The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
cLaWz

Holley 4160 Carb Help

Almost done with the repairs on the truck but want to verify this carb is ready to go. As noted in my build thread there was something wrong with just about everything with this motor during teardown but it was running and hopefully it will again. Have fixed all the problems along the way so I'm crossing my fingers!

Heres what I got. Holley 4160 carb. I broke it down and rebuilt it using pictures I took of the teardown as reference as well as the schematic in the holley (yes I used the official one!) rebuild kit. Now, the issue is I'm not sure it was built right in the first place (see above note about problems during teardown). I also may very well make myself like an idiot but I'm new to these and have no idea if the choke system is even on it. o.0 Hopefully someone can verify if this thing is/was built right.

Vacuum lines I am not to sure of. I know one was hooked into the vacuum advance on the distributor. The largest leads to the PCV valve. Is that all that is needed? Have numerous others plugged.

In addition, out of the intake they had this T system set up for vacuum lines.
Upper Left is plugged with a screw.
Lower left leads to what looks like a vacuum pod on the passenger side firewall.
Upper right goes to the brake booster.
Lower Right is capped off with god knows what.
Out of the top looks like it leads down to the transmission.

That all sound correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by cLaWz; 10-20-2009 at 03:45 PM.
cLaWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Holley 4160 Carb Help

You need to get a choke kit for that carb. the stuff there now is to lock the choke open. you have it locked closed right now. its not going to function. if you remove that rod and get a choke cable kit you can manually operate the choke.If im seeing that tee correctly your brake booster is tied in there big no no it needs its own feed otherwise you will lose vacuum and the brake pedal will be really hard to push.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
cLaWz

And this is why I love these boards!

Where would you suggest I hook up the booster at then? This is the way it was setup when my wife bought it so it's yet another thing that needs to be corrected.

As for the carb, I'm guessing that is why they had the rod disconnected that led up to the choke plate? Truck was running before so it was setup to work in some fashion.
cLaWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
cableguy0

in a warm climate it will work without the choke. the choke being open would be the way you would want to lock it in. that set screw on the top of the black lever will lock it in place. i would run the brake booster to the port on the carb and run the pcv to that tee. you can pull some of the other stuff off that tee and just hook it direct to the carb. that tee is providing full manifold vacuum and the port on the baseplate of the carb are as well. the ports coming off of the metering block are timed vacuum ports meaning they wont have vacuum at idle only while driving. the vac pod on the passenger side firewall is for the heater controls. you are correct the top line is running to the transmission modulator. i would move it so that the line isnt kinked otherwise the truck wont shift properly
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote