The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

Por15 engine paint kit...?

Has anyone used the por15 engine paint kit? if so, did you like it?

what about Duplicolors kit? any suggestions?

Thanks,

NutZ
cornutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Does EASTWOOD make a kit, I have heard they do everything better than POR15
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
cdowns

had good results wit por15 engine paint
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 05-12-2006 at 08:06 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
matthufham

oh my god those valve covers are exactly what i want (red/finned all the way down the sides). are those z28 valve covers?
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
cdowns

1960's CALCUSTOM made them

Old 08-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
......are those z28 valve covers?
It's not a very good pic, but these are Z/28-Corvette valve covers...
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

When I was watching Truck TV, Stacy was saying something about engine dressup. I have the entire episode in an mpeg file. He says:

- Most important step is prepping the block
- Using rubber gloves, use a scotch brite pad and rags soaked in grease remover to remove gunk and scuff up the paint REAL GOOD.
- Remove any excess parts you might replace like water pumps, stock intake, etc.
- Once it's clean, tape off all areas that will not get paint (use the blue masking tape and an Xacto knife to cut it out)
- Ball up masking tape and stick it in the spark plug holes to keep paint out.
- Duplicor Engine enamel with ceramic was his suggested brand @ 4-5 bucks a can
- First, lay on a coat of primer and let it totally dry (read the can)
- Next, do several light coats (2-3) so it doesn't run (don't focus on coating completely each time or you'll probably run)
- LEt the block dry completely before touching it

This is straight from the pro

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

PS - I can probably cut that section of the episode out if you give me some time. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:26 AM   #9
zeeklu

I used the POR kit and it worked great. Chris
zeeklu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Once you paint an engine with POR15, you will never use anything else. Nothing touches the finish, not brake fluid, or gasoline, or carb spray.

I'm president of the POR 15 fan club (not really).

Here's my 454, painted with the kit.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Once you paint an engine with POR15, you will never use anything else. Nothing touches the finish, not brake fluid, or gasoline, or carb spray.

Then why do I here so much about the EASTWOOD being better?

Is it just certain products? or are people just blowing smoke?

I am so confused, I need to paint some parts w/ a rust preventative,
parts I was told not to powder coat, so what am I supposed to use?
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
Then why do I here so much about the EASTWOOD being better?

Is it just certain products? or are people just blowing smoke?
From personal experience, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think it's certain products and I think you're going to see people from both camps post in the threads, and, believe me, they'll try to dissuade you and slander the competition like it's a presidential race.

It looks like (from an Eastwood user) that Eastwood spends a LOT of money on research and development of their body restoration products. They're not just a catalog company - I can tell you - they built up their business using core people like you and me who love to restore old cars and they built their products to do just that. In my opinion, their body products are second to none, they do not require the extensive prep work that POR-15's body products do. Eastwood stays in constant touch with their customer base at their website - they have a large forum just like this one with paint tips, tricks, community support, contests, freebies and lots of other things. They are always open to feedback and will point you in the direction of what you need to know or directly help you. I've had personal contact with their people when I was having problems and I've even seen them pop in here from time to time and give people on our forum free products because they had a bad experience in the past with Eastwood. They will give away their product for free because they know once you try their products, see how much easier they are to use and how good they work, you won't turn back.

POR-15's engine stuff is supposed to rock socks. I've heard great things about POR-15's engine kit. If I had 2 cars to work on, I would probably try both products and see how they held up.

As for body stuff, there is a lot more prep work with POR-15, it's more caustic, the results you get are *incredibly* dependent upon how well you follow and execute the multiple steps of preparation and, even with perfect prep, I've heard horror stories. Eastwood body products are like ... pretty much like ... wipe it down with a cleaning solvent and shoot, the product lays down flat and even every time.

I think no matter what you use, you'll be happy. But if you're going to drop some money on it, let a professional shop paint it for you to match the color of your car or something.

With that said, I've only used Eastwood's header paint on the headers for my L6. I made a booboo - They were painted black and I should have sandblasted them before painting them, but I didn't. Everywhere I sanded off the old paint, the header paint clung for dear life, I couldn't burn it off if I wanted to - so I'd say the product worked as advertised.

Now, I'm not paid by Eastwood, I don't get kickbacks from them for advertising, I've just used several of their products and I couldn't be happier. I don't know if they make an engine paint kit or how it works. I'm just sharing with you what my experience has been.

As for the politics - I don't think people should be posting in this thread to slander any other product unless you've personally used that product. Let's be adults, leave the politics, mudslinging and slander outside the forum

Last edited by shifty; 08-13-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #13
tomatocity

What is the difference between POR15 and POR Engine Paint?

It would be good to see an unbiased comparison chart with all the different engine paints, prepartion, application, and finish.

I will throw in another brand. I am going to use Rust Doctor on the rear frame and bed underside. I will post a thread after it is complete.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #14
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Those are some damn nice looking engines fellas. TX is that the engine that went with the swb stepside when ya sold it? That was one sweet deal.

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
Tx Firefighter

Jimbo, yes the green truck is now owned by member Browndog71 on here.

XCLR8, I like Eastwood products too, but I've used POR 15 engine paint kit, gas tank sealer kit, and regular POR15 black rust coater. It's all top notch stuff. Results are impressive and make me happy I spent the money to buy POR15, which ain't the cheapest stuff out there for sure. My results are so good, I wouldn't consider anything else.

Locally, I've gotten other guys to using POR by giving them my leftovers in the bottom of the cans. They use a little of it and wind up ordering for their on projects once they see the results.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 08-13-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
cheyenne10

Por15

TX Firefiighter;

I can't remember if you thinned and sprayed paint or brushed on and it layed down.

Also is tranny a POR15 paint and color?

Nice results. I can imagine prep to get all oil qand grease off is a major task though.

thanks for sharing, I liked that stepside project.

Last edited by cheyenne10; 08-13-2005 at 11:13 AM.
cheyenne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #17
cdowns

i'm like txfirefighter have used a variety of POR products haven't been let down yet// as far as eastwood is concerned i've got the impression that they are very much like LMC they specialize in catalogue printing and distribution alot more than any real testing and or development work, good for ideas of what's available but if they have it it's available somewhere else at a lot cheaper price// Stacey DAVID??? a talking head if somebody paid him to push used septic water for your cooling system he'd be sellin you **** with a smile

as far as the prep work is concerned ?? well that's the whole deal in a nutshell no matter what product you decide on poor or no prep= bad paint

Old 08-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #18
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
Stacey DAVID??? a talking head if somebody paid him to push used septic water for your cooling system he'd be sellin you **** with a smile
He wasn't really pushing a product so much as telling you everything you need to know - different ways to paint, extras you ca do for dress up, types of paint, when to use each, how to shoot each one, pretty informative. He went over two different engines: one for a daily driver, one for a show vehicle. Gave all the ins-and-outs of what you would do for each, showed some tricks on how to color-match finned aluminum or chrome valve covers, etc. Very cool. Talks about how to polish steel and aluminum products also so you don't hafta worry about them going dull anymore also.

tomatocity - I got your PM. I'm uploading the 20min part of the show for you. The audio and video are about 1 second out of sync by the end of the show and it's ~375MB in size, so I hope you're not on dialup

Last edited by shifty; 08-13-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #19
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

I use por header paint and it works great. Instructions say to bake on but you can do like I did (I called the company and they told me you can get by with out the over) I put on two coats and let each dry good and did not burn off. Still looks like it did when I put it on the headers. Works great.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #20
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

Hey Tx... is that the Chevy red? I assume it is... It looks great! You just brush that stuff on huh? cool.....

Question... why do so many posts have to have some commentary about political blah blah? I asked a simple question, and I personally WANT to HEAR what people have to say, I dont think anyone was mudslinging or anything else for that matter Not trying to start anything with that statement either.... I started this thread, and well, that is all I have to say about that ( ala Forrest Gump...)

Smack it, Flip it, Rub it down...... OH noooooo!
Old 08-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #21
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

I wish that Por15 cam in MORE color options... Dupicolor has a lot of engine paint colors... I really like the Chrysler Industrial Red...I know, I know... that would not be right on a bow tie motor, but the color is almost a dead on match for the color we plan to paint the burb... BUT, it is almost impossible to find that color anywhere here in the central valley, and I cant find a dealer online to buy the goods...so, dont know what to do...

NutZ
Old 08-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #22
cdowns

actually some chevy V-8's from56-57 were red//it was zoras first choice "hot rod red" but ford actually beat him into production with thunderbird red so gm went orange or so the story goes
if you're looking for more choices on engine paint there's www.hirschauto.com they've got a large selection their quality is excellent almost like por requires same prep

Old 08-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #23
Tx Firefighter

Fellows, calm down.

Don't make me put on the moderator hat over something as trivial as engine paint. I ain't had to put it on for a long time now either.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #24
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Fellows, calm down.

Don't make me put on the moderator hat over something as trivial as engine paint. I ain't had to put it on for a long time now either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutz

Question... why do so many posts have to have some commentary about political blah blah? ... I dont think anyone was mudslinging or anything else for that matter
I've seen a couple of threads recently that started like this and ended ugly with that stuff. I was just mentioning that observation in hopes that it doesn't go that way in this one too.

I'll never understand why some people get so defensive about a stupid paint product. I never recognized I was doing it in the past till someone pointed it out to me.

My comments above weren't dragging politics into the discussion. Just pointing out that people seem to react to this kind of thread in the same way they do about politics, so "be careful".

Old 08-13-2005, 07:19 PM   #25
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

Right on, Right on... I would also like to have a couple engines and paint them with these diff. products to see how they turn out/last...

But I have one to deal with...so, we will just have to see.

NutZ