The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
atcavage

Problems on a C10

I have a '72 C10 with a brand new 350, and for no apparent reason (except the stero is loud) the engine floods. Since I can't hear the engine I see all my gauges drop to the off positions and I have no power. All the accessories work fine, just the engine does not. I'm always driving when this happens so I end up stalling and having to restart on the side of the road. It seems to happen on (of course) a hot engine, when I'm slowing down or stopping, after I've either driven longer than I usually do or been in traffic. My mechanic said it was the clutch not engaging but all he did was adjust the cluth and didn't look anywhere else. This seems to happen ever few months or so and I have no other major related problems. I've changed fuels several times and even adjusted the carb, but it still floods. Can anyone help me out? Also, if you have a column shifter, change the bearings on the linkage if you want to keep it that way.
atcavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
SWEET7T
Try spinnin 4 rear tars

Floats sticking open?! I had an old 4-barrel that would sometimes flood the engine after I ran it wide open. The floats would just stick, and fuel would keep dropping into the barrels and it would of course flood.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
chevymaz
What are you looking at?

if the carb is a Holley. Check the power valve. Mine was doing the same thing and I changed the power valve and it took care of the problem

1971 GMC LWB
2005 Honda Element
2007 Honda Fit

chevymaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

No help, but welcome to the board from South Mississippi. How bout posting some pics of your ride.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
kaycee

LOSE ALL POWER

Gauges go out ,It sounds like maybe a wire is frying somewhere could it be on the manifold,Header to the starter.Does the dist. power wire got a good connection.Just few guess's Good Luck
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:52 AM   #6
walker

If all guages, including fuel and heat guages, then it is most lilely an electrical problem. Try looking into your ign switch, power supply on the p/s fender by the batt, body plug on the firewall, or fusebox. I have never seen an engine flood when running at driving rpm's. Doesn't mean it won't happen, I've just never seen it. Guages are a give away that it is not a fuel problem, if your engine stalls the coolant and fuel guage will stay where they were until you turn the key off.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote