The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Diablo de la Noche

Rattle Can Paint Job

Who did the awesome rattle can paint job? I saw it the other day and can't find it again. I started playing around with the same color, gunmetal grey metalic, and I love it. I figure if works out, cool. If it doesn't, no big deal, it needed painting anyway.
Diablo de la Noche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Re: Rattle Can Paint Job

I've heard it can be done but it is very difficult. Don't forget you still have to prep the surfaces properly before you paint. Good luck!

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
R.L.

Is spray can paint any better than a Maaco and by the time you bought enough cans to paint you're truck would it be just as cost affective as paying someone else to do it with a spray gun? Will rattle can paint last any longer than Maacos cheap paint job? I'm just curious. I really don't know but I understand it's a crap shoot the kind of job you get from one Maaco to the other and from time to time as the workers come and go. Been a lot of talk lately about Maaco is why I ask.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
mclairmo

I had One Day Paint & Body paint my wife's 83 Mercedes 300D and it turned out really good for the $400. I did all the prep and bodywork and even made sure it was really clean but they can spray paint and the paint is not bad. They had a bad run under the back window but had a guy buff it out for free. It has lasted several years already. I say it's better than a rattle can for sure, BUT you have to prep it well. I have heard of horror stories where these production shops will paint right over dirt.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I have heard this debate a 1000 times.....prep work is what its all about...these guys shoot 10/15 cars a week so at least they have practice on a regular basis.....I would bring it to them with as much stuff removed as I could (side markers and such) then tape off the edge of the grill take the tail gate off remove your window rubbers wiper arms and anything else.....then let them squirt it...I would even pull the rear window

If your looking ofr really cheap and you have time I have read many posts about guys shooting it with rustolium ( laqcor paint) but the wet sanding after words can be tough but have heard great results...google it seems to be popular with old car guys

good luck either way

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Chada

If you are going to go to all that trouble you can buy the paint on the internet for 35 dollars a gallon, a gun at Harbor Freight for 39 bucks and rent a compressor for the day. Probably comes out less than all the cans of spray paint and you will get a better job. I just did this. We did all the body work ourselves then shot it with a no sand primer and then four coats of acrylic enamel. This is a driver truck for me and it came out pretty darn good when the alternative, like you, was spray paint. We did it in my friend's car port with a compressor that really was not strong enough. We had never painted anything before. Its amateur but better than spray paint and this truck is for hauling stuff not for show.
Attached Images

Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chada View Post
If you are going to go to all that trouble you can buy the paint on the internet for 35 dollars a gallon, a gun at Harbor Freight for 39 bucks and rent a compressor for the day. Probably comes out less than all the cans of spray paint and you will get a better job. I just did this. We did all the body work ourselves then shot it with a no sand primer and then four coats of acrylic enamel. This is a driver truck for me and it came out pretty darn good when the alternative, like you, was spray paint. We did it in my friend's car port with a compressor that really was not strong enough. We had never painted anything before. Its amateur but better than spray paint and this truck is for hauling stuff not for show.
Where'd you buy the paint, and how much did it cost you?
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
mas09ts

Quote:
Got any more pics of the paint in the sunlight, I was just looking on that site the other day wondering how good their paint would be.
Current Project 68 Gmc "Second Chance"
Go to my 68 GMC Shorty Rebuild Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...39#post6341739
mas09ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
I
If your looking ofr really cheap and you have time I have read many posts about guys shooting it with rustolium ( laqcor paint) but the wet sanding after words can be tough but have heard great results...google it seems to be popular with old car guys
I'm pretty sure that Rustoleum is Enamel....not Lacquer.
Either way, I wouldn't paint a truck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I'm pretty sure that Rustoleum is Enamel....not Lacquer.
Either way, I wouldn't paint a truck with it.
my bad your right ...but I have heard of some really good results....my truck was painted with it and well lets say the prep was...ummmm....no very good but I could see that it would have potential

Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
greasemonkey

I sprayed Rustoleum on my Trooper using an HVLP. I did a bit of body work, a lot of rust removal, DA'd the whole truck, and painted it in sections. 1 gallon of primer, 1 gallon color, and 1 gallon acetone and my truck looks better than what a lot of the "custom" shops around here pump out.

1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Jblackie47803

I painted my '65 Rambler Wagon with Rustoleum and a 4 inch foam roller. Results were spectacular and it still looks good 2 and a half years later. Nobody at any car show I have been to ever believes I painted it that way at first. But... It was a lot of work prep and final buff out. It is Antique White, a beige color that almost identically matches the factory color

As I said it still looks good 2 and a half years later but it is always garaged and not out in the weather. A year later I painted my 355 S-10 the same way but with Rustoleum Sunrise Red. The results were okay but not nearly as good. But I didn't put as much time in it either. The red doesn't have anywhere near the depth or reflectivity that the beige does.

Before:

After:

As you can see, it is shiny but has no depth. THe Rambler looks like a factory paint job though. I wish I had better reflective pics. After a year outside I must say the truck's paint doesn't look any worse. Not chalky like some say, but it's only been a year.

These were both about 6 coats of paint, thinned with mineral spirits about 60/40, rolled on 24 hour apart. It takes only about 30 minutes to apply a coat. The pros are: limited amount of masking, no overspray, if a bug lands in it you just wipe it off with your thumb and roll back over it, and most of all you do it at home, cheap, on your shedule. The cons are: a lot of labor, especially in the post-paint treatment(colr sanding/buffing). It works for me because I have plenty of time, just no money. I can't say if it is right for everybody, but if it means the difference between finishing a "driver" project or driving around for years in primer til it's rusty, as you save for a paint job, I say go for it.

Last edited by Jblackie47803; 10-02-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Jblackie47803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Well, it's not awesome yet, but once I get that bedside and hood finished and have some decent weather to wet sand at 2000 and then buff it out, it will be!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=364887
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
mclairmo

I also painted my Camaro myself but it was not cheap. I rented a spray booth and towed the car there. Used PPG base/clear in Mazda Miata red and then cut and polish. Cost me about $1,500 to do myself but the paint looks awesome and has lasted over 15 years. Would have cost thousands to have a shop do it. Took a paint and body class at the local junior college at night. Was worth it.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Chada

I got the paint here:

http://www.paintforcars.com/
Old 10-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
Chada

The paint itself was fine. We used an HPLV gun and our compressor did not have enough air which caused some orange peel. That was our fault not the paint's. I can buff it out after thirty days if I want but I doubt I will bother.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
mas09ts

Quote:
The paint itself was fine. We used an HPLV gun and our compressor did not have enough air which caused some orange peel. That was our fault not the paint's. I can buff it out after thirty days if I want but I doubt I will bother.
any more pictures of it???
Current Project 68 Gmc "Second Chance"
Go to my 68 GMC Shorty Rebuild Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...39#post6341739
mas09ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Chada

No I dont I left the camera over at my friend's house.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #19
QKENUF4U

i used rustoleum on my bed at 1am about 4 months ago.... if i had done it in the day light it would have turned out as smooth/clean as the stock paint but i couldnt see on the drivers side so it has thin spots... the side i could see on is perfect and looks/feels as good as the factory paint... i did notice it scratches easy....
back home a neighbor guys changes the colors of his cars every year with paint/rollers... they are 20/20 cars.. 20mph , 20ft away they look great..
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

[QUOTE=QKENUF4U;3549464]i did notice it scratches easy....
QUOTE]

even now?? I would think it would harden like other paints??? maybe a hardener would have helped???

Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #21
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Painting the vehicle isn't as much the issue as the preparation. Guys who paint at MAACO and other places, wouldn't be painting there if they couldn't paint. I know a guy who did all the prep work on his truck, then took it to MAACO for paint and it looks like new 10 years down the road.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #22
R.L.

The Rustoleum looks good to me. I may try it my self.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #23
AusMarty

apparently If you warm the paint up in a bucket of warm water it flows nicer
AusMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #24
rscam

Its alot of money and effert if it doesn't turn out correct. The cheap Maaco will last a long time if you keep it store it inside and keep it waxed regular. I have had a few Maaco and Sprayglo jobs that lasted a long time. I also had an Accord with the cheap Maaco and it only lasted about 3 years because the guy I sold the car to doesn't take care of it.
rscam is offline   Reply With Quote