The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
the12catlady

help with 1970 c-10 tranny please....

i have a 1970 c-10 pickup with 3 on the tree.
a few days ago while driving it the gears jammed - no big deal, used to do that all the time before i switch steering columns. pop the linkages out and all i can get it in is 2nd which got me out of the intersection and into the drive way.
but my shift linkages under the hood just flop back and forth together and i KNOW they didn't used to do that. i assumed it was the column since i'd had problems with it before and i switched it out. the column looked fine when i got it out and the new one didn't help.
then while trying to shift it through the gears, the transmission siezed up and you couldn't even shift it from the levers on the transmission. acted like it was in foreward and reverse at the same time.
jacked up the back wheels and turned them to pop it loose and shift the gear levers on the transmission,which it will do now, if your carefull, and under the truck shifting the levers on the transmission.
the long arms that go from the transmission to the top linkages are loose and have too much play at the bottom - they need a new bushing - but they have for years, and they don't look any worse now.
the transmission was just rebuilt less than 2 years ago, but i was hearing some noise from one of the bearings that the mecanic said he would replace, but was dragging his feet on.

anyone have any sugestions as to what happened and how to fix it? i'm thinking rebuild the tranny... but i don't want to do that just to find out it was something simpler. if the answer is rebuild it, can i get some hints as to how i could do it myself - or is this a job that would really require me to take it back into a shop?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Re: help with 1970 c-10 tranny please....

Check the indexing machanism on the inside of the tranny side cover first. There is an interolcok that only lets one lever move out of the neutral position at a time.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: help with 1970 c-10 tranny please....

Search the FAQ's section for coluumn shifters and follow the adjustment procedure there.Someone did a fantastic job of writing the adjustment procedure.It should help.The other thing is that most column shifted trucks have been used for 35+ years and need some routine maintainence.Cleaning the shift collar area (under the hood) and lubing it ocassionally should also help keep it shifting better.Don't expect it to ever shift like a pro-stock car but with the bushings replaced,the shift mechanism adjusted and the mechanicals cleaned and lubed it should work without hanging up so much.The problem you've described sounds like the 'pegs' on the column have gotten above or below the 'slots' where they are supposed to be to move the shift rods and levers.If you look closely into the column where the arms are (you will need a flashlight) you may be able to see what I'm trying to describe.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote