to be had.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
SHORTDOG99

For parts?? Most definitely! But always try to negotiate the price down to raise your profit margin....remember, you are going to do all the work selling the parts.
SHORTDOG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
WEBBY1

Yea... Think ill pAss on it.. The scrap yard is.only ten mins away from where its parked
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #17
JumboAMONGus

make a dump hauler ,,be cool to get it running if the motor turns over ,,and just throw a old blanket over the seat ,,i paid 1500 for my 56 chevy truck but it was almost rust free but in peices atleast that things more complete hahahaa ,,,
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
mattsohc

If your going to pass, I would love to know where it is.
mattsohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #19
WEBBY1

I think im gonna buy it to scrap it and make a little coin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #20
britnjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBBY1 View Post
I think im gonna buy it to scrap it and make a little coin.
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont understand what is so bad about it. I would definately pick it up and make a cool little truck out of it. The truck is complete!! it may need some dents banged out but it IS COMPLETE!! Scrappin this truck would be the last thing I would do. If i didnt want to fix it up or buy it to part out then I would just let it set till someone else wants it or the price comes down. I am not here to bash anybody's view on what they want to do but please don't buy it to scrap it. take a look at my latest project in my sig, this looks pristine compaired to what I am about to start on.
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #21
The_BullDog

from someone that is addicted to getting trucks that i shouldnt i would say you should probly pass. if your set on that year i would ask if you could strip some parts for like 100 bucks
The_BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #22
Root2812

I'll chime in. I'd say yes its worth $500 if you have the trailer to haul it home. But negotiate if you can. If you pulled it out and its too far gone to build you can make money on that truck. It looks to have to stock engine so guys on stovebolt would probably buy some bits and peices. The rochester carb especially. Then there is the box. Thats a short bed box and I bet you could unload that for a decent price to a guy that only has a cab. In the pic the drivers fender looks to be salvageable too.

Then lets say the rest is trash because of rust. You could pull out the old cutting wheel and sell patch pannels. I see people looking for the belt line to fix a rusted one. Some people want to patch a hack job on a dash. And just a while back a guy on here was looking for a patch for the inside of the door to fix where someone put speakers in. That part isn't available.

Then you'd have a frame and what not to take to the scrapper. So basically what I am saying is that if you have the time and a trailer that truck isn't a gamble. If you spend the $500 at worst you'd make a few bucks parting it out. Or maybe once you pull it out of the bushes it may be better than you think.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
richards72chevy

I would pass if you wanted to make it into some kind of mega dollar 20 inch rim ride.If it has a title and you can talk him down a little i think it would be a cool project.It realy dosnt look too rotten being from Michigan!
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #24
BigBlocksRule

The grill would have made it worth it, but it's screwed.
Pass, unless you're looking to work your butt off to make nothing. Remember, parting these out isn't a cake walk. Most bolts will need to be cut or ground off.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
duwem

I bought my 50 as a running and driving truck. It needed work but it drove on the trailer under its own power and went around the block. Now I paid 2800 for that, not 500, but I put 600 miles on the truck this summer by only sticking a few hundred into it.

To get a truck like that around the block will take a ton of work plus money for wheels, tires, brakes, fuel system, wiring etc, now if your willing to do that and have a semi nice truck in the end to bomb around town with then sure its worth 500 bucks.

I have found that while looking for parts, if I find a "nicer than what I have" part, its still not "show ready nice" so it makes more sense to just spend the money on a very nice orignal or reproduction part. I already have a pile of used parts that are not the level I want and wont get put on my truck because they will be the sore thumb and stand out. This is a challence with parting it out. If someone has a dented fender, they probalby wont pay much money for one thats less dented because its still a dented fender.

I bought a second frame for mine, modern suspension, brakes, engine, transmission rearend, I'm really not sure how much of my orignal truck will end up on the new frame since both rear fenders are dented up, the bed is not perfect, tailgate is shot etc...
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote