The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

I'm a first time color sander. Help!

sorry for posting this here, but i need some question answered and this forum gets viewed much more than the paint and body forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm jumping in head first today. i've started color sanding my truck. it was painted the weekend before memorial day with a BC/CC. When we shot it, we only used a gallon of clear. we were able to get 3 coats out of that gallon (we had 3 coats in mind, but never put thought to that being pretty thin), but i know that probably means the clear is pretty thin.

with that said, i'm using 2000 grit, and am planning to go over that with meguiars fine-cut cleaner #2, then if needed, meguiars machine glaze. I will be using a foam pad for both. on the scale thing on the bottle, the cleaner is shown as a #5 cut, and the glaze as a #1 cut.

my question is, what should the clear look like after color sanding? because the clear was sprayed faster than it should have been on my truck, i have a good amount of orange peel. I've sanded down one fender, and will go take some pics of it and post here. In some parts i have gotten it completely smooth. in others spots, you can still see high and low spots in the clear, aka, the peel.

considering i still plan to go over it with a variable speed buffer, should i get those spots smooth too? should i not worry about getting everything smooth?

i am being very careful not to go through the clear. I'm constantly checking my paper to see if there is any red.

anyways, your comments would be greatly appreciated.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Re: I'm a first time color sander. Help!

here are the pics to show what i'm working with

Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

i should clarify that the first two show my fender, after sanding with 2000 grit only.
the thrid pic shows the door, and is an example of what i'm trying to remove.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Anytime I've ever colorsanded, I have always sanded until all visible orange peel was gone. 3 coats should be enough, unless they were very light coats. Unless you are experienced with the buffer, I'd maybe practice a little on something else. You can burn through clear in a hurry if you're not careful. Be very careful on any body lines, seams and ridges, for example like the raised wheelwell opening in the second pic. It is extremely easy to burn through on places like that. Another problem area is like door handles, antennas, wipers and anything the buffer can catch and dig in around. Be careful around those too.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 06-29-2008 at 02:04 PM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

It looks like you are on the right track. The top part of your fender looks ready to start buffing on. It looks like you have alot of texture in the clear. I don't know if you will get all of it. Tip: tape over any high spots or ridges you are worried about burning through. When you are done they will blend in pretty well. Good luck.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
caja_larga

That is a whole bunch of orange peel. I would say if your last two coats of clear where put on heavy you should have plenty of clear to sand. I would start with 1200 grit paper to remove the bulk of the orange peel then hit it with the 2000 then buff. GO SLOW on the sanding I sand and use a squege to remove the water to see where I am at.
caja_larga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you "see red" it's waaaay to late. You could sand and even rub, still not seeing getting through the clear....but that doesn't mean that there is enough left on there to protect the base coat.
Rough spray, contrary to popular belief, is not thicker. Usually it is much thinner. The texture is somewhat protective though because the "tops" of the texture take the initial hit...so to speak. Once you wet-sand that off, you are now more uniform....thin. This can/will scratch easier. It takes far less to make noticable marks on paint that has been sanded "solid". Solid, meaning to the point where you don't see any shiny spots (texture) when you are done sanding and wipe clean.

If you are not sure of the materail thinkness.....Caution is the best way to go.
Don't sand any farther than you need to.
Be Carefull......no, really

Many guys that are planning to sand solid, clear twice. They shoot the vehicle like normal, wet-sand and re-clear, sanding soild and rubbing after the second time. It saves you from putting it on overly thick in the first place and gives you a "head start", because the texture is gone from the first shooting. Too thick is not good either.

Edited to add:
If this is a driver, not intended to be a show truck, stick with the "optical illusion" factor. As long as you get rid of the worst part of the "peel" on the lower parts of the body...all you really have to get "perfect" is the upper parts. From the bodyline up the the horizontal surface is most important. As long as it does not look really bad below that, to the point where it draws your eye to it, poeple will assume that all of the body is as good as the top..... Did I say be carefull?

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 06-29-2008 at 02:18 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

I'm in the process of doing mine now. I had 3 coats of clear & started with 1000 then went to 1500 and finished off with 2000. I used the Presta Ultra Cutting Cream with a foam pad @ 1500 -1800 RPM. Then switched to Presta Swirl Mark Remover and a new foam pad, I polished each area 3 -4 times or until I got the shine I wanted.
If you leave the low spots, they won't buff out. You'll still have the orange peel, just glossier. Try a small area that could be recleared if you would happen to go through the clear, and get the peel out of it. You should have enough clear to get it smooth. Let the buffer do the work and don't put alot of pressure on it. There are some good websites explaining how to colorsand. Here's what mine looked like after colorsanding & buffing. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Botietruck; 06-29-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
LONGHAIR

Quote:
I would start with 1200 grit paper to remove the bulk of the orange peel then hit it with the 2000 then buff.
Quote:
I had 3 coats of clear & started with 1000 then went to 1500 and finished off with 2000.
I am not a believer in all of that extra work or extra paper. Your compound should be able to handle 1200 grit. Solid is solid, how shiny the paper leaves it doesn't matter. 1200, plenty of water, a 3M rubber squeegee and sanding one time around are all you need.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Go to the auto parts store and get some of the 3-M rubber backing pads for wet sanding (if you haven't already got them). Use them to back your sand paper when you sand the paint. That will remove any chance of ridges, in the finish product, that might be caused by your fingers on the paper. I also use that pad or a small squeegee made of surgical material to wipe the water and paint film off as I rinse the sanded surface. I use a 1500 grit to start, but finish up with a 2500 grit to remove the larger sanding scratches and plenty of water. I believe you get what you put into it, in effort. What I look for a smooth finish (sanding scratches are there though) to ensure that the pebbled finish of the orange peel is gone. When you buff, the finish will give a shine like a mirror. I use 3-M finnessee-It as my buffing compound and then follow up with a 3-M glazing compound to take the swirl marks out. The thing that you want to look for is a buffing compound that does not cut too much or you will go through the clear coat. There are quite a few hours of sanding and buffing in the finish on this one.
Attached Images

Last edited by piecesparts; 06-29-2008 at 02:40 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
LONGHAIR

Like I said on another very similar post...
I use 3M's Perfect It II line. The compound is a little more agressive, but it "breaks-down" almost becoming it's own polish. Then follow with the foam pad glaze. Sanding finer than the grit of your compound does no good at all. The problem is that many companys will not directly tell you how coarse of a sanding scratch the product will remove. 3M's Perfect It says right on the label that it will remove 1200 grit marks....no need for more sanding than that. Saves time and money, looks great.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
70GMCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I use 3M's Perfect It II line. The compound is a little more agressive, but it "breaks-down" almost becoming it's own polish. Then follow with the foam pad glaze. Sanding finer than the grit of your compound does no good at all. The problem is that many companys will not directly tell you how coarse of a sanding scratch the product will remove. 3M's Perfect It says right on the label that it will remove 1200 grit marks....no need for more sanding than that. Saves time and money, looks great.
This is what I used on my bc/cc and with 1200 grit wet/dry........and I had some heavy orange peel in areas. When finished, There were no scratches to be seen. This stuff works. But with any compound, be careful with the buffer.......
Attached Images

1965 Mustang

Last edited by 70GMCer; 06-29-2008 at 05:59 PM.
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I won't challenge the thinking here, but it depends on what type of finish that you want. The "Perfect It II" line was created to make the polishing look like a factory paint job. That includes some dimpling effect that is in your paints of taoday. Take a look at a brand new car and you will see that effect. That is good for 90% of the public, then there are the ones that want that smooth finish. Yes; it will take scratches out at 1200 grit, but when the paint shrinks further the scratches will come out of the color --- seen it to many times and had to go back and polish out the scratches after the fact. I had a friend that we had to do his whole car over a few months after a comlete paint job. Now the car is immaculate and smooth---you have to decide what level you want to take your finish to. The black truck above has had the paint finish for over 6 years and it is driven and not trailered.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

thanks for the feedback guys. this is a driver, with the occasional stop at a local show. I'm going with what longhair said. worry about the top, and less about the bottom. most of the peel is coming out pretty well, it's the lower parts that aren't.

i like the idea about the tape over the body lines. i'm gonna do that now to prevent any issues. i could see that being a pretty big issue around the wheel wells, and especially the hood since everyone will see it there.

thanks again for the advice guys. btw botietruck, that is some really good looking work there. I don't have any grand illusions of mine looking that good. however, i've learned a lot from this project (my first body / paint work ever) and have a ton of things that i will do differently on the next one.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

oh, and thankfully i don't have to worry about door handles, locks or the antenna
Old 06-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
LONGHAIR

Rubbing around bodylines has more to do with what direction you are coming from than anything else. Be sure you are "flowing over" the line, not climbing it. Think of it like petting a cat.....down stream. Tape can help, but be careful (I said it again) that you don't snag the tape.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Great info!
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #18
chevy72blu

I wish this thread was around 3-4 years ago when I spent nearly a week working on mine. Great info in here.

I did only the hood, fenders, top of the tailgate, and the bed above the upper trim. No CC, but its garaged 24/365 and the paint looks incredible for how little I spent on it. I've had several people walk up and say "WOW! How much did you spend and who painted it?".

PITA, but one of the best things I have done to it as far as looks.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Hey Levi,

Ron said to just get out the belt sander and garden hose. You can make short work out of it that way...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
Bob 68327
72 Chevelle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Hey Levi,

Ron said to just get out the belt sander and garden hose. You can make short work out of it that way...

LockDoc

1972 Chevelle ... Mine

2006 Trailblazer... Hers

2002 Buick century ... Kids

2002 K1500 Z-71 EXT CAB ... Daily Driver

2005 Rockwood Roo ... For Camping

1974 Harley-Davidson XLH Sportster 84'' stroker
Bob 68327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #21
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

heh, yeah, i wanted to have Ron's friend do this, but cash is a bit tight right now, and i wanted to learn. so far so good.

I spent about 3 hours on sanding this afternoon. I got one fender, a door, half of the roof and half of the hood done. my wife made me go to a family thing this evening, but i was able to have a go at the polisher with the meguires fine-cut cleaner before we left on one spot of the hood. I have to say, if the rest of the truck comes out like this, i'm gonna be a happy dude.

i'm slightly concerned about the body lines though. I sanded fairly close to them with the 2000, but am staying about 1.5" away with the buffer. Will i be able to get it as shinny by hand as i am with the buffer? i realize it will be more work. i'm just worried that you'll be able to tell one spot from another.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I've never got it to come out the same but give it a try. I think they have a smaller foam pad for the detail stuff. You might check.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #23
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
Will i be able to get it as shinny by hand as i am with the buffer? i realize it will be more work. i'm just worried that you'll be able to tell one spot from another.
Yes, you will able to if you put a lot of work into. I had a bad experience when I was like 17 with a buffer, and it scared me away from them for a while. I had very nice paint job on my Z28 back then (color sanded buffed professionally) and someone ran into my dr side fender in a parking lot. Being tight on cash I painted it myself. It was black so color matching wasn't a issue, but my sprayed finish stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the adjacent hood and door. Being that I had burned through some spots on a truck I had, I wasn't about to put the buffer on my Camaro. I color sanded and hand buffed that fender to match the rest of the car. I had several hours work on that one fender, but I rubbed it out perfect, so I know its doable, but it is kinda a PITA!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #24
jott_06
Camaro Club

just thought i'd throw this out there even though most of you just do this as a hobby, At the body shop i work at we do all of our wet sanding the very next day after we paint and we use DA sanders. I bought a special finishing DA from Snap On that has a 3m hookit pad and 3m makes special wet sanding paper for the DA. We start out with 1500 grit and a spray bottle with water to remove all the dirt and orange peel then go over it once with 3000 grit which almost brings it to a shine and removes any swirl marks that the 1500 might have left. You just have to remember to keep the DA moving because it will sand through. Then we just follow the standard proceedures for buffing. We use 3m extra cut compound with a wool pad followed by there foam pad polish Buffing it as soon as we do makes it buff much easier also since the paint is still soft but you have to be a little more careful.
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #25
mfarmer

Be sure to post this in the Paint & Body forum. There is a couple of guys in there that will be able to point you in the right direction.
mfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote