The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
olred68

Header help

I am looking to buy some headers and I want a set that not going to break the bank. The question is how low can I drop the truck and still use long tubes? I would rather buy shorty headers but I can seem to find the ones for a 1967 truck and I would rather not use block huggers that just come straight down. If you have pic or part number that would help thanks for all your help guy Brandon
Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
69GMCLonghorn

Re: Header help

You've already spelled out your options:

1) You know if you're slamming it down, you can't use long tube headers.
2) Since you ARE slamming it, you need to either use the manifolds or shell out the cash for shorty headers.
3) You could always compromise: Do a 2/4" drop instead of a 10 ft drop and use the good headers...
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
You've already spelled out your options:

1) You know if you're slamming it down, you can't use long tube headers.
2) Since you ARE slamming it, you need to either use the manifolds or shell out the cash for shorty headers.
3) You could always compromise: Do a 2/4" drop instead of a 10 ft drop and use the good headers...
Not necessarily true. The block makes the difference. I have Sanderson LONG TUBE headers on my '67 stepside and they tuck up between the frame rails so you could lay the frame on the street and they would not touch but...I also run a tall deck big block...
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
69 longhorn

I have Hooker comps on my sb Longhorn, with a 3/5 drop, & no issues. The collector flanges hang 2" below the rails, & I dont think a 4" drop would cause me any trouble. Chances are you would have more trouble with the rest of the system(just be sure to tuck the pipes up over the trans crossmember, & through the trail arm crossmember). I have 2 custom made crossmembers under my truck, that the pipes go under(but are tucked up tight). From a side shot on the rack, you can see about 1/2 of the 50's Flows below the rails.....& nothing drags crazyAL