The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
john@thepier

'in your opinion'

Is a very nice 67-72 truck worth more to you original (paint,etc.)or restored(paint,etc.)I'm talking one with very low original miles and usally a few minor dents and scratches,and maybe some surface rust on frame etc. I'm curious because I personaly like to find them all original which is not at all easy to do, as we all know.also and I know things vary but,dose changing engines ,transmissions help or hurt in your purchasing a truck.EXAMPLE say a 67 41,000 original miles 283 v8 ,2 speed power glide ,original lite blue paint.very light surface rust.CHANGED TO say another color,more powerful engine and a 3or4 speed auto transmission.I'm just curious I have nothing to sell at this time . JOHN
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
longnlow72

personally i like trucks that are changed, its just personal opinion but i dont like trucks or cars that are stock i like them customized imo
72 Chevy lwb, cowl hood, shaved antenna, shaved bedrails, blazer tank, sidemarker fill, 1pc windows, flowmaster 40's, alpine deck, infinity 6x9's, infinity 4"ers, 2 jl audio 10w0's, grant wheel, keyless entry and alarm, more waiting to be done...
longnlow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
shortymac83
hmm...

I like stock trucks better. WHen they're stock, it can take you back to another time. I'm pretty much expecting to get in my truck after I restore it, and except for radial tires, be taken back to 1967. It's going to be totally stock, and as good looking as it did from the factory.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Harold Shepard

I personally would rather them to be original, restored or unrestored. I currently am working on a truck that is plain as they come and in generally rough shape. I intended to customize the truck some- relocated gas tank filled stake pockets, just little things yet the urge to go stock is almost uncontrollable, thought I would go with engine chrome, decide to use stock components and my be break from stock- not to paint the correct colors but use hammer tone black instead of sem- or chassis black. Stock stock stock more people will be interested, as it will appeal to more.
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
cableguy0

it really doesnt matter to me im gonna change stuff if someone else already did some of the work and spent some of the money for me great. i dont like things stock i mean i like to make my vehicles the way i want em and dont care what others think about em they dont have to drive i do i make it comfortable for me
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:33 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've bought three short bed trucks with original paint. All of them needed a paint job in the worst way, but they were honest trucks.

By honest, I mean they aren't hiding any ugliness underneath the paint.

My current truck (see picture link in signature) is all original paint, except the left front fender was resprayed about 10 years ago after getting slight damage. It may be ugly, but that worn origianl paint isn't covering up any amateur patchwork, rot, or dents.

Definitely worth the extra effort seeking out an unmolested truck to me.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Stroker

I like the types of upgrades that you've listed as long as they are done right. But everyone has their own idea of what right is. For that reason I'de rather buy an original truck and make the changes myself so I knew exactly what I had.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:57 PM   #8
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
I've bought three short bed trucks with original paint. All of them needed a paint job in the worst way, but they were honest trucks.

By honest, I mean they aren't hiding any ugliness underneath the paint.

My current truck (see picture link in signature) is all original paint, except the left front fender was resprayed about 10 years ago after getting slight damage. It may be ugly, but that worn origianl paint isn't covering up any amateur patchwork, rot, or dents.

Definitely worth the extra effort seeking out an unmolested truck to me.
It's definitely worth the extra effort to find an unmolested truck! But once you find one it's up to you where it goes. My newest truck is a 72 C10 that I bought from a man who had owned it for 27 years. It had been garage kept for the last 20 yrs and nothing had been hauled in it for the last 15 yrs! I went the extra mile to find a truck like this to avoid the "What were they thinking". You know the WWTT when they hacked up these wires, WWTT when they slapped all this bondo, WWTT when they rigged this up? The truck was beautiful as purchased and even placed 3rd at the Chevy GMC nats in Pigeon Forge this past spring in the restored original class. However this truck is my project/driver/builder. I drive it to work and my wife drives it to work/college. I have added a spray-in bedliner, blacked out the windows, installed a CD player in the glovebox and pertronix ignition. All this went well due to the truck being unmolested. Future plans include either an ECE 4/6 or ART bags and Vintage Air. If everyone kept/restored their vehicles as new or original wouldn't this get a little boring? Do what makes YOU happy! Don't listen to me or anyone else. You buy it, build it, drive it, it's to make YOU smile. If anyone else enjoys it that's just icing on the cake!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 PM   #9
Sweet72

I'm with texas firefighter on this one. Un-modified trucks are always nice to find. What somebody else thought was a good mod or upgrade may actually detract from the value for a potential buyer.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:18 PM   #10
cib101abn
Screaming Eagle

I agree with above posters who want to find the truck in original condition. I am new at the truck stuff, but have restored houses for years. Nice old architecture should remain original, go back to original paint when possible. There is a term for makeovers that violate the integretiy of the home...it's called "remuddled" instead of "remodeled". I want to find a truch that is not "remuddled"...also believe it should remain original color but repaint is ok as restoration endeavor. Once found, then I would want to change the engine for my own performance basis, especially a 6 to an 8, or a 383 would be nice, plus upgrade safety options of needed; otherwise keep it original and store original items taken out (old 6, old radio, etc) and they go with the truck if ever re-sold so the next owner could decide on which route to go for their taste.

New to this arena, sure enjoy the heck out of it...so much valuable info to learn from so many people who are knowledgable on just about everything.
cib101abn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:12 PM   #11
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

it depends on the quality of work done to modify the truck. if you see a modified truck that is inches off of the ground and you notice that the springs are hacked in half and there are 5 inch lowering blocks in the back then i would say not to buy that modified truck

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:43 AM   #12
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Nice is nice no matter how you look at it. love a original truck,restored or not,but for me, well some aluminum wheels,chrome goodies,ect are a must.Just the way I am i guess.

I have a 49 right now I'm fighting myself on the S10 Frame swap,and a V8,my original thought was to restore it original.but it prolly won't happen.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:51 AM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

if im looking for a project to do my way...id prefer to start with an original truck. no having to guess whats what...its all in the books...or on this board
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:50 AM   #14
Inthuwind
Straight jacket required

TASTES GREAT~~~LESS FILLING TASTES GREAT~~~LESS FILLING!!!!!!!!!!
It just depends on YOUR likes and dislikes. I see both sides with many vehicles.
3/5 static/ 12bolt rear 3:73
1979 Pontiac Trans Am
10th Anniversary/455/4spd
2011 H-D Street Glide - CAMMED n lowered
Dad always said,"Son, if you can't be good...be good at it."
Inthuwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:50 AM   #15
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

You gotta do whatever makes you happy. If you're in it for the money, you'll be lucky to break even.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote