The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
70Custom10Nut

Question Another starter Question

Another starter question for the experts. My son is asking about putting a 3 bolt starter on my truck to try to fix the ongoing issue, with it not engaging properly. Being where I am I can't crawl up under the truck to see if it'll work. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this. The engine in the original, 350 CI 4 bolt main w/350 THM trans. Nothing special inside the block as far as high performance. Thanks

Last edited by 70Custom10Nut; 03-20-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: need to add more
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Another starter Question

Why re-invent the wheel.
Standard 2 bolts works well if you use the correct knurled bolts and a starter brace.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The whole thought process on engagement is to have the right starter aligned to the flywheel or flexplate. This means that the actual engagement also includes getting the right amount of gap between the starter teeth that the flexplate's teeth. This is adjusted by adding or removing starter shims from the starter mounting bolts. It takes a little time, but things align well, once you get the gaps right. If it does not align with two bolts, would adding another mounting bolt do anything other than have added an insurance of tightness. Do you issues of the starter coming loose or just issues with the mesh of the starter and flexplate gears?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
70Custom10Nut

He says it's coming loose, and or flexing to the point that it skips and grinds on the flexplate. A little history. I ahad a lot of issues with finding the right starter through the regular Auto Parts stores and went through numerous starters, before an old gear head directed me to a little shop that delt in factory starters. I put one on an had no problems for over ten years. maybe i need to make the trip back there to get another one.
Does it do any good to have the brace on the back of the starter motor?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
geezer#99

[QUOTE
Does it do any good to have the brace on the back of the starter motor?[/QUOTE]

Yes!! Then the starter doesn't come loose and flex and grind on the flexplate.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'm a huge fan of the late model gear reduction starters. When I need a starter, I buy one for a 98 model C1500 pickup. It's a direct bolt on with no mods at all. It's a better unit, fantastically lighter, smaller overall. This is one area where technology has made older stuff obsolete. I can hold one of these new type starters up under the truck with two fingers while I start the bolts. A good brand (I use Remy) will run you about 90 dollars including paying the core charge.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Tx Firefighter;6586795]I'm a huge fan of the late model gear reduction starters. When I need a starter, I buy one for a 98 model C1500 pickup. It's a direct bolt on with no mods at all. It's a better unit, fantastically lighter, smaller overall. This is one area where technology has made older stuff obsolete. I can hold one of these new type starters up under the truck with two fingers while I start the bolts. A good brand (I use Remy) will run you about 90 dollars including paying the core charge

Good comparison in the pics. A hell of a lot of difference. I've got a bad shoulder and trying to hold up the heavy stock starter while swapping out has always been a hassle. Guess which one I'll buy next time?
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
70Custom10Nut

TxFF, This looks like it would solve my header clearance problem too. Thanks for the info. I'll update later