The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
ConradBSomething

68 gauge bezel, not enough holes?

Soooo.... I've got a 68 stepside basket case I'm working on and at i have two gauge bezels both seven hole but mine is lights wiper and choke. The bezels I have are just wiper and lights. I need that third bottom left hole.

I was just about to but them on feeBay when I noticed hey have intentions in the back for two holes were the wiper, and (I think) throttle knobs would be.

So my question is, Could I just drill that hole out wear the wipers would be? It would say wiper above it, but that's cool with me. I guess the ones I have are in fairly good shape no cracks or what not, so I kinda hate to drill it, but the new and used correct ones I see for sale are usually $50 and up. I'm on a budget so dropping the dough when I could just make a hole seems silly.

Any one ever drill one? Is it blasphemy to drill? Am I being a cheapskate? Any one got the 7 gauge 3 knob model they would barter for two 2 knob Types. Ones bubbled wood grain sticker and the other black with chrome surround. Both scratched but not cracked. I just don't wanna hassle with eBay.

Any insight appreciated. : )
Posted via Mobile Device
ConradBSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
DesertCat

Talking Re: 68 gauge bezel, not enough holes?

Welcome!

The best answer is to post them for sale on the board here and buy the one you want with the money from that. Without seeing what you have, it's hard to tell the value but they might be rare and worth a lot.

For me, I sold the original one I had and bought a $30 aftermarket one to hack on... so no real loss if I make a mess "customizing" it
Best thing you can do is pony up the $20 for a premium membership and buy/sell on the parts forum. Best $20 I spent for my truck hands down... saved a TON of $$$ over buying on Ebay. Got to sell a bunch of stuff that I didn't need and gave some stuff away too. All better than dealing with Craigslist or Ebay.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
GMCJOE

Re: 68 gauge bezel, not enough holes?

I started a thread on wanting to build a gauge cluster on here the other day. I searched the for sale section and found a donor cluster that a member has. He still has one for sale. The one he has is in pretty good condition. It is gauge cluster 1 and he is asking $30 for it.

Here is the link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=540959

Link to my thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543460

With any thing, you can modify it and make it what you want. Get creative.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Lights and wipers were on the left; the choke was on the right end of the cluster, if it had a manual choke.

I have a '68 cluster and it has lights on the left and wipers on the right. If it had an automatic choke....no manual choke was needed. Looking at the back side, I see the places you reference.

So, does your engine have an automatic or a manual choke? Does it have an engine?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
GMCJOE

Do any of the gauge cluster's you have, have the factory tach?

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
ConradBSomething

Thanks for the responses everyone. No unfortunately neither are tach clusters. Thanks for the link joe, but I found a new repro on the bay shipped for $50 so I'd probably just do that before dropping $30 on a used one.

It's a manual choke motor, but I'll probably switch to electric. I didn't realize there was a membership fee for buying and selling. I'll probably just drill the hole, and see what happens I can always use as a base for custom gauge cluster base later if I butcher it.

I'll try to post pics of both, maybe you all may know which would be worth trying to sell and which gets the axe. Neither are in super condition so they might both be worthless
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
leddzepp

Welcome to the forum! You do not need to be a subscribing member to buy parts listed in the for sale section, but you do to sell them, or ask what yours are worth.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
ConradBSomething

Ok, gotcha. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device