The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
HuntinNut

Cab & Bed Alignment

Ok so I've spent years getting collecting and getting to the point where I could set the cab and bed on my frame and start putting my 66 back togather. I set the cab on and bolted it down and spent Sun cutting new wood and setting my swb on the frame.
I thought the cab was square or aligned on the frame, but I cannot get the bed aligned with the cab so I be leave the cab isn't right so I have a couple questions.

What's the best way to get the cab in installed correctly or where should i take my measurements ? From the few measurements I did tonight I believe it's off.

What should my gap be between the bed and frame ?
HuntinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
69chevytrucker

Re: Cab & Bed Alignment

rear of frame to back of cab on both sides should be the same and back side of rocker to side of frame on both sides
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
jason999

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinNut View Post
Ok so I've spent years getting collecting and getting to the point where I could set the cab and bed on my frame and start putting my 66 back togather. I set the cab on and bolted it down and spent Sun cutting new wood and setting my swb on the frame.
I thought the cab was square or aligned on the frame, but I cannot get the bed aligned with the cab so I be leave the cab isn't right so I have a couple questions.

What's the best way to get the cab in installed correctly or where should i take my measurements ? From the few measurements I did tonight I believe it's off.

What should my gap be between the bed and frame ?
You never said exactly where your alignment is off.

On my truck, if you are looking at the side, the trim on the bedside sits slightly higher than the trim on my cab and door.

This is because the wood was cut slightly thicker than it should have been. The bed sides sitting on the thicker wood makes the bed sit higher than it should. Could this be your problem?
jason999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
HuntinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason999 View Post
You never said exactly where your alignment is off.

On my truck, if you are looking at the side, the trim on the bedside sits slightly higher than the trim on my cab and door.

This is because the wood was cut slightly thicker than it should have been. The bed sides sitting on the thicker wood makes the bed sit higher than it should. Could this be your problem?
My body lines match up fine. From the east ring I just did the cab isn't square on the frame. I think I need or would like to find measurement from the cab to frame ends and the gap between the bed and cab. I'd hate to have it to far forward and have to start it all over again when I go to mount my front clip..
Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
par4tom

To square up the cab, undo the back two bolts on the cab mounts, grab a block of wood and a floor jack and jack up the back of the cab about an inch. Measure from the bolt holes that go through the frame and make some marks every quarter of an inch or so on the frame in the direction of the back of the cab.

With the marks now set on the frame, lower the cab back down and reinsert the bolts. Align the cab to the same marks on both frame rails (if possible) and tighten down.

If I was a betting man, I don't think the issue is with the cab. Those beds are easy to get tweaked out if shape without the wood in them.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
HuntinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4tom View Post
To square up the cab, undo the back two bolts on the cab mounts, grab a block of wood and a floor jack and jack up the back of the cab about an inch. Measure from the bolt holes that go through the frame and make some marks every quarter of an inch or so on the frame in the direction of the back of the cab.

With the marks now set on the frame, lower the cab back down and reinsert the bolts. Align the cab to the same marks on both frame rails (if possible) and tighten down.

If I was a betting man, I don't think the issue is with the cab. Those beds are easy to get tweaked out if shape without the wood in them.
Measuring from inside rockers front and rear to frame. Then from firewall to frame ends it is out of square.