The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
1969burb

clean up for new windshield gasket

I pulled the windshield recently in order to replace the cracked and leaking gasket. What is the best way to remove the original sealer? I scraped the bulk of it off but am still left with sticky grey residue. Do I need to be very worried about it, or can I just reseal and reinstall? thanks, Steve.
1969burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
hvychve
To The Levy

Re: clean up for new windshield gasket

Well, if my memory serves me, there should be no sealer under the rubber, the rubber on these is all they use, I would guess that the track that the rubber goes into might have been rusted or rough and the window rubber alone would not be enough, so , maybe when the last time the window was out , that guy wanted a little extra insurance that it didnt leak, my guess, I could be wrong without sticking my fingers in the goooo. I would probably scrape it all off with a scraper or if that dont work, maybe some adhesive remover , if that reveals a pourous finish, you may want to straighten it out by sanding and patch panels and or re-apply the silicone goo that they had on it. good luck
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Aarons72s

Sounds like your window has been out before and they put urethane sealer in there. Dont use silicone! Only use urethane glass sealer/ adhesive. Most glass guys around here add the sealer to our type of gaskets to help keep water out behind the seal and keep from rust formation. Adhessive remover only works on the fresh stuff. Scrapeing works ok but the best way is to wire brush it off. But you will have to repaint the area if you do that. Hope this helps.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
1969burb

thanks for the replies, I'll take all the advice I can get as I only want to do this once!
1969burb is offline   Reply With Quote