The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2003, 11:54 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Angry Somedays it just doesn't pay...

Like the old saying goes, if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. I was all proud of myself today. I went by the GM dealer, and scoree lots of OEM goodies for the 77.

I got an overflow tank, 6 plug wire looms, and window belt line trim for both doors. They didn't have the exterior trim pieces I need, but LMC stocks those (yes Mike, I know).

I played under the hood for a few hours, cleaning and re-routing wires. I got bored with that, and decided to replace the window belt line trim. This is the trim that goes on top of the door panel, and on the top of the door.

I managed to get the old trim off the door with only one small scratch. Not good, but I can touch it up. Everything was going great, until I tried to put the drivers side door panel back on.

It would be easy to blame it on my wife because she was in the garage at the time, but I can't. It was my dumb butt that dropped the door panel. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something fly off. It was the corner of the freakin door panel.

I just set it down and walked away for a looooong time. I am so p!ssed I can't see straight. Here's the results of my stupidity...
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:09 AM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Damn, that sucks big time. Makes you feel like crying, if you though it would do any good. The bad part of the deal is you will play hell finding another good one. GM don't have them and the aftermarket stuff made by Coverlay is pure junk. Your only option is too start a search for one because I know you are anal and for sure won't leave it or try to glue it back.

Now, the next thing I notice is it looks lke it's been dyed or painted. I see the blue shining. Is this the stock panel? If it's been dyed, you are in better luck. It would be a biotch to find a nice stock color one for sure.

I feel your pain.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:21 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike, I am finding strange things on this truck that I am still trying to figure out. Yes, that is blue peeking through. I have no idea why they used different door panels, and dyed them. The interior is the correct color, so I am clueless unless the old ones were dry rotted.

Since it's the front corner, I may have no choice for now. I need to match the dye anyway, so I will probably glue it back together, and dye it for now.

I doubt I can find a decent Cheyenne style panel in the next 10 days. I have to have this thing ready for Super Chevy on the 20th...
Old 09-10-2003, 12:34 AM   #4
junkyardpartseeker

panel

I don't know about different styles of panels, but I know where there are red ones in a 77 silverado, and in a 85 silverado.

Tommy
junkyardpartseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:40 AM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Tommy,

what shape are the ones in the 85 in? What color are they? Are they in great shape? Sorry for so many questions, but I have a 85 which I have replaced my stock ones with the Coverlays. These suck.

Let me know.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:42 AM   #6
junkyardpartseeker

ervin

They didn't look to bad to me. Even had at the bottom the carpet. I am not sure if the switches were there, but I know the pull straps were already gone. I can try and get there tomorrow or thursday and get you some pics of them.

Tommy
Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 AM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

It don't matter about the pull straps anyway. I have billet trim pieces. The switches don't matter either. I have new ones. Color don't really matter a bunch either. I know they won't be black like mine, but I know how to dye them real easily. As long as they are not scratched or rotted, I would take them. These Coverlays are really getting on my last nerve.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tommy, Let me look at my brochures. I think I can make the 77 Silverado panels work. Do you remember if they were power window or not?

We are going to have to buy you a digital camera so you can bring pics back...
Old 09-10-2003, 12:51 AM   #9
junkyardpartseeker

N2TRUX

Have digital cam. That's what I use to list items on ebay with.

Yes, they were power.

Tommy
Old 09-10-2003, 12:55 AM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tommy, Just kidding about the camera. Mine are manual, but I plan to convert to power later. Do you have any idea about condition?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:57 AM   #11
junkyardpartseeker

panels

Just briefly looked at them today. From what I saw, there were no cracks. the 77 did have the pull straps and the chrome trim was not the smooth type, it had designs in them. If you understand what I am trying to explain. I am not sure if it had the carpeting on the bottom or not. I don't know if I can get out there tomorrow to take pics, but I should be able to on thursday if the panels are still in it.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:01 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tommy,
That sounds correct. The 77 trim had a scrolled design in it. The Silverado had a carpet panel at the bottom, and pull straps too. Even if I don't use them now, I am very interested if they are in usable condition.

Let me know when you can....
Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 AM   #13
Mike76251

Sorry to hear that on such a nice truck,
I would get a thin piece of stainless steel flat stock and bend it to match the inner contour of the panel, clean the surface real good with lighter fluid, and epoxy the three pieces together. It should be stronger than the original plastic that way.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:03 AM   #14
junkyardpartseeker

N2TRUX

Will let you know.

I know they also had a 76 silverado in there, but I am not sure of what the interior color was. Just saw it from a distance. the place I "shop" at has the year of the truck shoe polished on the windshields.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:08 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Thanks Tommy. You just made me feel a little better. I'm still kicking myself though.

Mike76251, yeah I have a buddy that builds scale models. I know he has something that will glue it together. With a little support on the back side, it will hold for now.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:12 AM   #16
junkyardpartseeker

N2TRUX

No problem, always glad to help board members.

Just the bad ones, I don't care much for.

Will let you know either tomorrow or Thursday. Will post here and then you will have to email me for me to have your addy to mail the pics to.

Tommy
Old 09-10-2003, 04:56 AM   #17
Nvbowtie

Bummer deal - I feel for ya, been there done that, sort of...... another way may be with fiberglass repair on the backside, hell they make corvettes outta that stuff..
1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe

Last edited by Nvbowtie; 09-10-2003 at 04:59 AM.
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:55 AM   #18
bigblock73
yeller

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Ken...it sucks!

About the blue behind the red. You probabaly have replacement GM door panels. I purchased GM door panels for Yeller some time ago...they only offered blue ones...you had to dye to match your interior. The only way you are going to find red ones is to find some NOS 77 pieces (big $$) or good used 77 pieces. If you go to your GM dealership they will more than likely be blue..or posibly black.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:36 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73
... You probabaly have replacement GM door panels. I purchased GM door panels for Yeller some time ago...they only offered blue ones...you had to dye to match your interior. ....
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I know they are GM panels, and the back side looks like new. I doubt they are 77 panels, so they must be replacement panels from GM.

I guess they had a lot of blue dye left over. I am going to call the dealer today. If they have an OEM panel in stock I will buy it and dye it rather than repair this one.

Maybe those that Tommy has found will work when I upgrade to power windows....
Old 09-10-2003, 09:00 AM   #20
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I think most of the overstock is blue, as how many people chenge their interior to blue? (waiting on the flaming!) Anyhow, doesn't the woodgrain (or silver) trim unbolt from the panel, and transfer to the new door panel? I think they should be the same on your 77.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yes, the trim insert comes off, so I can transfer it. I just called the dealer, and they don't have panels anymore. I will have to fix this one for now, and wait to see what Tommy comes up with...
Old 09-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #22
AirMale

I can't beleive the nerve of your wife distracting you when you were busy working on your sacred truck. It's all her fault
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:47 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by AirMale
I can't beleive the nerve of your wife distracting you when you were busy working on your sacred truck. It's all her fault
Trust me, I wanted to go there with it. I was so angry, I just walked away, and stared at the sky. If I had opned my mouth at all, it would have gotten really ugly.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #24
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Trust me, I wanted to go there with it. I was so angry, I just walked away, and stared at the sky. If I had opned my mouth at all, it would have gotten really ugly.
Yup, you would have been banished to couch duty for a week...but then again you can buy any damn couch you want you rich a-hole! hahaah j/k

I learned to keep my mouth shut around the misses when I get pissed...trust me.

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:01 PM   #25
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73
Yup, you would have been banished to couch duty for a week...but then again you can buy any damn couch you want you rich a-hole! ....
Man I don't know what Chris has been telling y'all, but you guys have me confused with someone else. I'm just a poor country boy trying to get by in the big city

Actually I have a nice couch, but get this. When my wife gets mad, "she" sleeps on the couch. So I'm really suffering layed out in my king size bed...:p