The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
kanuck

column wiring question

I have a 1984 lwb 3/4 ton that I just picked up that was parked for a year as the ignition screwed up. The key flips over all the way to the start position but nothing happens and the key does not spring back. I pulled the cover off under the column and tried to push the lever at the end of the steel rod attached to the ignition key, but still no contact. The headlights and emergency flashers work but that is all that I can get to work in the entire truck.
Anyone have any ideas of what I should look for????
Thanks for any help I can get.
'70 LWB 350 on propane...beater
'69 LWB 350/T400 body restored
kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
82chevy350

Re: column wiring question

like towards the very end on the column towards the floorpan there is a ignition switch that the rod fits into and that controls it the emergency flashers is on a different plug in the ignition is by itself

'82 Primer White c10 2wd LWB 350 sbc t350
(Hot Rod)
'90 2wd LWB Silverado 350 tbi 700R4
(Daily Driver)
'53 m38a1 Willys Jeep
(Toy)
82chevy350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Kanuck. First things first. What works and what doesn't? 4 ways, signal lamps and brake lamps don't count right now. What we are concerned about is the ignition switch and the mechanical drive for it. Drop the upper part of the colunm and pull it down so you can see whats going on. Once you have it down, locate on the top of the colunm a rod that goes under the ign switch. Turn the key to "on". Do any indicator lamps come on and did you see\feel rod move? Rod move & no lights? Probe ALL red wires on ign switch, they should be hot. NO? backtrack wireing and find open. YES?, turn key to "crank" position, purple wire should go hot. NO? replace ign switch. YES but no starter, check wireing to starter and retest. If purple goes hot at starter but no crank, replace starter. If rod doesn't move but key turns your going to have to rip into the upper colunm and find the mechanical reason. You will find a broken part. Could be the gear on the end on the lock cylinder or the rack it drives. In tilt colunms it's usually the rack. On no tilt it's usually the rod broken out of the rack end. Best guess is the switch. If you have one handy, plug it in and operate it using a small screw driver or a pick. Before you hook it up, move the slider so you get the feel. The spring inside the switch will tell you which way is start. When it snaps back is "run", one more click is "off" and one more click is "accessory". This is a shortened diagnostic checklist as well as I can explain it. You might find something I missed so think first, act second andd you should be ok. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
kanuck

Thanks James, that is what I was looking for. It is a tilt column and I know by looking at the lower part of the column while turning the switch that the rod doesn't move anything. I did try to push the lower switch that the rod connects to with a screw driver but nothing. Will try to fpllow the wires and see what I get.
Thanks
'70 LWB 350 on propane...beater
'69 LWB 350/T400 body restored
kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote