The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
DANTIP

California K20 emission question

I made a deal on a restored K20 and want to know what the YF5 "California Vehicle Registration" consisted of. I believe on 1/2 models it included the smog /AIR pump. Does anyone know for sure what it meant for a 3/4-ton?

Thx!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: California K20 emission question

Weren't 3/4t trucks excerpt from smog regs at the time? Does the SPID mention CA once or twice? One is for testing of emissions on the line (Fremont buillt?) the other is for the smog equipment I believe.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

IIRC, my K20 has a charcoal canister and of course PCV. Definitely no smog pump. Has YF5 on the SPID, nothing else. Fremont truck.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Weren't 3/4t trucks excerpt from smog regs at the time? Does the SPID mention CA once or twice? One is for testing of emissions on the line (Fremont buillt?) the other is for the smog equipment I believe.
Here's the SPID.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
jocko

For C/K20 & C30, it's just a registration/certification thing at no cost to customer. For C/K10, it cost you $15.00 to have more crap on your motor (EDIT - this statement is incorrect, see the "EDIT" below - would love to find out more from a Fremont assembly line guy! - I learn something new every day)

My 72 K20 has the option also. Kind of a weird RPO, i.e. "option" as it apparently wasn't optional! Kinda like that "Canadian Base Equip" thing - if a Canadian, it wasn't exactly optional.

Here's the VIK excerpt below. What I find interesting is that the option was "NOT available on 307 or 402"... So, it's just a 350 thing? (and 6's?? now that's a good question). HOWEVER, I could've sworn the unrestored 72 402's I've seen had a smog pump...

EDIT: actually, as I read it again and dig thru some SPIDs and old pics (and re-read Pete's post), it appears the buyer was just paying to have the emissions test performed on the 350 (and 6's?) as they come out of the factory - i.e. mandatory YF5. Not required for 307/402, and C/K20 & C30. That makes a little more sense I believe - because I don't see the YF5 code on 402-optioned trucks, but I do see it on 350 optioned trucks (all Z-Fremont).

Now that I've restated the obvious...!
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 11-27-2016 at 03:35 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
For C/K20 & C30, it's just a registration/certification thing at no cost to customer. For C/K10, it cost you $15.00 to have more crap on your motor (EDIT - this statement is incorrect, see the "EDIT" below - would love to find out more from a Fremont assembly line guy! - I learn something new every day)

My 72 K20 has the option also. Kind of a weird RPO, i.e. "option" as it apparently wasn't optional! Kinda like that "Canadian Base Equip" thing - if a Canadian, it wasn't exactly optional.

Here's the VIK excerpt below. What I find interesting is that the option was "NOT available on 307 or 402"... So, it's just a 350 thing? (and 6's?? now that's a good question). HOWEVER, I could've sworn the unrestored 72 402's I've seen had a smog pump...

EDIT: actually, as I read it again and dig thru some SPIDs and old pics (and re-read Pete's post), it appears the buyer was just paying to have the emissions test performed on the 350 (and 6's?) as they come out of the factory - i.e. mandatory YF5. Not required for 307/402, and C/K20 & C30. That makes a little more sense I believe - because I don't see the YF5 code on 402-optioned trucks, but I do see it on 350 optioned trucks (all Z-Fremont).

Now that I've restated the obvious...!
Great info. Oddly, the 402 was not available for sale in CA in a 1/2-ton. The balance of the 1/2-ton 402's that went to the other states all had K19 smog equipment. Thx for the post! The collective knowledge on the board never ceases to amaze me!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
ranger danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
I made a deal on a restored K20 and want to know what the YF5 "California Vehicle Registration" consisted of. I believe on 1/2 models it included the smog /AIR pump. Does anyone know for sure what it meant for a 3/4-ton?

Thx!
What year is the truck? There is no smog on 1975 and earlier.
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger danger View Post
What year is the truck? There is no smog on 1975 and earlier.
There is no smog TESTING <1975 (in CA) - I'm assuming that's what you're saying. There is smog equipment <1975. While I'm glad other states haven't adopted CA emissions testing rules, it's hard for me to keep track of them all. Now that I don't move around as much, it's not as important, TX isn't too bad. It's easier to pass an old truck that's safe than it is to pass a new truck with OBD II that's safe....
Old 11-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Fremont CA built - suspect it reflects state mandated emissions test on the line being CA built. I also suspect 3/4t trucks built outside CA but for sale in CA recived the same and it's reflected on the SPID too. Reg is likely regulation probably not registration.

Caveat - my Fremont built C30 w a 402 did not have mention of rpo YF5 on the SPID

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 11-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Bigdav160

My 1972 K20 was built in Flint but was originally sold in California. My SPID says

YF5 California Assy. LI
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
jocko

Very interesting, I was not aware of that. I have seen C10s with 402s BUILT in Fremont, but of course they could've gone to other states. So crazy you could build it there but not sell it there... Ha. There is one 72 C10 swb I had in mind that I ALMOST bought (still wish I had because it was a true barn-ish find) - ended up passing the info to Yote and he bought and subsequently sold it. Anyway, it was a Fremont built 402 - but the guy I went to visit that was selling it was in Vegas, and although he had owned it a long time, not certain he was the original owner. Never realized you couldn't buy a 402 C10 in CA in 72. That explains all the other C10s I've seen in other states, even from Fremont, that had a 402 had the smog equip.
I assume you could buy one out of state and bring it in? Or "smuggle" it in.. Ha. Crazy rules.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
So crazy you could build it there but not sell it there... Ha.
Well, I have seen dry counties in the Southeast where they made hard liquor, but you weren't allowed to buy it there....

Quote:
I assume you could buy one out of state and bring it in? Or "smuggle" it in.. Ha. Crazy rules.
See above....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #13
Snake Eyes USA

Old thread I know.

1975 or older vehicles dont need smog.
1968 or newer need emissions.
There is a difference as Im currently learning.
Im currently trying to register a 70 gmc c10 total frame restore with 402 engine into a 72 cheyenne super. Family inheritance.
Truck is imported from Canada to California. Been a struggle fron day one. Now we are needing to pass emissions for a grey area truck that im sure wont pass. DMV has someone they call a referee who ultimately tells you hat to do or makes the decision. Anybody go through similar?
Snake Eyes USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Eyes USA View Post
Old thread I know.

1975 or older vehicles dont need smog.
1968 or newer need emissions.
There is a difference as Im currently learning.
Im currently trying to register a 70 gmc c10 total frame restore with 402 engine into a 72 cheyenne super. Family inheritance.
Truck is imported from Canada to California. Been a struggle fron day one. Now we are needing to pass emissions for a grey area truck that im sure wont pass. DMV has someone they call a referee who ultimately tells you hat to do or makes the decision. Anybody go through similar?
I'm not sure I understand. Vehicles produced prior to 1976 do not require any sort of SMOG certification in California. If there is an engine demonstrably produced past the 1976 date, you will be required to comply with 1976 (or newer) standards, depending on the date of said replacement engine. If the engine you are using is demonstrably earlier in production than 1976, you ought to be in the clear. Of course, the emissions equipment should still be present for the year engine in question.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #15
jocko

Quote:
trying to register a 70 gmc c10 total frame restore with 402 engine into a 72 cheyenne super.
I'm not tracking - are you trying to register a 70 GMC with a 402 "AS" a 72 Cheyenne Super? Not sure that would float as VINs won't be correct, but I think I'm just missing what you're saying.

Regardless, if all the stuff you're talkin about is pre-76, you shouldn't have to smog it. Is the problem in getting it OUT OF Canada to the US? You should not have to smog it in if it ever gets there. Not sure why it would hang up at the border. Ok, fess up, what was in the bed...??
Old 12-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #16
Snake Eyes USA

The truck is in my garage in California.
4k later in importing and enclosed carrier shipping. All had been checked to be sure in can come to California. We were givien the ok to do as planned. The day we were literally being handed our plates. The lady asked her boss what to do with the old plates. Puts a call into Sac. Town, and they put a hold on everything and requested more things. There is a difference between smog and emissions.
Ca. DMV says the following for emissions. "Evidence of compliance with California emissions standards (1968 year-model and newer gasoline-powered vehicles and 1980 year-model and newer diesel-powered vehicles)."

As for the truck. It still has the same 70 gmc with 402 engine. Numbers match. But Father in law made the outside trim and and grill a 72 cheyenne. It was his favorite truck and closest to it was the gmc and he did the rest.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:09 AM   #17
thebeerbaron

I can second the recommendation for using a non-DMV registration service. Some are better than others. The one I used to bring my Miata in from my previous home state was terrible. Missed a digit on my odometer, came very close to screwing up the tax I owed by a factor of 10, etc. The one I used to register my 72 was awesome - in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Thinking about it, the difference was that the first was a registration service only. The other offered registration services as a value-add to their smog services. At the second one, they were busy and just wanted to get me in and out, whereas the first had time to screw stuff up.

Find a local smog + registration shop and bring them exactly what the DMV website says to bring for bringing an out-of-state vehicle into CA. Unless the DMV has somehow flagged your VIN/name/whatever, you should be able to walk out with new plates in hand. They will charge you a premium for this over whatever the DMV would charge, but at this point, I think we'll all agree it's money well spent.

Just to give an example of the type of place, this is one. https://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-smog-and...anorama-city-2 I've never been to this place, have no affiliation, just pulled it out of a quick search. Apparently Yelp has an entire "Registration Services" category.

Best of luck!
thebeerbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #18
jocko

Lack of rosettes may very well be THE problem, unfortunately. Does the VIN on the plate match the VIN on the title? There is no VIN ref on the engine itself, but initial Canada docs may actually show the engine serial # - might want a northern neighbor to confirm that though. Your VIN starts off like a pre-72 1/2 ton 2WD Chev, and from there I got lost... Anyone know if initial sales destination (as in country) had anything to do with VIN convention on Canadian built trucks?? I just assumed all Canadian built trucks followed the same VIN convention regardless of initial country sold in. Sorry, wish I could be more help on this.

EDIT: before going to General Quarters, I’d also ask someone on here to confirm that Canada used rosettes in 70 - I know GM USA did, but ya never know. Lotsa folks on here have Canadian built trucks - if anyone with a 70 Canadian truck could confirm rosettes that would help.

Last edited by jocko; 12-21-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #19
Snake Eyes USA

Yes they did use rosettes. When he rebuilt and painted the truck he used different rivets. Nobody contested that. Like I said it made into my garage and the idiots in DMV sac town never seen the truck. Just hoping the GM letter will avoid the emissions issue and just get the vin verified.

Quote:
Lack of rosettes may very well be THE problem, unfortunately. Does the VIN on the plate match the VIN on the title? There is no VIN ref on the engine itself, but initial Canada docs may actually show the engine serial # - might want a northern neighbor to confirm that though. Your VIN starts off like a pre-72 1/2 ton 2WD Chev, and from there I got lost... Anyone know if initial sales destination (as in country) had anything to do with VIN convention on Canadian built trucks?? I just assumed all Canadian built trucks followed the same VIN convention regardless of initial country sold in. Sorry, wish I could be more help on this.

EDIT: before going to General Quarters, I’d also ask someone on here to confirm that Canada used rosettes in 70 - I know GM USA did, but ya never know. Lotsa folks on here have Canadian built trucks - if anyone with a 70 Canadian truck could confirm rosettes that would help.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:35 AM   #20
'68OrangeSunshine

GMC VINs are different.
C = Conventional [2wd]
E = V8
1 = 1/2 Ton
34 = Fleetside
[-] = Dash means no Pennsylvania state certification [GMC only]
1 = Oshawa assembly
Z = 1970
50609 = Production sequence.

So the VIN tag on your 3/4 ton is for a C/1500 not a C/2500. It's a Canadian-made Oshawa truck from 1970, not a '71 Fremont [Z] truck.
If there is a VIN on the engine block, it's not from a truck. If the block VIN matches the number on the plate, that's a little TOO coincidental. Of course I'm a long way from Canada, so my experience is limited. Can't say why there's no ''9'' code in the VIN.

Bruceman1968 is the resident VIN puzzle expert. Maybe he'll show up.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 12-22-2017 at 02:51 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #21
jocko

GMC VINs always puzzle me, ha - but since you mentioned Bruceman's charts, now I'm really curious, because that's where I got my info - seems a 70 should start with C9E140? But clearly the VIN in the pic is Canadian and your decode makes sense - where did you find the Pennsylvania info, etc? I just thought GMC had to have a 9 in it as the 2nd digit for pre-72s?? Thanks.

last pic of this post http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...05&postcount=1
Old 12-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #22
Snake Eyes USA

I understand not having the rosette rivets may be an issue. Question. What do those who repaint their trucks do? They remove vin plates. Do they put them back using same rivet type?

The vin on plate does match vin on title. BUT! Always a butt. Though not a huge deal. Canada messed up on the vin. Paperwork. They mistook "Z" for a "5". Thats what i feel was the red flag. The vin verify paperwork sent in corrected that but I feel it may have pushed to further confirm.

Heres the thing. From import to chp inspection during import no flags were raised we had all the paperwork. Cali. DMV has deciding to make things difficult. Can only ride the lightning from here.
Here is the first thread I created when coming here. Take a read. And Bruceman is a huge help.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=742237
Old 12-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #23
jocko

Quote:
The vin on plate does match vin on title.
That's a tiny little detail that might have been more helpful somewhere around post #1. The fact that it sailed thru the border and everything else until it got to DMV just means they are the first ones to actually do their job. Hope you get it sorted out without too much more pain.

Last edited by jocko; 12-23-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #24
leddzepp

No rosette rivets? The dmv will rake you over the coals and then bend you over. Be prepared to pay a LOT of fines, fees, taxes, etc.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #25
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

On my builds we taped off the VIN plate and paint around them.