The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
slow69

Question Breaking in roller cam motor

I will be helping break-in a 383 crate motor will a roller cam. I have heard several conflicting suggestions about it. So I would like some more about how long to break it in and what rpm to run it at.
I was planning to start it off at 2000 rpm and then vary it from 1600 to 2400 for 15 minutes. Is this what you would do?
Secondly, what about timing. How can I estimate initial timing without turning it on?
Thirdly, it has vortec heads and there is a spot for a water temp sensor on the head. Should I buy a sensor for this or use the normal one on the water inlet neck (on the manifold0?
Thanks guys,
Slow69
slow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:10 PM   #2
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Your procedure for breaking in the motor is fine. I usually run them a little longer, 20-30 minutes varying the rpm range from about 1,800 to 2,400. All you are really doing is seating the rings since you have a roller cam. You don't have to worry about wiping out a cam lobe like with a flat tappet cam. The break in will also get the assembly lube thinned out so you can remove it from the engine with the oil change after break in. Most cam manufacturers say not to use synthetic oil for the break in but you may want to check with your cam manufacturer. Change the oil and filter after initial break in. You can guesstimate timing but you will likely need to adjust it a little to get the engine running. Err on the side of rich rather than lean on the carb setting.

I can't help you with the water temp sensor.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
slow69

mocwon, thanks for the advice. I believe the carb is a 785 cfm (weird number) quadrajet that was just purchased and pulled out of the box. I was going to leave it the way it was for the break in.
slow69 is offline   Reply With Quote