The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2015, 02:21 AM   #1
Coronadj

69 C10 Prerunner project

So Im new to this whole forums thing... So my bad if I make some mistakes. But I want to start my first project truck its a 1969 C10 that i got for $800. Im only 16 and still in high school but what I have in mind is to lift my truck its a 2wd so its kind of hard to do it. But I been searching on how to do it and I kind of know what I need. My truck was a old forest truck like a park ranger truck it had tool boxes in the bed and 411 gears in the rear with a posi. It also has a 250 with a sm465 and heavy duty coils all the way around. But I've been searching for parts and I came up on craigs some 88-98 c1500/c2500 4" inch lift spindles and upper control arm from fabtech. So my question is can I use the spindle and the upper control arm on my truck and for the lower control arm I just get a c20 lower control arm?

its a slow moving project so... I won't be posting progress right away. But I'm not trying to do anything crazy I just want to lift it so I have some ground clearance and to have a lil fun in the sand and dirt. I race drag banshees at glamis, dumont dunes, and pismo so I need some clearance and to put some 33-35" tires.
Coronadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
JointTech

Re: 69 C10 Prerunner project

about the best lift for a 2wd is heavy duty 1-ton springs. Otherwise you are getting into suspension swap to something newer. I havent seen a 2wd lift kit for our year trucks. The 1ton springs arent going to get you anywhere near prerunner stance though. well maybe if you removed the rear springs completely.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Pick

I knew I had seen something like this before on the board so I sid alittle searching to see if I could dig it up... Lift Spindles on 73-87

I believe the swap will work the same way for a '69 since you're swapping upper and lower control arms as a part of the swap......not sure though.

I hope that might help point you in the right direction anyway.

A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play. He simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing, and leaves others to determine whether he is working or playing. To himself, he always appears to be doing both. L. P. Jack
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Coronadj

Thanks guys for the advise on the lift! Yeah I was thinking of using that fabtech upper control arm and the spindle and I will use a c20 lower control arms and look for a lift coil from rough country. But I'm not sure it will work.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
cleanfreak

If you search 6 bolt disk brake conversions , the c20 lower will work , the 88 up upper isn't even close for your truck , but the original upper may work with an 88 up ball joint. the camber might be an issue , seems like your on the right track though. Good luck with your project , everybody will want to see some pictures once your into it - Bob
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 AM   #6
Coronadj

this is when I first got the truck

Attach]1352415[/attach]

Name:  IMG_6375.jpg
Views: 5033
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6369.jpg
Views: 4911
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6342.jpg
Views: 4904
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6378.jpg
Views: 4867
Size:  44.8 KB
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
C.20

I know this has nothing to do with the build but what size rim and tires was on it when you bought need some new tires and yours pop out
Old 01-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Coronadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.20 View Post
I know this has nothing to do with the build but what size rim and tires was on it when you bought need some new tires and yours pop out
Mmmm tell you the truck I don't know what size tire they are but next time I go to my dads yard where my truck park at I look at the tires and rim. Then I tell what size they are. But yeah I know I need new tires but I don't drive it right so not in a hurry yet to put new tires on, first want to lift it.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #9
BlackedOut67shorty

Will be watchin this, can't wait to see the results
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 AM   #10
Coronadj

I'm trying to figure out how to lift my truck and then one of my friends told me about I beam my truck like the giant motorsports c10 kit but I don't know what are your guys thoughts about I beaming the truck? Or should I keep the A Arms?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
68shortwide

Keep a-arms. Ibeams ride like sh*t. Actually. Are you using it as a tow pig or a daily driver or both? How far are you travelin to go to the dunes? All that factors in to choosing between the two.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
Coronadj

It's gonna be my daily driver/tow rig. It all depends on where Im going like dumont dunes is about 4-5 hours away, pismo is like 3 hours, and glamis is about 4 1/2 hours away. But the desert is like 1 hour away. Thanks for all the helps guys! Really appericate it!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #13
manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
Keep a-arms. Ibeams ride like sh*t. Actually. Are you using it as a tow pig or a daily driver or both? How far are you travelin to go to the dunes? All that factors in to choosing between the two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2wuTswQEM
this video sure looks like i beams ride like sh*t!!.... you decide. any "budget" a arm kit that you buy is going to suck..PERIOD. I live in the desert, been around off road race trucks most my life.... Unless you have an endlss money tree, twin Ibeam...FORD will be your best set-up.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #14
Coronadj

Man that fabtech lift kit I wanted it's gone! Now I don't really know what to do! I thinks just using a lifted spindle from 88-98 c1500 and c20 lower arm but what do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #15
tcrist

Check with any of these guys,

http://www.mcgaughys.com/prerunner.html

http://www.prerunnermaniac.com/preru...sion-kits.html

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...%20lift%20kits

http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/

Even if they don't have or make a kit, maybe they know of who does.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:50 AM   #16
Coronadj

I took off the bed to clean up the frame.I just painted the back of the frame to see how it would look but I sanded it off to and put primer.

Name:  IMG_7186.jpg
Views: 4789
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  IMG_7187.jpg
Views: 4812
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7253.jpg
Views: 4692
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7255.jpg
Views: 4793
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7267.jpg
Views: 4724
Size:  114.1 KB
Old 01-22-2015, 01:51 AM   #17
Coronadj

Name:  IMG_7266.jpg
Views: 4909
Size:  43.1 KB
Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
DreamRyder1963

I love these truck when they are built like pre-runners. Here is one that was posted on the board a while back.
Attached Images

http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
Lees68GMC

Here's the opinion of an Arizona Old Fart. We built the primer pre-runner in the photo for my son, the 67 GMC is mine. Clean up your truck, rattle can detail and someone will trade you for a later model truck to pre-run out, maybe even done. Clean old GM classics are getting harder and harder to find, no disrespect but you can pre-runner a Toyota or something else on the cheap. My two cents.
Attached Images

"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #20
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees68GMC View Post
Here's the opinion of an Arizona Old Fart. We built the primer pre-runner in the photo for my son, the 67 GMC is mine. Clean up your truck, rattle can detail and someone will trade you for a later model truck to pre-run out, maybe even done. Clean old GM classics are getting harder and harder to find, no disrespect but you can pre-runner a Toyota or something else on the cheap. My two cents.

I never understood this mindset, (no disrespect intended) but really, its only a truck. If he likes the body style, cut it up do whatever you want with it. When the truck fad fades in a few years, no one will blink an eye at these trucks. Car hobby has and always will follow the trends.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #21
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees68GMC View Post
X2, why cut up a classic when you can cut up a boxy 73-87 on the cheap.

I'd MUCH rather see someone take that truck and maybe shorten it. Or just restore, or rattle can detail, or whatever just don't cut it up for a pre-runner.

But, in the end, it's his truck, his tastes, (not mine), and his call.

Yes, I'm an Arizona Old Fart myself. LOL
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #22
Coronadj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
X2, why cut up a classic when you can cut up a boxy 73-87 on the cheap.

I'd MUCH rather see someone take that truck and maybe shorten it. Or just restore, or rattle can detail, or whatever just don't cut it up for a pre-runner.

But, in the end, it's his truck, his tastes, (not mine), and his call.

Yes, I'm an Arizona Old Fart myself. LOL

Yeah I know what you guys mean and no disrespect but yeah I'm not trying to blow is up to a full on prerunner I just want a simple lift. But I'm tired of seeing this trucks just lowered and not to be mean but when you guys lower you truck and C notch it and cut the bed up to make it fit, isn't that considering " cutting it up" I don't want to start an argument I just be yell at by some many people about how bad of an idea it is. But hey a least I can say it's something different.

But right now my truck is on hold because my race bike motor took a 💩 and now I have to fix that lol.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #23
Coronadj

But thank you guys for helping me I really appreciate it!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #24
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronadj View Post
Yeah I know what you guys mean and no disrespect but yeah I'm not trying to blow is up to a full on prerunner I just want a simple lift. But I'm tired of seeing this trucks just lowered and not to be mean but when you guys lower you truck and C notch it and cut the bed up to make it fit, isn't that considering " cutting it up" I don't want to start an argument I just be yell at by some many people about how bad of an idea it is. But hey a least I can say it's something different.

But right now my truck is on hold because my race bike motor took a �� and now I have to fix that lol.
You know young man in the end we will all be dead an buried and the trucks will be tuned to dust and nobody will care anymore. The Only thing important in life is to be happy, there is absolutely Nothing that can compare to happy. And WhatEver form your truck takes, I hope it makes you happy and I mean that sincerely no sarcasm whatsoever (despite the fact I'm a sarcastic person LOL).

Stick to your guns and do what YOU want and be happy. I hope you didn't think I was yelling at you I just said what I said but in the end it's your truck not mine. Yes, cutting is cutting raising or lowering. I hope you read what I said about steering geometry, as if you did you will realize I will help you no matter what you want to do I just want you to be safe and happy.

Hope your racing bike does not eat too far in your wallet. Be safe.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #25
catch2otwo

I think what your looking to build is more of a lifted/offroad truck instead of a "prerunner." With an offroad oriented build you will be building for towing/hauling/trail capability where prerunner you will be headed towards suspension travel. Suspension travel is way more involved than just a lift kit. A lot of people don't think about anything outside the suspension, but for a true pre runner/ dune crusher you will be sinking alot of time building the chassis. Shock mounts, bed cage etc.

In my opinion, I would throw a lift on the truck to clear whatever tire size you are looking to clear, invest in some quality shocks that are built to your spec to optimize your wheel travel, convert to leaf spring rear and get some deavers. You would have a solid 2wd, with some decent travel for when you want to go have some fun but wont have a crappy soft truck when you want to haul your quads around. Looking forward to your build.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote