The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Premium72

Exclamation Replacing valve cover bolts, coolant coming from hole??

So i was tinkering around cleaning some things inspecting some things today, i pulled the valve cover gave everything a look, slapped the cover back on, as it happens many times to more than just me..im sure, some gremlin stole one of my cover bolts..ha, just slipped out of my hand fell thru the truck somewhere, and i couldn't locate it, i had a few valve cover bolts form my 6 that was in my 49 coupe, they were just a tad bit longer, maybe 2-3 threads longer. So I put it in its place,i hand screwed in, then with just the speeder wrench to snugg em all up. I noticed the one bolt was leaking.. i pulled them all out, and noticed coolant coming from the hole?? WTH?!

What did i do here? Seems as i may have went through the head gasket? is this possible. Im just learning the ins and outs of these 6ers, so please excuse my ignorance fellas.

What did i do how do i fix it?
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
pimpston65

Re: Replacing valve cover bolts, coolant coming from hole??

holy s$$t batman, are you kidding me i bought a 283 7yrs ago running on a run stand no issues never ran it since. so last week once i finished my rolling chasis i started it up and ck'd for leaks the same thing happen'd to me i used longer bolts as i was having the oem ones cleaned and black phos coated. anyway as the engine was running i saw what i thought was oil coming from the valve cover gasket so i took the cover off only to find coolant coming from the hole like urs, holy cow. what i think happen'd we broke through a water jacket and not the head gasket as the bolt is not long enough and im sure we didnt put over 100 lbs of torque on it. so i went to a engine builder and he said it happens alot and to use teflon tape of liquid shalack on the bolt to stop the leak. it actully stopped when i tight'n the bolt down without the teflon but when i start to put body to frame ima do the tape thing and running the engine for a hr or so while ck'n oil pressure and temp and if i have any issues i will service the head before i put the truck back on the road, i hope this helps
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Premium72

Haha yeah pimpstone I'm all holy balls, there's no way I just split this damn head in half by hand! I know I'm pretty m ch a bad a$$, but what the effin eff! Rage set in, then a mild depression... Hahah, so that's good to know.

What exactly happens here?
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
pimpston65

i knew it wasnt to bad as i built about 4 or so engines and knew what i did i just never did it before and u dont expect coolant to come OUT the valve cover hole, anyway its a quick fix and we need not tight'n so much as the cover just holds the gasket in place, ima take all them long ba$tard$ out and put the short boys back. when i saw ur post i was like i dont remember post'n that as it just happened and i didnt have any cameras around hehe glad to know long bolts and short holes dont mix. hope other members dont run into this issues and if the do to know its not the death blow to an engine just. step away from the wrench.. not too tight
Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
ssxty8

In some small block bolts, and in Ford flathead's cylinder head bolts, I've used Permatex high temperature thread sealant with great results.
ssxty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
pimpston65

Ponće in the house hey PR. hows the weather!!! my ex-wife is from PR been there round 10X's i love it my grown kids are mixed i wont tell u what i call em being half black and half rican. anyway will that stuff just seal, and not lock? cuz if the valve cover needs to come off cant have it locked
Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
ssxty8

Thumbs up Re: Replacing valve cover bolts, coolant coming from hole??

Hello there. Weather is great, a bit too hot for my taste tho.(around 90° in my area) The sealer won't be permanent, as I have removed bolts afterwards, and also says that on the specs. Your kids half & half? :-) think we all have some mix in our veins. We have a saying here, "Y Tu abuela donde esta?", which means, "where's your grandma?"
Take Care and good luck with the repair.
ssxty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
pimpston65

theirs is in juana dias,PR. and mine is in detroit,mi. thks for the tip i will look for that stuff fersure