The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Need fast answer please! 72 front crossmember removal question..

First light on Saturady morning, I will be removing the entire disc brake front crossmember from a 72 C10. I bought the whole front suspension including power steering set-up and master cylinder/booster/prop valve to install in the Project 68.

He is removing the engine, transmission, and the whole front clip tomorrow, so I will have unlimited access to the crossmember. I want to unbolt it and roll it out as a unit.

Question: Will I need to remove the coil springs, or will the stay in place? I've never done this type of surgery before, so I don't know what to expect. I want to keep as much of it in tact as possible. Where and what do I need to unbolt and/or remove?

From what I have gathered so far: I will need to unbolt the idler arm from the frame, either remove the steering gear from the frame or remove the pitman arm from the center link as well as the steering shaft, disconnect brake lines where needed, and unbolt from the frame. How many places is it bolted to the frame on each side?

I have searched the boeard for awhile now and can't fine the exact answer I am looking for, so I'm sorry in advance if this is a redundant question!

Project 68 ....... soon to have power disc brakes and power steering!

Thanks in advance!!!!!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:15 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Ask on the message board page and you will get a better response.
Wish I knew the answer. I will asvise you to take a torch, it will make it go a lot quicker.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

I am waiting on that same set of instructions. I am getting the same set up from a 72, but I am putting it on a 69, not a 68.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
Sweet72

Yes you will have to remove the coil springs. This can be done safely with the front of the truck suspended by the lower control arm shafts on jackstands. Then you'll need to support the lower control arm with a jack to relieve the tension on the coils, and separate the lower ball joint from the spindle. Slowly let the jack down and the spring will come out. Do this on both sides and then you can start to remove the bolts that hold the crossmember to the frame. I think there are six bolts that can be accessed from under the crossmember, I think eight more on the sides of the frame and six on the inside bottom rails of the frame . Now you'll need to support the frame and make sure your rear wheels are chocked so it doesn't get away from you. Once all fasteners are removed, pitman arm, idler, brake lines, shocks etc are loose, just pull it out. A set of pickle forks and a helper will make your job easier. Almost forgot about the upper control arm shaft bolts, two on each side must be removed. Good luck!
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.

Last edited by Sweet72; 03-19-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
nightmare

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweet72
Yes you will have to remove the coil springs. ... I think there are six bolts that can be accessed from under the crossmember, I think eight more on the sides of the frame ... Almost forgot about the upper control arm shaft bolts, two on each side must be removed. Good luck!
i don't completely agree with this. i just did a conversion to a disc brake setup, and i didn't have to remove the coils at all. nor the upper control arm shaft bolts. although, if you plan on rebuilding it, it would be easier to remove them at this point, but they do not have to be removed. there are 4 bolts on each side rail of the frame, and there are 3 bolts on each side, bottom part of the rail.

maybe i'm wrong, or just got lucky, but this is my experience . . .

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!

Last edited by nightmare; 03-19-2004 at 04:24 PM.
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
MrGoodpliers

No, you don't have to remove the coil springs. Once you pull the motor/frame mounts, it will be clear how many bolts there are on each side. I can't remember how many, but there are quite a few! Everything else is just as you said. It will be easy since you're dealing with a bare frontend.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
Southpa

I don't know if 3/4 ton and half ton are different but its still pretty basic. I pulled a 71 - 1/2 ton front end and installed in my '70 about 3 yrs ago. Everything can go in one shot, including steering linkage. Disconnect shocks at upper shock mounts. Disconnect pitman arm from steering box shaft. If you are interchanging between "armstrong" and power steering you might want to keep your old pitman arm, splines on steering box shaft are different sizes. If there is a front sway bar it has to come off, make sure you take it with you, . Gotta pull the inner fenders too, if they are still on.

If the brake line fittings come out of the calipers easy they might be reusable. If you have to torch it out be careful on the horizontal bolts that attach the brackets to the frame. On the inner frame channel there are large square nuts welded in. I had a buddy help me who was in a hurry. He chopped the bolt right where it screwed into one of those nuts leaving nothing behind. End result was a nub stuck in there that had to be cut out with a torch later. Try to wrench it out first, its SO much easier to put back together.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.

Last edited by Southpa; 03-20-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
Sweet72

glock35ipsc,
My bad, the coil springs don't have to come out. It's been a few yrs. since I removed mine and I remember completely stripping the front crossmember before removal.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote