The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
mdstitt

1956 Body Mount Questions

I am confused on the body mount kits that you can buy at Brothers trucks and other places for 55-59 trucks. They can be viewed here: http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=CMS5559

This kit only seems to have the rubber mounts for either the front or the rear (not sure which), and leaves out the other end. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Also, Steele rubber lists body mounts that they claim are for the front, but in the image, they look like my old rear mounts. I do not have any front mounts to compare to, so I really do not know what they look like.

Lastly, where can I find the core support mounts? Are they nothing more than two rubber pads, one on top and one on bottom of support with a spacer running inside for the bolt to bottom out on? If so, what thickness are they and how long is the spacer in between?

If anyone has any helpful information, it would be appreciated. Pictures of some original mounts would be even more appreciated.

Thanks!!
mdstitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: 1956 Body Mount Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstitt View Post
I am confused on the body mount kits that you can buy at Brothers trucks and other places for 55-59 trucks. They can be viewed here: http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=CMS5559

This kit only seems to have the rubber mounts for either the front or the rear (not sure which), and leaves out the other end. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Also, Steele rubber lists body mounts that they claim are for the front, but in the image, they look like my old rear mounts. I do not have any front mounts to compare to, so I really do not know what they look like.

Lastly, where can I find the core support mounts? Are they nothing more than two rubber pads, one on top and one on bottom of support with a spacer running inside for the bolt to bottom out on? If so, what thickness are they and how long is the spacer in between?

If anyone has any helpful information, it would be appreciated. Pictures of some original mounts would be even more appreciated.

Thanks!!
I got my cab mounts from Brothers. I may be wrong but I think the square rubber piecs are for the rear and the round ones are the fronts (or vice-versa).

As far as the core support goes I made my own out of 1/4" rubber.
Hope this helps.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
cajundragger

I've found with these old trucks its best to use washers while you fit your panels to simulate the body bushings then buy the bulk body mount material to cut and put inplace of the washers.

On my '49 I lowered all the cab and core support mounts down 1" so I can fit a thicker bushing in there for better vibration resistence. It seems to work well.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
mdstitt

My understanding was that the square ones go on the top between the cab and the frame and the round ones go on the bottom between the washer and the frame. The round steel insert then bottoms out on the steel part of the mount and the washer to create the rubber isolation with a tight bolt.

This is the way Steele rubber has them listed. They say there are four round bushings needed per cab, and the square ones they have listed as the front mounts.

I am actually already using solid mounts to align body panels, just looking into what is needed for permanent use.
mdstitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
OrrieG

When I took my truck a apart the front mounts were solid steel between the body and bracket with rubber below. The rear had rubber between the body and bracket and rubber below. It looks like the intent was to keep the front solid so the alignment with the hood, fenders and front support stayed in place while the back allowed for some dampening and movement. I added 1/2" of hard rubber to all 4 to gain clearance around my transfer case and room to route stuff between the frame and cab. I will need to raise the rad support and bed by the same amount to maintain alignment. The shims are to help with aligning the hood/rad support/fenders in case your cab mounts of the frame brackets have sagged a little bit. In another thread on this subject I posted the page from the FAM, but I do not have it on this computer.

Last edited by OrrieG; 01-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Kim57

Looks like OrrieG is right. I found this from an original service manual. From the paragraph on "Mounting" it looks like the rubber mounts go in the rear and the thin slotted ones in the kit go in the front.
Kim
Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
56ClassicTruck

Man I got jacked up on my kit from classic industries looking at this kit I did not get the front round rubbers or round sleeve I was not sure. I got screwed:,(
Posted via Mobile Device
56ClassicTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Kim57

mdstitt
You may be right. Its been years since I took mine apart and I honestly don't remember what order they were in. I'm also using solid mounts for doing my body fitment and will have to figure out how they go farther down the line.
It would be nice if someone had a diagram of how they actually fit.
Kim
Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Mac the Yankee

Bringing this one back- does anyone know if there is a company that makes a polyurethane version?
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #10
Gribbs

This has been really helpful for me as well, as a fella who is doing some work for me got stuck today trying to mount my cab, when he couldn't figure out how to use the aftermarket body cab mount kit for correct front/back mounting. Thanks guys!

To answer Mac - I have never seen a company that sells a poly version.
Gribbs is offline   Reply With Quote