The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
astrochimp

Keeping drum brakes another year, rebuild tips?

I had planned swapping to disk, but due to $$ I need to keep the drums another year. So they need work. Truck is a '63 Chevy. Now the truck will pull to left or right first stop of the day, and peddle goes almost to floor and takes force to stop.

List so far is wheel cylinders, shoe's, adjuster hardware, rear hose, rear P brake cables. Might as well replace front wheel bearings. I am not sure on drums yet-

MC was replaced last year, most lines replaced 2 years ago.

I want it safe, but still plan on the disk in a year or so. Any thing to look out for, or special parts I need before I start? What parts will not be available at the local parts store?
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Heartbeat66

Re: Keeping drum brakes another year, rebuild tips?

I just did that on my 66. It was pretty much a straight forward drum brake job. Had to drill adjustment holes in the new front drums. The part numbers on the drums and shoes were the same as the rear. Everything else was different #'s. I would change all the brake wheel cylinders for sure. My manual stated "if you change one wheel cylinder you must change the other side also". Super easy when you have all new parts on hand. I was finished in about 4 hours. I cleaned everything and threw some caliper paint on the inside.
Heartbeat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Big Fenders

You might get your drums checked to make sure that they havn't been cut down too far...
Bob
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
SFTorange

This page is an awesome resource for a drum brake overhaul.

http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If the front hoses are original I’d replace them too. Not sure what year truck you have but if it didn’t come with self-adjusters I’d add them. All you need are the self-adjuster kits and shoes for the later application which had them originally. I believe there is an extra hole in the later shoes needed for the installation. I added them to the rear of my original 1960 GMC rear axle (I have discs up front) and it sure is nice not having to climb under to adjust them anymore.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
astrochimp

I have a new front hose on one side, and one in the garage for the other- PO was "fixing" the brakes before he would let me pick it up.

Mine is a '63- no idea if it has self adjusting- I need to check that out and find what is needed for a swap- thanks!

Great link- thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

best thing I can say is add a stock power booster...I was in the same boat as you and for $60 I bought a used stock booster and bolted it in took me about an hour and it by far the best $$ I spent on the truck...I have no problem waiting till I get some time and $$ to make the swap

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Have you priced rebuilding vs converting to disc. Seems like its not that much more and certainly better in the end.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree. I would do some price comparison. Switching to drums is not that expensive. Between wrecking yard parts and your local auto parts supplier, it may not be that much more than rebuilding the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Have you priced rebuilding vs converting to disc. Seems like its not that much more and certainly better in the end.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
awbrown

I just had the same problem with mine , I just got it in Feb. and the pedal went almost to the floor .. It already has a dual master cylinder and a booster .. so i tore into it and the PO had swapped a right side adjuster and a left side adjuster so 2 wheels were contracting (adjusting the opposite way) instead of expanding the shoes , after adjusting them (and swapping the adjusters) they work fine .. The shoes were 60% so I figured til I find all the stuff for disc's I will just drive it ...

Last edited by awbrown; 04-18-2011 at 12:31 PM.
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
astrochimp

I haven't added up the repair cost yet, but the disk swap look like $800. I plan to keep my 6 lugs. $698 for kit, plus MC.

http://www.performanceonline.com/196...d-6-LUG-16671/

I think I saw a cheap kit, but still was in that range with everything.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes, if you feel you need all new, and/or an aftermarket disc brake conversion, it is going to be expensive. I'm just saying that it can be done for a good bit less than those aftermarket conversion kits. Many, many truck owners have done it, it works, isn't hard to figure out and is just as safe as an aftermarket kit.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367260

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I haven't added up the repair cost yet, but the disk swap look like $800. I plan to keep my 6 lugs. $698 for kit, plus MC.

http://www.performanceonline.com/196...d-6-LUG-16671/

I think I saw a cheap kit, but still was in that range with everything.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
astrochimp

"It just kills me when I read about how much some of you guys in other parts of the country are having to pay for parts."

When I ran the numbers last year, the swap with factory parts was not much cheaper than a kit, plus I had a hard time locating stuff local, so had shipping on top of that. IF the yards close to me had any of the stuff needed, it might be an option.

Maybe that is a market for you to round up the parts and sell kits?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
slepysal

If you are going to swap to disc latter on , why get a jump on it and split the brake lines now? Add a 67 impala non power drum master,sme new hard lines , a brass "t" fitting and a plug. ( look up ChiefRocas " how to split brake lines for a good how to )
I'm waiting to swap mine out to .I split the lines and it now stops,not on a dime but a whole lot bettter then before.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
slepysal

astro, Have you tried Craigslist? You might be able to score a whole truck for cheep
snag what you need and junk the rest.

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote