The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
ChevyK10Dan

65 VIN Rivets

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the site but I have owned a 64 K10 short bed for around 7 years. I recently bought a 65 C20 from a friend of the family for $200. It has no engine or trans but the cab is rust free.
It has a little damage to the driver's side rear cab corner but nothing major. He bought it in 68 and it has been in the central California area all of its life. It does have some rust in the doors and fenders and a little bondo on the bed but the cab is rust free.
It also had the power steering, power brakes, auto transmission, and custom cab options.

I plan to use the 65 cab to replace the rusted out cab on my 64 but I had some questions I thought I would ask first.

My 64 has the VIN tag spot welded to the B pillar like it should, and the 65 has the VIN tag riveted to the door jam above the door like it should be.

The pink slip says the C20 is a 65 model first sold in 64.
My concern is the type of rivets holding the VIN tag in place. They are normal round rivets not the flower shaped rivets I have seen on later years.
The VIN on the frame matches the cab and I have a pink slip in my name, It has the original rear black/yellow CA license plate too. The truck is on a planed non op to avoid paying registration fees.

I have seen another 65 model year in my area that has the round rivets and not the newer flower shaped rivets, but I was hoping someone with knowledge on this subject could help inform me if this was done by the factory/dealer or illegally.

Did GM use round rivets in late 64 on the 65 model? I have seen others bring up this topic on GM full sized cars but it would make me happy to hear from others that have a GM truck 65 model made in 64 with round rivets.

It would not be a concern if I was not planning to use the cab on my 64. I have pinks on both trucks but I do plan on going to the CHP for an inspection when the swap is done. I have been through this with a toyota and its not that bad if you have pinks on both vehicles.
I just don't know what to think of the round rivets on the 65.

We have random road side inspection every once in a while here in town so it needs to be legal or I will lose it. The last time I went through a road side inspection in 2008 I was in my 94 toyota pickup they checked all the VINs, lights, speedometer and the brakes.

I know they will install a new VIN tag after the cab swap and it does not bother me, I do not plan to sell the truck. It does concern me that the VIN rivets might not be correct so I do not want to do all the work swapping over to a useless cab.

Any help would be great.

I will try to include pictures.

Thanks,
Daniel
ChevyK10Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
ChevyK10Dan

Here is a picture of my 64 K10.

Last edited by ChevyK10Dan; 03-08-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: still no picture
Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
ChevyK10Dan

Thank You for your input LILRED66 I have read alot of your posts and hoped you would reply.

I have a 79 Toyota 4x4 with an 89 Toyota body, cab and drive train on it. Here in CA I was able to do the swap and take it to the CHP for a vin verification. With both pinks it was no big deal they made a CA blue Vin tag that matched the original 79 frame VIN and riveted it in the drivers door jam, and one on the firewall for the smog guy.
I will do the same with this truck so it will be a legal swap, but I was concerned the CHP might think the VIN tag was tampered with if it has the round rivets. I don't really care about the collector value I have no intension of selling it. If they install the new CA VIN tag it will have the original number stamped into it so it will match the frame for random inspections.
I know its more trouble then its worth to most but it is the legal way to get it done.

I was hoping that others could confirm the use of round rivets to put my mind at ease a little. Both trucks I own were made at the Fremont, CA plant.

Thank You, for the warm welcome to the forum.
Sorry the picture is not the best, I had trouble loading from my computer so it is a scan of a 4x6 picture.

It has been a long project that will never be completed.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Re: 65 VIN Rivets

I also think there is some variation from plant to plant, or during the model year within the same plant.

As an aside, my '65 GTO, which is in original unrestored condition (Dad was the original owner) - has round headed rivets.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I have several '60-'66 Chevy trucks and I have seen the following fastening methods:

round head rivets
rosette head rivets
spot-weld

It appears the mounting method of choice, my have been plant-specific, versus universally done throughout the model years.

If you have pinks to both, transfer the VIN along with the donor cab, even though the frame VIN (last 8 alpha-numeric) does not match the cab, otherwise, transfer your original VIN onto the donor cab, so the VIN and frame match.

I have seen the rosette rivets on eBay, but I don't know if there are any currently listed. Some of the high-end restorations require them and points are deducted, if they are not correct.

PS - Welcome to the forums from Kansas City, KS. I have a lot of family members in Northern CA (Willows/Butte City) & Southern OR (Medford/Central Point). Thanks for sharing a photo of your 4x4. Nice rig.

Last edited by LILRED66; 03-08-2010 at 02:55 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

my 65 has the round rivets..
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
nbrfd007

Round on my 62, they look orginal.
Attached Images

nbrfd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
ChevyK10Dan

Thank You, to everyone that responded, I do feel more comfortable about the round rivets being factory.

I know it seems like a lot of trouble for nothing to some, but my grandfather was a Deputy Sheriff for many years, so there is no question it will be done the legal way.
I live in an apartment complex and am doing the swap at my grandparents, so when completed the truck and new cab will go through the inspections needed to be CHP approved.

I have a 59 GMC that also has round VIN tag rivets but I was concerned when I noticed the spot welded tag on my 64 and the flower rivets on later trucks.

Here are a couple pics of my parts 65.

Just after buying.

After some disassembling.

Thanks Again,

Daniel