The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
garyt

hood trouble

anyone ordered a hood from car parts discount ? well i ordered a 1951 truck hood an d it is an inch and a half too wide at the cab where it meets the cowl, i am a little aggravated that i spent 600 dollars on a hood that obviously isnt gonna work. it is a 2piece steel hood and is supposed to be an exact replica of the original. i checked to see if i might have ordered the wrong one but they tell me it is the correct hood, they also tell me that they have sold 25 hoods with no problems reported from their customers. was hopin maybe someone on this forum may be one of those customers and could shed some light on my predicament. or is this ordinary for my replacement to be too wide, i mean 600 dollars and i got to figure a way to reduce the width ? any help would be appreciated.... thanks gary
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: hood trouble

Most hoods are stamped off shore and fitment is always an issue no matter what the sales guy is telling you send it back and buy a stock one. This build had the same problem read it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522838
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Tims37chevy

http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=17194
Tims37chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
garyt

thanks again after talking to car parts discount they agreed to credit me my money back, and i am looking for a good hood in the houston area if anyone got a lead on onelet me know.... anyone else got a suggestion on where to get a good hood please let me know, also looking for drivers side door latch thanks guys i dont know where id be without the support of this forum gary
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Rude Dude

Try contacting these guys they always seem to have a few trucks in their yard and are willing to sell parts off them.

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
mr48chev

It shouldn't be a problem to find a decent hood in Texas, you might have to drive a few miles to get one and a good one shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks.

I gave 10.00 for one off a 54 a couple of weeks ago. It sits on my 48 pretty well.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
garyt

thanks, anybody around the houston area got a hood i have checked craigs list and havent found any there.... would be willing to drive a good bit just to get one. a couple of hundred miles doesnt scare me off either, just about ready for paint and am in a really bad way.....HELP !!! thanks gary