The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Jkeith

Intake and carb choice. Holley or Edelbrock. Stall convertor

Cam went out in my 305 Friday so I'm putting a 355 in it this weekend. Motor is 350 bored 30 over. 288 crane cam. I have a summit and a holley aluminum intake. Also a edelbrock and holley carb, both are 650 carbs.

What combo should I go with. Any info would help, not a motor man here. Motor is hooking up to a turbo 350.

Should I use a stall convertor on transmission. If so how can I tell if the convertor is good before installing it
Posted via Mobile Device
Jkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Intake and carb choice. Holley or Edelbrock. Stall convertor

What Holley 650? There are probvably a half dozen or more Holley 650's.

What Holley intake?

Need more specs on the cam than just "288".

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
MARKDTN

I prefer Holley carbs. Never have been able to get an Edelbrock to work right. On a 305 a Quadrajet might be a good choice.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Exclamation Re: Intake and carb choice. Holley or Edelbrock. Stall convertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I prefer Holley carbs. Never have been able to get an Edelbrock to work right. On a 305 a Quadrajet might be a good choice.
OP said he is installing a 350 not a 305.

And yes we need more info on what type of intake and carb you have to help you decide.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The stall on the convertor is going to center on how much idle you have to maintain to keep the cam working efficiently. With a fairly lopey idle, you will either have to tune the carb to provide for an idle that will keep the engine tunning or do a stall high enough to keep the engine from bogging down when it is in gear. The tuning of the carb is the first choice most choose to go for, but the changing of the idle screws will only move your butterflies up into the transition area from an idle to a "Part throttle" condition. This uses a lot of fuel and provides for a nasty idle and pushing of the vehicle at a stop. The changing of the convertor will allow for a more adjustable carb situation and less affect on the tranny, BUT it will raise your tranny lube temps with more slippage until you hit the stall RPMs.

I am running a 2400 stall on my truck and it allowed me to compensate for my cam and the driveability is much better, than it was prior to the change. I do not have my cam specs avaialble at this time, so I can not give you what I am running right now.

Also, just so you know a stall number for your truck will be different than the same engine/tranny combo would be in a car that is much lighter than the truck.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Jkeith

Don't really know what carb and intake I have. The edelbrok stuff is on the 305 that went out and the Holley stuff is on the 355. Don't know the cam specs either. All I was told was it was a 288 crane and hit a good lope. And the carb was a dual line 650 Holley.

Any numbers I can get off the carb and intake to give you all more info. If so where do I look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
1972RedNeck

I like both carburetors. If the Holley was previously abused (i.e. over tightening metering plate), it will be more prone to leaking.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Jkeith

So far I found the Holley is a 80508-3 which is a 750 dual-feed 4160 and the intake is a Holley street dominator. That's the setup on the motor right now. Will look tomorrow on the edelbrock stuff. The motor is a 355
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Here is where you look for the Holley list number. They made a 650 double pumper and a 650 vacuum and DP spread bore. That's actually it. Most Holleys that people are calling 650s are actually 600s and there are about 20 or more different ones. When I say different, they are all extremely slight variations of the 1850.

What kind of heads are on this thing. Have to be careful going too big on the cam if the heads are too small.
Attached Images

prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Only based on the info you have given thus far, that carb is way too big.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
chris mc bride

Carb size not issue.The 288 if at .050 is real big cam if advertised that mean pretty much nothing.Need dyration at .050 and centerline for cam.If your running even a advertised 288 cam its pretty big.IMO unless you plan on running low gears 4.11 or higher number wise I would change cams.I lovd the lope of big cam but normaly not best for power unless geared low and planing to turn motor pretty good.
A 270 duration cam with good dual plane which I think the holey intake you said you had is.With either holley or edelbrock carb will make good power without you spining crap out of it.
The converter depends totaly on power combo of engine.IMO you should give comp or crane a call tell them what you have and what its use is.Let them recommend cam for it.That said they normaly are on consrvative side so one step up will not kill combo.Lets say they tell you run 260 durationcam and next in there catalog is 268 you will be fine with 268. Ask how much stall and what gear,should know whats in it now before calling.
Engines are fairly simple as is whole powertrain. REMEMBER ITS NOT ANYONE PART ITS THE WHOLE COMBO THAT COUNTS.
Last samll block combo I ran was all edelbrovk stuff.cam was performer plus,as was intake,carb was edelbrock(love or hate here seems no inbetween) heads where dart iron eagles I ported and headers with 2600 stall with 700r4 trans and 3.73 gears.I had a blast pissing off mustang 5.0 guys.Since this was 84 z/28 that cam with CRAPPY 305/180 HP it surprised lots.Can't go wrong with pre matched packages and cost not bad considering. On carb size imeant between the 650 or 750 just requires good tuning. A 600 or 650 will run great thru out power range of above combo.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mc bride View Post
Carb size not issue........

On carb size imeant between the 650 or 750 just requires good tuning. A 600 or 650 will run great thru out power range of above combo.
You can't tune a carb that is TOO BIG and make it work correctly. Sure you can get by but you will give up mileage and most importantly performance. I would stay in the 600-650 range. Your Edelbrock is more than likely a 600 since the AVS is the only 650 offered.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
chris mc bride

Never had problem running anything below 850 on sbc street motor. Carb may be touching on bottom end but still ahuling ass on topend and little timming change or rejetting lowend jets. even sam article while back that demonstrated same thing maybe 5 hp deifferance between smallest carb and biggest till they went dominator on it. And edelbrock is 700 cfm I order it with rest of parts. As to milage I averaged 21 mpg in camaro as long as kept foot out of it which I think was for one whole tank just to get average. Never been real easy on the throttle,heck my dragster was blown alky ran 5.70s around 250 in 1/4 so what you expect.
Carb size will also depend on rest of package. you can't run same size on 350 ci turning 5500 as 350 turning 7500 with big duration cam,well let me rephrase that you can but not expecting maximum performance. Heads have big effect on that too. a higher flowing head can make use of higher cfm flow.Again its just simple fact of combo and how will matched is what counts.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

As many have stated already, without knowing exactly what you have in the motor ie. compression, heads, cam specs, we would simply be pi$$ing in the wind.

All the parts you have mentioned have identifying part numbers on them. The Eddy carb will have the model number stamped on the vertical face just in front of the passenger side bolt hole. It will read something along the lines of 1405 or 1806 etc. If it is a 1400 series carb then its a performer series, if it is an 1800 series then it is an AVS Thunder series carb. Both are good carbs if tuned correctly with the AVS being a bit more desirable.

The intakes should have part numbers on the bottom surface in the valley, A quick search through Summit .com would probably help identify the intake by sight. The heads will have either a part# if aftermarket or casting numbers under the valve cover if factory. The cam, well the only way to really get any info on the cam is to pop your timing cover off and get the number on the face just under the Upper TC sprocket... this would be a good time to take a look at the engines internals as well.

Static compression can be guessed by head casting numbers and a compression check... it wont be accurate, but within a ballpark window. Or you could pop the heads off, pull the cam and do some measuring.

Bill
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
Jkeith

Ok the edelbrock is a 1406 600 cfm. Can't find nothing in the intake besides summit and the firing order. The other intake is a Holley street performance and the carb is a holley 750 dp. From what I've been told the motor is built. Just wanting to put the better of the carb and intake on the motor and not have a carb to big or to small
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
a_barth

Ok assuming that your cam is a Crane 288/296 .458/.473 114LSA Powermax and you said that you have the holley street dominator which is a decent dual-plane manifold I would go with the edelbrock for two reasons.
1) I have had good experiences with edelbrocks and like how easy they are to tune (holleys aren't bad just prefer the edelbrock)
2) That motor with that cam and intake will never see past 6500rpm and has no need for a 750 double-pumper 600 cfm vacumm-secondary will work really well (I have this carb on my 400 with edebrock performer cam and EPS intake and it runs like a dream)

I would sell the holley and the summit intake and maybe put that money towards a set of aluminum or ported heads to round out your package.
a_barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Explain "built".

The 750 double pumper is too big for a small block chevy on the street. Sure it's a double pumper? Just cuz it's a dual feed line Holley doesn't make it a double pumper. Does it have a vacuum secondary on the back pasenger side of the carb? Or does it actually have an accellerator pump in the front and rear.

What is the number stamped on the front of the choke horn on the Holley carb. Both of those intakes not the best intakes.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Jkeith

Here is all the numbers I could find on the carb

10569 * * **
80508-3* 1973
3f25
R37
P36
6r 8026
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
Jkeith

Sorry for not knowing what all I have in the motor. Got the 355 off a friend of a friend lol with all the Holley stuff on it and had all the edelbrock stuff on the 305 and was just wondering the better of the 2 before I set it in the truck. Don't wanna tare into the motor because it's guaranteed or money back. Just wanting to get the truck back on the road and rebuild motor later when money is better. Wish I could tell you all more about it, but thanks for all the info and anymore to come is still wanted
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #20
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

It's a 750 but not a double pumper. As I stated above.....will work but not the best for your application. Your fear should be not going too small but going too big. The only time a carb can be too small is at the very end of the RPM range. Granted that is a general statement that can be argued in certain circumstances but the bottom line is if on a street vehicle, it is usually ALWAYS better to go just a tad too small than just a tad too big when it comes to the size of carb.

I also agree with Gary on what does "built" mean? Is this like 3/4 race cam stuff? lol Head info would be great. You should really pull some valve covers and get the casting numbers off the heads.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
Jkeith

Quote:
It's a 750 but not a double pumper. As I stated above.....will work but not the best for your application. Your fear should be not going too small but going too big. The only time a carb can be too small is at the very end of the RPM range. Granted that is a general statement that can be argued in certain circumstances but the bottom line is if on a street vehicle, it is usually ALWAYS better to go just a tad too small than just a tad too big when it comes to the size of carb.

I also agree with Gary on what does "built" mean? Is this like 3/4 race cam stuff? lol Head info would be great. You should really pull some valve covers and get the casting numbers off the heads.
Will look at heads when I get home. So would the 600 edelbrock be better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

A 600 Holley would be better (1850 series).

But I'm a little biased.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Gary and I are paid Holley spokesman and will always side on the side of Holley. That would explain my avatar.

The eddy will be just fine if you have a good one or get that one correctly gone through.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
Jkeith

And I'm close to bowlingreen ky main plant. But I have the edelbrock and know its good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #25
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Then by all means use that one. 600cfm is gonna be just fine on your engine.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: