The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2024, 02:57 AM   #1
Nevada51

6-cyl harmonic balancer/pulley/rubber broken

Not sure what the part is, so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what I need to order. See pic.

Background: 1964 c10 with a six cyl, stock engine, fwiw. I noticed a rubber/seal part on the crank pulley seems to be failing, and has a crack in it. Engine sounds fine at the moment, but what part is this? Seems to be between the pulley and harmonic balancer? I’ve circled it in blue in the pic so you can see what I’m referring to.

For bonus points, would this be the same part for a small block V8? (just thinking ahead in terms narrowing down what I need to order.)

I need to order a workshop manual regardless, but I’m not 100% sure this would be covered in it anyway. I know I need one regardless…

Any help appreciated!

[IMG][/IMG]
Nevada51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 09:54 AM   #2
Nevada51

Re: 6-cyl harmonic balancer/pulley/rubber broken

Looking at it further, it seems the pulley and harmonic balancer is a once pice deal, with rubber sandwiched between? So given mine is breaking, do I need to order a whole new harmonic balancer?

If that’s the case, does anyone have any recommendations on where to order from?
Old 07-14-2024, 10:19 AM   #3
Agv63

Hi. Last time i got was from ebay, partsgeek was the seller. But there is others. 12bolt tom should have as well, pretty sure summit and jegs as well. The double v is most common, and cheaper from the single v when i looked at it last time.
V8 unit sits more away from engine, and a pulley can be machined to fit from backside but taking it off in future would be a real pain, (as me how i know).

Cheers.
Adriaan.
Agv63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #4
Nevada51

Thanks for the input. 12 bolt has them, and a few other places have OEM ones, so I’ve ordered one (not a cheap part, once shipping is included!). Will order the puller tool too. 30+ years of tinkering on cars and I’ve never pulled a harmonic balancer. Looks simple enough, just a bit of a PITA as the radiator needs to be pulled.