The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
gary2232

Kick Down Linkage 1406

Installed Edelbrock 1406 today and as always the "just bolts on its easy" never works. The cable to tranny for passing gear is to short it will limit the throttle. Is there a extender bracket or should I just make something?? Or am I missing the easy fix??? Also the bracket that mounts on back side of carb base that holds the throttle cable dose not fit well Is there a after market one I should get???
gary2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
pmpski_1

Re: Kick Down Linkage 1406

Ah, I recently went through this same thing. Here's what (may have*) worked for me:

1. Lokar throttle cable and bracket. Pricey, but it worked well, especially after messing around with the EDL part that didn't seem to fit right.
2. I adjusted the kickdown cable to it's longest position and it's just long enough. I ordered the Lokar kickdown cable as well but if I can get the stock one to work I'll probably send the Lokar back. As nice as it is, I'll make do with the stocker and buy something else with the cash.

* I say may have worked because I haven't driven it yet. I don't know if the kickdown cable will be correct at that length. But it is long enough now.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
mrein3

I'm not sure but I think all the kick-down cables are the same. The only difference between 2bbl and 4bbl carbs is the kick-down cable bracket.

My truck originally (originally to me anyways) was a 350 and 3-speed column shift tranny. As time went on I installed a th350 and put together and installed a 383 cubic inch engine.

My kick-down cable was off of a 1972 Blazer that also donated the th350, transfer case adapter, and transfer case. I don't know what engine or carb was in the Blazer because that was gone when I got three. Lucky for me the kick-down cable was still there so I didn't have to scrounge one up.

For the kick-down bracket I used an Edelbrock piece. I apologize but I don't remember the part number.

The Edelbrock piece has a place for the kick-down cable and another hole for the throttle cable. Since my cab was a 1970 I had a throttle rod so the hole for the cable was open. I used it for my aftermarket cruise control. The lower hole I used for the kick-down cable.

When you get the correct bracket, the cable adjustment is EASY. There is a black clip behind where the cable fits in the bracket. Lift that up, attach the cable to the throttle arm on the carb, move the throttle to wide open throttle, and while holding the throttle wide open, push the gate down. You're done!

Here is a couple of pictures of what it looks like hooked up to a 1406 carb on a 2101 Performer manifold on a small block.
Attached Images

Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
pmpski_1

Forgot to mention that I ended up using the stock 4bbl kickdown bracket.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
gary2232

After calling Edelbrock they said I could release cable from original bracket that holds both throttle and T V cable and pull extra cable up?? Have not tried yet will see tonight after work? I see that is what you guys are saying. Did another search after I learned the proper name and what this cable actually dose, and came up with some good info. Some comments are if not set correctly I could damage my transmission. Thanks for the replies will try tonight after work!
gary2232 is offline   Reply With Quote