The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Paul V

Help me choose a lowering kit

As per title i need a bit of help choosing a lowering kit for my 1971 C10

1st one is ECE 4-6 kit
4/6 Drop Kits (2.5" Drop Spindles, 1.5" Drop Front Coil Springs, 6" Rear Drop Coil Springs, 4 KYB Shock Absorbers, Super Track Bar Kit, Shock Mount Relocator Kit) (Drop Spindles require Disc Brakes)
Cost $799

Looks like a good kit and i know it is recommended on here ( looking at the searches) but there is no mention of a C notch on the rear.

2nd one is Brothers 63-72 "ultimate" Suspension Kit - Drop Spindles

This is it! If you want the ultimate ride, stance and handling from your classic, you want this kit! All of these items have been tested, both separately and as a complete package in a number of BROTHERS projects but most noteably on our Project 1971 Suburban. In this Ultimate Kit you get drop-spindles, a complete set of lowered springs, sport shocks and anti-sway bars. In the rear, we've included our custom lowering springs, 1-1/2" lowering blocks with U-bolts, bolt-in C-notch kit, shocks, and an anti-sway bar. This combination retains full suspension travel by the use of the C-notch kit in the rear and the drop spindles in the front.
Cost $1379

It does not state how low it is on there site but i just called them and they say it is 4 1/2 on the front and 5 1/2 on the rear, confusing as it comes with a C-notch for the rear but it is not lower than the ECE 5 1/2 V 6"

The brother kit does come with front and rear sway bars which i think is why the kit is more money.

So any input guys Or recommend another kit
Too many 2 Stroke Motorcycles To List !
Paul V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Ekliptix

Re: Help me choose a lowering kit

I have the ECE 4/6 kit + their front swaybar. It's actually 4.5/6.25 after trading the kits front 1.5" drop coils for the 2" drop coils, and adding 1/4" rear drop blocks.

No complaints about the ECE kit. Handles much better now and looks good in my eyes. Good support from ECE, to fill in some blanks from the instructions.

A few comments:
- The c-notch is not required with the ECE kit (I have not had an issue in 1yr since the install).
- ECE shipping is costly, so compare the shipping costs between the two.
- The Brothers one sounds like it comes with front and rear sway bars. You can always add these later if you wish, with the ECE kit.

Assuming the quality of the two is the same, I'd go for ECE at the lower cost.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Paul V

Thanks for your replies guys, leaning more towards the ECE kit then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
- ECE shipping is costly, so compare the shipping costs between the two.
Now there is the BIG issue ! i am in the UK and they want $512 to ship the kit to me !! OR just over $100 to the US.

I have got to order loads of parts
[LIST][*]Ididit column[*]Headers[*]Steering and front end rebuild parts (ball joints ect) [*]Rear brake drums / shoes etc [*]Seat belts [*]Suspension kit
And some other small parts, i am finding it hard to find a vendor who can supply me all the parts so they can go in one shipment.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul V View Post
Thanks for your replies guys, leaning more towards the ECE kit then

Now there is the BIG issue ! i am in the UK and they want $512 to ship the kit to me !! OR just over $100 to the US.

I have got to order loads of parts
[LIST][*]Ididit column[*]Headers[*]Steering and front end rebuild parts (ball joints ect) [*]Rear brake drums / shoes etc [*]Seat belts [*]Suspension kit
And some other small parts, i am finding it hard to find a vendor who can supply me all the parts so they can go in one shipment.
Reach out and see if a board member would be willing to have everything you need shipped to his/her residence and then would package it up into one shipment and ship to you in the UK. I'd gladly do it but I'm in Canada so its not practical. If someone from California ( where most of the suppliers are ) or on the East Coast would be willing to help ,I think that is the best bet.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Paul V

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
What are your plans with the truck? Will she see any track time?

What about Hotchkis?

http://www.hotchkis.net/
Big plans just not yet,

LS3 6 speed manual, full porterbuilt level 3 front and rear, big brakes etc. The issue is i don't have the time at the moment for it and just want to enjoy the truck for the next year or so, and here in the UK we have an inspection every year and it will not pass as it is at the moment due to wear in the shox/ joints etc so need to replace them and thought i would lower it at the same time.

Just looked at hotchkis and it looks very high end stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Reach out and see if a board member would be willing to have everything you need shipped to his/her residence and then would package it up into one shipment and ship to you in the UK. I'd gladly do it but I'm in Canada so its not practical. If someone from California ( where most of the suppliers are ) or on the East Coast would be willing to help ,I think that is the best bet.
Yes that was plan B, i will ask my forum friend "wreckedchevy" if he can help
Old 01-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Paul V

Just thought i would update this.

Went for the ECE kit in the end with the front sway bar, along with a front end overhaul kit and a rear brake overhaul kit. Shipping still killed though Total was $2,800, $1,024 of that was shipping Via USPS.

Just goto to wait for the parts now and have the pleasure of paying tax and import duty.

Onwards and up wards
Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

I bought my kit from CPP. no complaints, Infact I mentioned this site and the gave me a discount on shipping.
Have also heard many members rave about Early Classic.
In my experience with Brothers, I have had to wait for many parts because they did not have everything in stock.
Good luck

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 PM   #8
johnmiller66

I put an early classic 4/6 on mine. Went on without a hitch. Excellent quality and a great tech department. They recommend not notching the frame and just trimming the bump stops. I have never felt it bottom out in the year it's been on.
johnmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
Mr Handy

ECE all the way. They helped me piece together my set as I already had a few odds and ends. And when I wasn't happy with how the front was sitting, they sent me a new set of springs with a return shipping label for the first set... I did not ask them to do this as I did not think it was their fault, but they did it anyway.

I have 2.5 spindles in the front and 4" spring in the rear. I also have front and rear sway bars and shock relocates and the super track bar... I love the way it handles and the ride is not harsh.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I've been on tis site since 2003 and have never heard a bad word about ECE their products are top notch and service the same. If you call ECE they will spend as much time as necessary talking with you and to figure out a suspension plan for your truck.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
cebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I've been on tis site since 2003 and have never heard a bad word about ECE their products are top notch and service the same. If you call ECE they will spend as much time as necessary talking with you and to figure out a suspension plan for your truck.
My ECE springs are great and 100x better than the CPP springs I had. With this said, my ECE springs rusted completely overnight which was generic to me and they also shipped them coiled together which was very odd and a nightmare to get them apart (it took longer than the install did). With this said, I would buy again but get the springs powder coated after purchase this time around and if they shipped them coiled again, I would make them take them back and send me another set.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
stomper

My only complaint with the ECE kit is the trac bar or panhard bar has to be disconnected to adjust the length. Only one end is threaded. The styles that have both ends threaded LH/RH are adjusted much easier. That being said, it's something you should only have to do once.

Also, I chose to add bags in the back because it's so easy to do. With that you can adjust the ride height depending on load.

Then, the next step is a C-notch and drop blocks because I like it to sit level.

Thirdly, I cut another 1/2 coil or so out of the ECE springs in the front because I could get the back lower with the notch and blocks.

This truck also has CCE's tubular UCA's for better front geometry.
Attached Images

Last edited by stomper; 01-08-2020 at 11:07 AM.
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
slowcpe

if I was going static drop, I'd go ECE for sure. When I got my first truck I looked at most kits and even talked to ECE. Great guys to deal with and read nothing but praise about the quality of their product.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
SierraMtns

Quote:
As per title i need a bit of help choosing a lowering kit for my 1971 C10

1st one is ECE 4-6 kit
4/6 Drop Kits (2.5" Drop Spindles, 1.5" Drop Front Coil Springs, 6" Rear Drop Coil Springs, 4 KYB Shock Absorbers, Super Track Bar Kit, Shock Mount Relocator Kit) (Drop Spindles require Disc Brakes)
Cost $799

Looks like a good kit and i know it is recommended on here ( looking at the searches) but there is no mention of a C notch on the rear.

2nd one is Brothers 63-72 "ultimate" Suspension Kit - Drop Spindles

This is it! If you want the ultimate ride, stance and handling from your classic, you want this kit! All of these items have been tested, both separately and as a complete package in a number of BROTHERS projects but most noteably on our Project 1971 Suburban. In this Ultimate Kit you get drop-spindles, a complete set of lowered springs, sport shocks and anti-sway bars. In the rear, we've included our custom lowering springs, 1-1/2" lowering blocks with U-bolts, bolt-in C-notch kit, shocks, and an anti-sway bar. This combination retains full suspension travel by the use of the C-notch kit in the rear and the drop spindles in the front.
Cost $1379

It does not state how low it is on there site but i just called them and they say it is 4 1/2 on the front and 5 1/2 on the rear, confusing as it comes with a C-notch for the rear but it is not lower than the ECE 5 1/2 V 6"

The brother kit does come with front and rear sway bars which i think is why the kit is more money.

So any input guys Or recommend another kit
What are your plans with the truck? Will she see any track time?

What about Hotchkis?

http://www.hotchkis.net/
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
KyleSeal

I pieced together my kit to make sure I got everything I wanted/needed, I have a 3/5 drop. Shock relocators, bent trac bar, kyb gr2 shocks, 5 inch CPP springs, 3 inch cpp springs and that's all I needed. It was easier for me to save money and pile up parts overtime and install all once I got the last piece. Just my 2 cents

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #16
68basket

Matts classic boweties sells those columns and is a forum supporter here. CHeck the vendors section. I use to live in England because my dad worked for the us government in the us schools on the bases. We had everything shipped in an APO address. Do you know anyone associated with airforce that could get shipments at an APO address and possibly save some?
68basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #17
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

I live near ECE, and am a continual "cheerleader" for their parts and service. Plus, not that what I do matters to anyone but me,
but I like to give what money I do spend to good people. Like a lot of Vendors on this forum, they are THAT. For sure.

I'm willing to collect any parts from them and send them off to any Forum Member.

But here's the problem with that...These guys are pros. They ship to everywhere in the U.S. and all over the world.
That makes them pro shippers.

And, they don't gouge on shipping. It's simply expensive these days...With a capital "E".

So, if anyone wants some help from this end (Central California), whatever the task, I'm always glad to oblige.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #18
Paul V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68basket View Post
Matts classic boweties sells those columns and is a forum supporter here. CHeck the vendors section. I use to live in England because my dad worked for the us government in the us schools on the bases. We had everything shipped in an APO address. Do you know anyone associated with airforce that could get shipments at an APO address and possibly save some?
Thanks, Sent Matts a PM, got a super fast reply, had a chat on the phone with Kim and now just finalizing things, thanks for the heads up.

I have a RAF airforce base 2.2 miles away. The gym i use is right by there and some members from the RAF use it so will ask next time i see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
I live near ECE, and am a continual "cheerleader" for their parts and service. Plus, not that what I do matters to anyone but me,
but I like to give what money I do spend to good people. Like a lot of Vendors on this forum, they are THAT. For sure.

I'm willing to collect any parts from them and send them off to any Forum Member.

But here's the problem with that...These guys are pros. They ship to everywhere in the U.S. and all over the world.
That makes them pro shippers.

And, they don't gouge on shipping. It's simply expensive these days...With a capital "E".

So, if anyone wants some help from this end (Central California), whatever the task, I'm always glad to oblige.
I can see they are a good company and i am very happy with there service. It is just a shock how much shipping cost in the USA ! I run a Ecommerce shop for motorcycle parts and ship all around the world, for me to ship the same size weight from the Uk to the USA would cost around $300 at the most. So you can see why i baulked at the price.

Thanks for the offer of help, its nice to know people thousands of miles away who don't even know you are prepared to help.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #19
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Thanks for the offer of help, its nice to know people thousands of miles away who don't even know you are prepared to help.
Very welcome. I think, in a real way, most of us know each other. Like, I pretty much know you'd do the same for someone
here that needed something over there.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:25 AM   #20
adricar1

Paul you have forgotten me i ship form the states on average every two weeks.
adricar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
KMAT

This form is so awesome a person gets really good feedback in information from others still here I go again I'm ordering a drop kit from Speedway Motors for the front of my 67 C10 the kit does not offer add drop spring and they do not have upper and lower a arms my question is where should I look for a good a arm upper and lower with a spring kit from and I've seen others replace just the upper a arm with a tubular and not the bottom is that okay to do? I will try to post a picture with this reply as to why I want to replace the upper a arms as you can see in the picture there's an issue somewhere here.
Attached Images

KMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #22
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Here is a link to the original 67-72 C10 Suspension experts.

https://www.earlyclassic.com