The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
dads longhorn

1971 option code 629 cloth seats pics

Does any one have pics of 1971 option code 629 dark olive cloth trim for bench seat? That's what the spid calls the seat material, (i guess thats referecing the seat material) but it's been reupholstered and I'd like so see what the original should be. Thank you ahead of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by dads longhorn; 12-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 1971 option code 629 cloth seats pics

I'm interested, the Olive Custom Cloth (i.e. green houndstooth on supers) was code 632. So am interested in what you have.

What trim level is your truck? Custom, Custom Deluxe, Cheyenne, or Cheyenne Super (can't tell in the avatar).

I am guessing it's a Custom Deluxe and that you have the standard Custom Deluxe Green cloth(??) It would like like this one, except green. But, I don't have a SPID to confirm the number. if you don't have a Custom Deluxe, then I'm stumped, and very interested!!

BTW, can you post some pics of your truck, not sure I've seen that one before! Looks very nice.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
jocko

Here ya go - better pic, in green. This is a 629 seat, standard for a custom deluxe. Also, see post #80 of this thread for a full shot of a member's. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=555064&page=4
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 12-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
dads longhorn

wow, you guys are awesome!! Ask and you shall receive. the pics are great! Thank you. Ive attached a pic of what's on their now, definately not as nice as original, but it still works. so is it possible to get the seats done in original any more? Or am I dreaming? SPID pic too for trim levels. ok parts folks, whose hoarding the materials for this??? ha ha ha
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Here ya go - better pic, in green. This is a 629 seat, standard for a custom deluxe. Also, see post #80 of this thread for a full shot of a member's. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=555064&page=4
I got a seat just like that, it is ripped a bit on the driver side but I would be willing to part with it for $100
68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
SS Tim

The Custom cloth seat covers are not reproduced as far as I have been able to find. The cover you have appears to be a well done period replacement. If it were up to me (even being the purist I am) I would leave it in for now. Go ahead and price a custom made cover if SMS still has any material and maybe have one made up for later use. For now though I would keep it and use it up before changing it.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
dads longhorn

Beetle, thank you for the great offer i appreciate it, but i'll pass for now.
SS Tim, who is SMS? an upholstery place i'm sure but i've not heard of them before (but I also haven't looked yet). Yes, I plan to use this up first, but planning ahead is a good way for me to educate myself and save in advance for the purchase. Thanks for the opinion that what's on there looks ok. i tend to purist also, but it costs me!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I got a seat just like that, it is ripped a bit on the driver side but I would be willing to part with it for $100
Beetle...I'm actually looking for a seat like this to match my suburban interior...I'll PM you my email if you don't mind sending me some pictures??...don't want to pollute this thread

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
jocko

thanks for posting the pics dads - that is a very nice longhorn - and custom camper to boot!!! Cool. So, based on the SPID, I believe Z62 gave the buyer the chance to order custom cloth (custom deluxe) or custom vinyl (cheyenne level) seats. Is your truck a Custom Deluxe or a Custom? I didn't see it called out specifically by name on the SPID, but I don't recall the RPO number for it - and perhaps Z62 is it (someone help a lazy searcher out here...) If not, then the Custom Comf pkg gives you the ability to get the upgraded seat cover and woodgrain on the door panels (normally associated with a Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super only). Anyway, looks great as is - I do think it would be worth pursuing a re-done original type of cover via some of the options posted above. Another option if getting it custom made is too painful - considering it has the Z62 option - the custom cloth green shown above would be correct - BUT, a Cheyenne Super set cover would look equally as nice, if not nicer, if you are not hung up on a 100 pt resto. It's the best looking seat cover in my mind - only available from the factory in olive/parchment/blue. But, it would not have come in a Cheyenne, Custom D, or Custom. Here's what it looks like anyway - they look great, and are readily available from most suppliers. (bonus!)
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 12-17-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
SS Tim

Jocko don't get her going. Her truck is a correct '71 Custom Deluxe Z62. It is just stealth like your Custom Camper Cheyenne Super. The door panels are correct for her truck. The seat cover is of course incorrect and the floor mat should be color keyed green but replacements only come in black and I would not dye it unless planning to run floor mats. Even then you would be touching it up twice a year.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
dads longhorn

Whew, too late, got me all confused. Custom deluxe with cloth vinyl seat cover like the pics provided. Got that. Not being reproduced but should check with Truckseats board vendor. Couldn't find them in the vendors area. Would you happen to know how to contact them?
Color coded rubber floor mat, I didn't know that! Stuck w black it appears but at least I know that it should be olive color.
You're all a lot of help, even if all the options/variations get overwhelming. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
bruceman1968

Dads, here is a link to truckseats thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=532345
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
SS Tim

Sorry, Sometimes the minutia of correct details can be confusing.
But there is a question that I somehow screwed up. The door panels are correct as far as the vinyl is concerned but they should not have the woodgrain insert at the top. Were they replaced to your knowledge? Do you have any early pictures of the truck that might confirm it left the dealer that way? The wood trim started at the next trim level up the Cheyenne (RPOZ84). Dug through some of my brochure clips and found a '71 Custom Deluxe Suburban interior. It should be the same as the pickup except for headliner. Again sorry about the confusion to you and jocko.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
jocko

Tim, was assuming a Custom Deluxe for Z62, but in my comment above, I was actually referencing the Custom Comfort and Appearance (which is how the SPID is worded, so I'm assuming early 71 production year perhaps) option description from the 71 sales rag as shown below. The way it is worded there, it makes it sound like "Custom Comfort and Appearance" is a generic term for both the new (for 71) Custom Deluxe and Cheyenne trim levels. Having said that - I misread the SPID - it actually states Custom Comfort and CONVENIENCE (So my point is moot!) ha.

Was also referencing some of the discussion in this thread, although I think some of the references to YE9 super are inaccurate (but irrelevant to this discussion also). http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=55951
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 12-17-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
SS Tim

No, I knew in '71 RPO Z62 was the Custom Deluxe trim level. In '71 the trim levels changed. The base trucks, previously a "C", became Customs. The previously offered Z62 Custom Comfort and Appearance option became a similar but slightly de-contented stand alone trim level Custom Deluxe but remained RPO Z62. The CST (Custom Sport Truck) became the Cheyenne trim level again using the previous RPO Z84. Finally in late '71MY (March/April) the new YE9 Cheyenne Super was offered as the highest trim level.

The '71 brochure clip is introducing the new for '71 Cheyenne and Custom Deluxe trim levels as custom comfort and appearance packages.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
dads longhorn

I don't think the door panels were ever replaced but can't be positive. Ill look thru some pictures this weekend to see if there are any we can use in there. I was wondering what the z62 option was too so thanks on that. A very onteresting conversation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
dads longhorn

Ahhh, I found Truckseats! Thanks for the link. If I get in line now I might get the covers by christmas2014!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
SS Tim

Your existing cover should last until then! On the door panels the searches I've run seem to confirm what others have been posting. The 71 pickups with the Custom Deluxe trim had the wood where as Suburbans did not. At this point I'd say keep what you have and don't worry about it. If I do uncover a plant to plant variation on this I will let you know.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
MidLifer

I went through this with my 71 CD interior just this year - mine was Parchment, but SMS had the fabric. It wasn't cheap. I talked to Truckseats and a local upholsterer, and the cost to make a cover exactly like stock was more than I was willing to pay, so I bought one of Truckseats' houndstooth covers and never looked back. Can't say enough good about his work.
Attached Images

MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
jkeady

Sorry to dredge this up but it seemed more appropriate than making a new thread.

My '70 Custom Camper has the same SPID 629 (Olive Cust Cloth Trm) seat as Jocko posted in post #3 of this thread. Everything I see mentions this as being a '71+ option. Thoughts on that? When did they start offering that upholstery option?

I realize it's only been a month since the last post, but has anyone sourced a replacement cover? I love the way this seat pattern looks and mine is pretty beat up. Sounds like Truckseats is the way to go...

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
SS Tim

Josh,
You have the earlier Custom interior option Z62 that is very similar to the later (71-72) Custom Deluxe trucks also coded Z62. It is mostly a shifting around of names and models by the marketing guys but the earlier 67-70 Z62 trucks actually had a little more content. Check out item "C" in the picture from the '70 brochure.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
dads longhorn

Post 25 C shows "custom" interior (custom deluxe?) with wood grain on the door...like mine, a custom deluxe, stealth style. So, it would appear that the wood grain is on custom deluxe 1971 truck, not suburban. I
like the cloth and vinyl seat the best. The foam used on the bench seat is called "full depth" foam seats , so there must be another type of foam type (i just care that mine is called a "full depth" foam. It's all I can do to keep mine straight). So I learned something. I think truckseats could do one for me but it wouldn't have the scroll work, too expensive to get that done elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Todd99 can you post some pics of your truck? It sounds just like mine, you're the only one on here, I think that has one similar to my 1971 c20 custom camper longhorn custom delux. Whew
Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #23
SCHRUMGMC

This helped me solve so many things
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
ARC190

Since we're on the topic of what stock interiors looked like, anybody have any pictures of the 'Black Vinyl Custom' option number 1603AE on a '71 Cheyenne? I have a full cloth cover installed right now that is splitting at the seams and needs to be replaced. I have the black vinyl door panels with wood grain and scroll work and black pleated headliner with chrome trim.
Posted via Mobile Device
ARC190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
SS Tim

First is a 72 Cheyenne but except for the door panels is the same as a 71.
Second is a 71 Cheyenne.
Attached Images