The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2004, 04:07 AM   #1
super72bb

POR 15 engine paint kit Question

I have my engine prepped for paint now. I have scotch brighted the block and heads because they were painted with regular engine enamel when it was rebuilt. I glass beaded the intake and it is bare. My question is... In the kit there is a couple of pre paint products "marine clean" and "metal ready". I have marine cleaned my parts and I am interested to know if anyone has used the metal ready over paint or is it just for bare metal?

Also I have a Eastwood product called "pre painting prep" It is like thinner in a can. Has anyone used this sort of thing under por 15?

Thank you

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:37 AM   #2
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by super72bb
I have my engine prepped for paint now. I have scotch brighted the block and heads because they were painted with regular engine enamel when it was rebuilt. I glass beaded the intake and it is bare. My question is... In the kit there is a couple of pre paint products "marine clean" and "metal ready". I have marine cleaned my parts and I am interested to know if anyone has used the metal ready over paint or is it just for bare metal?
Here's the instructions for Metal Ready and Marine Clean. Por15.com also has downloadable, one-page instructions for Metal Ready. I use POR15 products regularly. The Metal Ready is for before painting to etch the metal, never over finished paint, though you must use it over any engine enamel left on the block. Won't hurt a thing in that case because you want to etch any bare steel between/within what's left of the engine enamel.

The Marine Clean is an acidic degreaser that you need to spray, in diluted form, on the areas to be painted. After letting it soak 30 min, fill a bucket with a mix of Marine Clean & water and, with protective gloves, dip that scotchbrite pad in it and scrub away till all traces of grease/oil are removed. Rinse thoroughly and let dry. Then spray on the Metal Ready and let soak for 30 min while keeping the areas to be painted wet with the Metal Ready. Metal Ready is nothing more than zinc phosphate that will convert any surface rust to zinc powder and etch the metal which POR15's engine coating needs in order to stick best to the metal. After the half hour, gently rinse off the Metal ready and let dry. Be sure to use a gentle spray. It works best if you don't wash off the Metal Ready with a strong water spray. Let dry and coat with the POR15 engine coating.

Quote:
Also I have a Eastwood product called "pre painting prep" It is like thinner in a can. Has anyone used this sort of thing under por 15?...
I'm pretty sure you should never mix other product lines with POR15 paint. Could ruin its effectiveness. POR15 is a moisture-curing coating, not paint. It takes special thinners that POR15 offers. Paints give off solvents as they dry. My guess is the solvents in the Eastwood product would bleed thru the POR15 and ruin your hard work.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

The thinner used for por-15 engine paints/coatings is nothing more than mineral spirits. Found that out after I bought the por-15 thiner for like $15 bucks. Got home and read the label and contents read mineral spirits. I had that on the shelf allready.

Tried spraying it with the stuff thinned as much as directions allow.. Guess I need a bigger tip. Had better luck just brushing it on.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing
The thinner used for por-15 engine paints/coatings is nothing more than mineral spirits. Found that out after I bought the por-15 thiner for like $15 bucks. Got home and read the label and contents read mineral spirits. I had that on the shelf allready.

Tried spraying it with the stuff thinned as much as directions allow.. Guess I need a bigger tip. Had better luck just brushing it on.
I can top that. POR15 is a moisture-curing polyurethane coating available for less cost thru other paint lines such as Sherwin-Williams. Check your local paint supply or hardware stores. One can also puchase zinc phosphate in most locales. Don't know about a Marine Clean equivalent. POR15 dealers are convenient, though.

Good point on the brush on characteristics, especially for inherently pitted cast iron blocks. Can't easily go too thick or risk runs brushing it on cast iron, even on its vertical surfaces.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
The metal ready is for use on bare metal. It etches the metal to give it some tooth for the paint to stick to. Use it on any metal that has not been sand blasted. Bead blasting does not give the metal enough tooth.

On the previously painted surfaces, make sure the surface is rough. Also, you will not have the rust prevention properties without direct contact with metal. If the old paint is solid, I would paint over it with the engine enamel.

For the POR-15 FAQs http://www.brysondist.com/FAQs.html

As far as spraying the POR-15, I do not recommend it. The use of a NIOSH approved air-exchange system is recommended, meaning a filtered outside air supply. Standard paint masks allow the fumes to pass thru, which are similar to super-glue. Not what you want inside your lungs.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Brushing it on worked real well for me. I am completely happy with the POR15 engine paint kit.

I kind of hate to post my picture on here because I'm sure all of the ladies will swoon and I'll probably get a stalker. The problems that great looking guys like me and Brad Pitt face......
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
4x4Poet

Tx Firefighter, who's going to notice you with that shiny hunk o' big block "stand"ing next to you?

How did you prevent, or otherwise handle, the inevitable stray paint brush bristle "hairs" that stick to the paint, especially on the more visible valve covers?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
How did you prevent, or otherwise handle, the inevitable stray paint brush bristle "hairs" that stick to the paint, especially on the more visible valve covers?
My wife has good fingernails. She'd pick them out and I''d smooth it over with another brush stroke.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #9
4x4Poet

That's funny! And yet effective. I guess I'll have to dedicate a pair of tweezers to the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
My wife has good fingernails. She'd pick them out and I''d smooth it over with another brush stroke.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

One thing that I learned the hard way was that with the POR-15 manifold paint the paint doesn't cure until it is heated. It did not say that on the can, so mine sat for two months until I got the engine running. By then rust had started under the paint.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:18 AM   #11
imdarren

I have the same question.
And even after reading all this, and the POR 15 FAQ section,
I'm unclear on what to do about the paint that is on a new GM Crate motor?
Do you have to remove the cheap black spray paint they use on crate motors? Or just use the POR 15 paint over the top?

Tx Firefighter, Did you paint on bare metal, or over spray paint?

Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:44 AM   #12
EdB

I have used POR and it is a good product. You need plenty of
fresh air. The fumes are not good. If you wear glasses, like I do,
and get some specks on them, they will not come off. Murphys law
states that any specks will be directly in your line of sight.

EdB
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:47 AM   #13
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I painted over the paint on my crate motor. Cleaned it with the marine clean and then went for it. Jury is still out if I did right. Only been a couple of months.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 AM   #14
Tx Firefighter

I stripped the intake, valve covers, oil pan, and timing cover. I painted over the factory paint on the block and heads. It turned out great.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:58 AM   #15
greasemonkey

Is that Chevy orange? Looks more red to me, or is it the pic?
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #16
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Pretty sure that is Por-15's Chevy orange. It really is that bright on mine. It looks great. I'm hoping it cleans great too.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:14 PM   #17
68gmcdually

My parents just bought a whold lot of "Bill Hirsch" and Por-15 engine enamels as a side line for their business. I kinda like it cuz now I have an infinite amount of paint available to me. The "Bill Hirsch" line has alot of different colours and looks like a great product, not say that the there is anything wrong with the POR-15 line.

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote