The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
smoked68

Ok lets see just how far I can throw a 750 Holley.

Alright I just remembered why I was running an Edlebrock carb now. For the last 2 weeks every time the weather has changed I'm messing with this carb to keep it idling. Its the humidity I guess and colder temps. It was set up in the summer and now its all outta whack. Any suggestions, its a 750 with vac secondaries. I'm thinking of going with the 850 Edlebrock. ??? I'm running a lopey cam and a Weiand 144 SC. Off idle its great, just won't idle, today! Tomorrow may be a different story. I actually set it 900 rpm a week ago, today it was hitting about 600 then wanting to die. Let me know how to fix this somebody soon, I'm loosing my ever lovin mind...
4 bolt 383 Stroker,Weiand Super Charger, disc brakes, 9 inch, 391 gear, 20" Eagle wheels, muncie 4 speed/ Hurst shifter, 4/7 drop, Hedman midlengths, 3 inch exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows. 1966 Mustang with 306 roller, c-4, 9 inch Detroit locker rear. 1965 Fastback Mustang w/347 stroker, top loader 4spd, 9 inch detroit locker. 1966 Mustang coup, 306 roller, c4, 9 inch. 65 Cobra, 427, T6oo, 9inch, of course. First gen Hayabusa, airbox mod and running 2 exhaust cams.. Zoom Zoom Zoom
smoked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
1966gmc
Why does it taste purple?

Re: Ok lets see just how far I can throw a 750 Holley.

No suggestions here man sorry. I only run Edelbrock carbs
1966gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
lowriden58

sounds like the air bleeds arent adjusted correctly. my truck would do something similar before it was tuned by a pro she would do fine when driving but idling she would want to die out, even with the idle bumped up.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
71 super

Hand held vacuum guage is your friend. Hook it to a vac. source and adjust mixture screws to highest vac. reading adjust idle screw and check vac. readings again setting to highest vac reading. Have you changed pwer valve out? Depending on vac. reading you may have to change to match the reading of your engine. Holleys can be work at times but they are the set up for a warmed over motor. You may also have to adjust the jetting and the rate at which the vac. springs come in for the secondaries. There are several good books on holleys and tuning them for max. performance. One last thing, is this a newer model 750 (3310-5/6) with power valve blowout protection? If not this is something you might want to invest in if you are driving the truck daily especially in cold weather, one pop back through the carb and power valve is gone and will cause the same symptoms you are having. Hope this helps, if more info let me know.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
Gray Ghost

Sounds like your Holley has a problem....that said, Edelbrocks are usually painless and don't have to be constantly adjusted. Bad news is they aren't as good when you stomp the floor with the pedal.

I didn't know Edelbrock made an 850 but I do know their 1407 [750] is a good one and it's jetted for performance like my 1405 [600] is.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 12-16-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
yotaforce

Throw it up to Rutherford County NC, I'll catch it. I am a Holley guy. Ran "Brocks", but love the performance of Holley. I only had to adjust mine twice a year, hot to cold, cold to hot, day to day it was always a good carb. Haynes Holley manual is very useful to have around.
yotaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
smoked68

I think its an older 3310, the guy who rebuilt it for me was supposed to use an updated kit that had the power valve protection you were talking about. I think? If not that could be, because it has popped a couple of times early in the crank up. I will also check the air bleeds. The floats have hung once a month or so ago so I ran some Sea Foam thru a tank. Much to think about, like that 850 Eddie is sounding better by the minute. I'm off next week, sounds like another project, rocker panels, mtr mounts now carb...Merry Christmas to all and thanks. Mike.
4 bolt 383 Stroker,Weiand Super Charger, disc brakes, 9 inch, 391 gear, 20" Eagle wheels, muncie 4 speed/ Hurst shifter, 4/7 drop, Hedman midlengths, 3 inch exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows. 1966 Mustang with 306 roller, c-4, 9 inch Detroit locker rear. 1965 Fastback Mustang w/347 stroker, top loader 4spd, 9 inch detroit locker. 1966 Mustang coup, 306 roller, c4, 9 inch. 65 Cobra, 427, T6oo, 9inch, of course. First gen Hayabusa, airbox mod and running 2 exhaust cams.. Zoom Zoom Zoom
Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
smoked68

Summit has the 850 Brocks, I have not priced but they show one on the Edlebrock SC crate engine they are selling... I likee the Holley I'm just relearning its little tantrums...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
Ryan Hubbard

I used a modified 3310 on my blower motor and now I switched to a blower carb that has the power valve referenced to the manifold pressure. I found my 3310 would load up at certain times. I think you have a blown power valve, also you need to get a higher vacuum power valve also. Here is B&M supercharger manual on carb setup:
Attached Images

Ryan Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 AM   #10
70clone

get a demon by barry grant
70clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 AM   #11
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Yeah, I hate Holley's. I owned one once....once!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Holley shotput is one of my favorite sports.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #13
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Thats why I don't run holley's on mine. Too big a pain in the rear.
Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 AM   #14
caminokid
Chevy nut

easiest way to fix it is put a edelbrock back on. Cause of the same problem you are having right now...I almost lost my left hand. I was tuning a 650 and when i revved the 327 up...the fan broke and one of the blades went thru my wrist. Pretty f'd up. The Holley went bye bye after I got well.

here is the scar.

How far can I throw a Holley...all the way from my garage to the street.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
Gray Ghost

Pretty good case for tossing that flex fan as well I'd say. We always hear about those blades coming off.

Sure am glad you still have your hand, that looks like it hurt quite a bit.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Pretty good case for tossing that flex fan as well I'd say. We always hear about those blades coming off.

Sure am glad you still have your hand, that looks like it hurt quite a bit.
That was in 91. Had a really bad year that year...long story and not enough bandwith on here to cover it! I stopped using original clutch fans after that too.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
Chevymann1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
That was in 91. Had a really bad year that year...long story and not enough bandwith on here to cover it! I stopped using original clutch fans after that too.
I had a similar event happen to me butit wasnt a stock fan it was a flex a lite!!!! I was lucky though it hit the edge of the hood and was stuck in it!!! NEAR MY FACE!!!! GET AN EDELBROCK!!!

2001 Camaro SS SOLD

Last edited by Chevymann1968; 12-17-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Chevymann1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
68Stepbed

What's the brand of carb got to do with fan blades coming off?

Anyway, I've run Edelburps and Holleys. Every Edelbrock carb I've had was nothing but trouble. I was told I could just setit and forget it. Well, for about 3 months(which is the warranty time) it was great, then they always tended to puke out on me, flood my engine alot, wouldn't idle right, ran rich and fouled plugs all the time. The final straw for me was when I was pulling into traffic and had to get on it to get up to speed when it choked the engine down and stalled on me in the middle of oncoming traffic. I bought a Holley that weekend. It's been a great carb with very little trouble. The carb I bought was a 570 Street Avenger. I'm still running the same carb on my engine now with a mild cam and it runs great.

I personally think your main problem is too much carb. 750cfm is way too much for any mild sb. 600cfm would be the max. The 850 Eddy you're looking at will cause you more problems later down the road. If your gonna get an Eddy carb, don't go any bigger than a 600

I'm not really gonna say that one brand is better than the other, but from my experiences, the Holley has worked better for me. The Holleys tend to get finicky while tuning, but once tuned right, their awsome carbs and you can get max. performance out of the Holley. The Eddys are good carbs for the guys who don't want to spend the time to tune a carb. That's why they seem to be more simple, but you will only be able to get decent performance compared to Holley.

IMO it's a trade-off. Either get decent perf. with little tinkering with the Eddys or tinker with a Holley some and get max. performance.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
What's the brand of carb got to do with fan blades coming off?

If it hadnt been the 400th time tuning the stupid Holley...I wouldnt have been under hood again when the blade came off.

See my point now?

Holleys are out and out junk.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #20
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
If it hadnt been the 400th time tuning the stupid Holley...I wouldnt have been under hood again when the blade came off.

See my point now?

Holleys are out and out junk.
That's kind of what I had figured after I posted. It's funny how everyone has different issues with different stuff. I was exactly the opposite with the Edelbrocks. I was constantly under the hood fiddling the darn things. After installing the Holley, the only thing I did to it was try to make it go faster. As far as everyday driveability, it was great.

Something else I like about a Holley carb, Every, and I do mean EVERY time I start my truck, all I have to do is bump the ignition key and the engine fires right up. If it's been sitting a while, I tap the gas once and it fires right up without a hitch. Every Edelbrock I've ever had, I had to turn the engine over a few times to get it to start. It was always worse when when the engine was hot. I don't know what causes it, but it always got on my nerves.

I will say this though, the only good Edelbrock carb I ever had was a 500cfm manual choke on a stock 350 in a 66 Chevy truck I used to have. That thing ran great! I'll never go bigger than 500cfm on stock engines anymore.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system

Last edited by 68Stepbed; 12-18-2008 at 09:30 AM.
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #21
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
That's kind of what I had figured after I posted. It's funny how everyone has different issues with different stuff. I was exactly the opposite with the Edelbrocks. I was constantly under the hood fiddling the darn things. After installing the Holley, the only thing I did to it was try to make it go faster. As far as everyday driveability, it was great.

Something else I like about a Holley carb, Every, and I do mean EVERY time I start my truck, all I have to do is bump the ignition key and the engine fires right up. If it's been sitting a while, I tap the gas once and it fires right up without a hitch. Every Edelbrock I've ever had, I had to turn the engine over a few times to get it to start. It was always worse when when the engine was hot. I don't know what causes it, but it always got on my nerves.

I will say this though, the only good Edelbrock carb I ever had was a 500cfm manual choke on a stock 350 in a 66 Chevy truck I used to have. That thing ran great! I'll never go bigger than 500cfm on stock engines anymore.
I have been using the 1405 Edelbrocks for a long time. I think that is 600 cfm. Never have had a problem. Out of the box onto the motor.

Some people are better with certain things...I am not good with Holleys.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #22
grancuda

Have any of you guys tried the new AVS carbs? They are great for performance and daily driving and very easily tuneable. I ran one daily for 6 months and the car ran in the low 12s with a small block and some 3.91:1 gears.

I think I can throw my monojet further than you can throw your Holley.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
QKENUF4U

used to be a huge holley lover till i put a carter afb on my blazer. will never look back !!! its either carters or edel from now on.(when i have a carbed vehicle again)
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #24
SactoJim

Smoked69.....I have a similar setup (142 blower on a 383) and I'm running an Edelbrock 800 AVS that has worked perfect right out of the box. I've had Demon's and Holley's but decided to try something different this time cuz I've never had much patience to dick with carbs even though for the most part I've had good luck with the others. I've pulled plugs and they look just fine, but with the calibration kit you can get seperately and wideband O2 tuning equipment, you could really dial it in.

Most will say that you will get more HP out of a holley and I agree, but by the various tests I've seen over the years, you're not gonna give up a whole lot of ponies on a purpose built street motor when chosing an Edelbrock over the others.

I would think that a 750 vac secondary carb would work just fine for your application.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
leddzepp

My dad threw a Holley about 50 yards when I was a kid. Then he walked over to his parts pile, and put a Carter back on.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote