The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
69 COPO

Pine Wood Bed Question?

I am Getting ready to install a new wood bed in my restored truck. Does any one have pictures of Pine Wood stained. I'm sick of Oak and want something different, but don't want to spend a ton. Need some answers, or other ideas. Thanks
69 COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Re: Pine Wood Bed Question?

One thing to consider with using pine, it is a much softer wood than Oak but I can understand wanting to use something different.

I personally would love to see a hickory bed! I think when I get ready to redo mine, I will use hickory, I love the way it looks.

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 12-08-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
cdowns

mahogoney softer than oak easier to work with great grain and alot more durable than pine and will hold up to moisture really well
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

I'd love to see a redwood bed on a black truck!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Ricks1971

Back when I had flat bed trailers I used apitong wood to refloor my trailer beds. It looks abit like mahogany,weathers well, and lasts along time. Its also reasonable priced and easy to work with.
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/apitong.htm
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
sameyrasmea72

If you really want something different and far-out, piant the wood body color like the general did.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
Woz

I went with 1 inch green treated wood. I had to run it through a table saw to get it to the correct dimensions etc... I used the info available on gmcpauls.com and I am happy with it.
Attached Images

Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
R.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I went with 1 inch green treated wood. I had to run it through a table saw to get it to the correct dimensions etc... I used the info available on gmcpauls.com and I am happy with it.
I like that on your green truck, a common durable affordable wood thats easy to replace ,smart.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Holy smokes! I found this web site that makes all kinds of bed woods for our trucks. Some of the packages were close to 2 grand! The birds-eye maple is beautiful as well as the canary wood.

check it out....

http://www.bedwoodandparts.com/Content/Home.aspx

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 12-09-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
Boog
laying low

You can use pine wood for your bed floor. I bought 1bys and cut my own but instead of staining it I painted it black. It was a DD so I needed durability mainly. It held up real well. You could buy C grade yellow pine and it be clear of all knots and such and that might stain up real nice.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
R.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post
Holy smokes! I found this web site that makes all kinds of bed woods for our trucks. Some of the packages were close to 2 grand! The birds-eye maple is beautiful as well as the canary wood.

check it out....

Don
I like the cypress.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post

check it out....

Don
I want to build a truck...I want to get my truck done. But OMG! I was looking at some of the wood...3000.00??? I want to buy the wood not have to get a loan to do it.

I think if I was to get any wood from there.. it would be the red oak at 399.00

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Here's a too-long tale, but good advice: Regardless of whatever kind of wood you use, a tip from an old deck-builder from way-back. I had a construction company for many years, and we built literally hundreds of decks. An old-timer told me this one, and it definitely is true:

"If you want the wood to last the longest time possible, meaning rot-away the slowest, always-always-always lay the boards down onto the deck (to the weather) bark side up."

If you look at the tree growth-rings on the end of most any board, you will see the concentric rings of annual growth of the tree that the board was cut from. They look like a big letter "C" usually.

Bark-side of the tree up (the C facing down), then the rain water that falls onto the board will naturally drain off the wood. Bark side down, & the board tends to cup just a bit, and it will hold water, & thus will rot sooner, & probably will split first, too. This is true even of the 5-quarter treated wood like WOZ is using, & which is probably the most-common decking-surface wood used everywhere. Some boards don't have the full C rings on them, being cut more on a bias from the tree during sawing, but there's always enough tree growth ring on there to tell which is which.

Look at the photos above, that WOZ posted above (not pointing a finger, WOZ, but it's a great example): in the first photo, all of the first four boards from right-to-left that are cut & getting ready to be laid, are wrong (upside down from how they should be - they are bark side down). If you look at the next photo below that one, right below the beer-bottle, that bark side down board has cracked already, just from starting the drying-out process from the wet treatment solution, after it was installed.

If you want to prove this "bark side" thing to yourself, walk outside on a deck about ten minutes after a rain shower & look at which boards are dry, & which ones are holding water. Then look at the ends of the board. The bark side up boards will have drained, & are beginning to dry out. The bark side down ones will have a puddle standing on them, having cupped, & holding water atop themselves. In a few years, those boards will have to be replaced, because they'll be the first to crack & rot.

Last edited by 68shortstep; 12-09-2008 at 12:39 PM.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
R.L.

Thumbs up Re: Pine Wood Bed Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortstep View Post
Here's a too-long tale, but good advice: Regardless of whatever kind of wood you use, a tip from an old deck-builder from way-back.

"If you want the wood to last the longest time possible, meaning rot-away the slowest, always-always-always lay the boards down onto the deck (to the weather) bark side up."

If you want to prove this "bark side" thing to yourself, walk outside on a deck about ten minutes after a rain shower & look at which boards are dry, & which ones are holding water. Then look at the ends of the board. The bark side up boards will have drained, & are beginning to dry out. The bark side down ones will have a puddle standing on them, having cupped, & holding water atop themselves. In a few years, those boards will have to be replaced, because they'll be the first to crack & rot.

That makes perfect sence, learn somphin nu ever dey.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Most of the woods they use to make those bed kits are available locally as lumber, for ALOT cheaper. The really expensive kits are marked up just for the wow factor. Go talk to a local cabinet builder, or sand and finish flooring contractor. They can probably point you to someplace like Edensaw Woods

R.L. Australian Cypess is a really neat wood, except is is very oily and extremely brittle. You can literally break a 1x4 over your knee with not much effort.

If any of you are interested in finding some exotic lumber, but need help finding any, let me know. Be glad to help.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #16
lax54650

i had wondered about using composit deck material? cats and works like wood would last forever!! i wonder if anyone has done it? i sm probsbly at least a year away from that stage in my project.
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
dfosh

The treated wood will shrink as the treatment dries out . I helped a friend do a bed in a 50 Ford .He bought some rough dried lumber thicker,longer and wider than he needed . He then had it sized and run through a plainer used a router to fit the metal strips . we then sanded the wood wiped it down and put 10 coats of marine urethane sealer .Sanding between each coat ,had to let it dry atleast 24 hrs between coats . had about 100 bucks and his labor in it.Sorrry this was so long.
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
msgross

I have NOS wood... pine I think and stained black...

I might do oak though...Mar-K has some decent deals when they offer 10% off...

also,don't assume that all oak is hard.. I put Red oak in my house and should have gone with a harder version...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 12-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
chipflyer

I went with oak on mine and could not find a better price locally (or shipped for that matter) than Classic parts of America (formerly Chevy Duty) Picked it up myself, it was excellent quality, was cut perfectly and was I believe right around $280. I have a buddy that works at a local cabinet shop that thought he could get the wood cheaper but could not, he also checked with Lowes and home depot and found it was even higher.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #20

Teak?
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote