The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

another intermittent starting problem

truck is a 79K10 350 v8 with automatic
took the truck to get inspected the other day and it massively overheated. Towed it back home and put water in radiator. I was able to get it started and was using it around here . It would shut off it would crank but wouldn't start.
The first time it happened I decided to check the gas as the gauge doesn't work . I threw gas in after a half hour going to get gas and it started ran for a little while. I was using the truck to push things around It did stall a couple of times but started right up.
It cut out again again cranked like a SOB wouldn't start. this time black smoke was puffing out the tail pipe and using a screwdriver it did not have spark
I checked the cap and rotor and the rotor had a large black burn mark on it so I changed that out with a cap with coil and rotor I had and it started it and worked for another short bit when it cut out again . I immediately checked for spark and no spark but black puffs out the exhaust so I changed out the module in the distributor. It still wouldn't start so I hooked a chain around the truck and with my son I pulled the truck about 30 ft . He tried the key after moving it forward and it fired up . I parked it and I haven't touched it since
I should also mention we put a brand new exhaust on the truck ( walker pipes with a rock auto cat and standard muffler) and we threw a new 1406 edelbrock carb on it a week ago as the OEM carb was kinda cruddy.

I am kinda stumped here the carb does not push black smoke upon start or while running just when it stalls and it only cranks.. Im wondering if the whole distributor needs to be replaced? ideas?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
Axle

Re: another intermittent starting problem

Start with the carb. Black = rich.

Still got your old carb?

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
greg64

Sounds like the new carb might be so rich on cranking that it's fouling the plugs. How exactly are you testing for spark? Next time it won't start, try putting a spare plug on a wire (leave all 8 plugs in the engine). Open the spare plug gap up to 1/4" or more; HEI will jump this easily if it is working properly (in free air).

We really need to determine if this is a spark problem or fuel problem.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I pull a wire and stick a screwdriver up the wire and leave it so it should arc to ground

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote