The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

First timer seeking wisdom

Im searching for the perfect first 67-72 truck. Im 26 and have always dreamed of having one and think Im past due.

Been searching for awhile for the right one. I have found one locally that I'd like the input of some veterans on.

Its a 68 Chevy C10 LWB fleetside. New professional paint job, a classic red with a subtle but attractive double pinstripe along the side (approx door handle height) The body is straight and clean. No rust that i could find and no signs of previous rust issues. No signs of bondo. One golf ball sized dent below the tailgate handle. Bed has been professionally rhino-lined. Clean, good looking job. The interior has been recently refreshed, new dash and seat cover. new carpet and door panels. Nice new aluminum wheels (similar in style to the stock rally wheels on mid-late 80's blazers, vans, and subs) with new tires. Tires are slightly oversized and knobby like those typically put on a 4x4 truck though it is a 4x2 truck. The tires make it look pretty manly. Perfect glass, all new chrome exterior parts and emblems. (grille, light bezels, door handles etc...)

On the downside it is just a plain jane stock 6 cylinder in it. Runs strong but nothing fancy at all. Would be replaced as soon as possible..

the guy is asking $4500 and I think he'll come down a little bit if I bring $20 bills in a suitcase...

EDIT:I edited the little bit that isn`t allowed w/o subscribing.

Last edited by special-K; 02-07-2009 at 08:42 AM.
JesseSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
sameyrasmea72

Re: First timer seeking wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseSimon View Post
Im searching for the perfect first 67-72 truck. ....................?
IS a 68 lwb your idea of a perfect truck. If it is , there is nothing wrong with that. I am just saying don't buy the 1st one that comes along. With the new paint and parts you mentioned, seems like a decent price. If you want to change to a v-8, figure another $2000+. For $6500 seems like you could find one ready to go. There are alot of these trucks out there, so look around and keep asking questions.

Last edited by sameyrasmea72; 02-07-2009 at 02:04 AM.
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
sflanagan

Sounds like a good deal. Just depends on what your looking to do. Do your homework and something will come your way that you cant turn down.

Does it have front discs or drums? I'm sure you can find something with a V8 in it already. Your talking some cash to convert it right, especially if your a sucker for horsepower....

If I had my choice to start over I would get a later model 71 or 72 with factory air cab (cause thats a pain to change over) front discs and all the bells and whistles plus swb fleet. Then just put a 67-68 front clip on it (because thats the style I like) and bam I have myself a sweet truck for pretty cheap and dont have to do all those extra things myself, like I had to do with my 68. Just build a stout drivetrain and paint.

Sounds like you have the fever....this is only the begining..lol

Just my .02

68 Chevy fleetside/shortbed, 350 eng., alum. heads, 10 to 1, 430 hp.
sflanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
cdowns

$4500??? and you want to change the motor right away?more power ?will you be happy with the drum brakes or will you b changing them too how about power brakes does it have power steering and if not do you want that? then theres the larger radiator for the larger motor. does it have sway bar?

if you're buying something like this withn the thoughts of jumping right in and upgrading and changing it takes very little effort to double or triple what the initial purchase price is// my feeling is get a realistic view of what you want your ideal truck to have then look and pay for a truck that has what you require. or if you're looking to build your own version look cheap($1000-$1500)
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
big_al_71

I have seen many great trucks for around 6k-8k that all you have to do is put your plates on it and drive.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

If you are looking at a LWB with a six in her and want a V-8 right away...then don't buy it. Wait look through the for sale section here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...cat.php?cat=12

There are hundreds of trucks all over that would be a better choice if you plan a engine swap.
The first one is always the best one!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

There are a lot of nice vehicles in NW Arkansas. The proximity to Tulsa may be part of the equation, but your ability to find a nice truck that doesn't have to have an engine transplant, AC install, etc., should improve as the weather warms......and as the ice melts. Sucks that you guys got all the ice in the past two weeks, right?

Anyway, there are more trucks that may appeal to you. It all depends on the economics of the potential seller. The new paint may be appealing, but it can also hide a plethora of ills. That said, it doesn't mean that the truck you found and like has been the recipient of a bunch of plastic filler, but you need to do your homework on the hidden possibilities. These trucks have have common points at which they will rust....the cowl panel lets water, dirt and leaves accumulate behind the kick panels and will rust out and leak water into the cab. Rockers are a given. The bottom ends of the door posts....where the rear edge of the front fenders bolt on. Look inside the cab at the cab corners....deep down inside the corners behind the seat. Do you see any daylight? What about the inner fender, beneath the battery? Core supports have had issues, too.

Like Sarah Palin alluded to putting lipstick on a pig......sometimes people have been known to gussy-up a pig of a truck and cause a potential buyer to go ga-ga, when he should be doing an about face. A 20-ft paint job looks good at 20-ft, but close examination reveals the bad. Some colors also do better at hiding flaws. It it is white, it may not be right. If it is black, or another dark color, flaws will be more apparent.

The rhino-lined bed may look good on top, but what about from the bottom? That stuff is thick enough that small holes (rust) will be covered.

I don't mean to dis your pick, but you asked for input. Since my truck was so appealing to me 9 years ago...and it is basically solid....I bought it w/o the objective input that someone in the know may have offered. In my case, hidden rust in the firewall is an issue...but can be corrected.

Good luck on your hunting.....and Welcome! to the board from the Heart of Arkansas.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
70cst

http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

Seeing where you live...it's not going to be fun driving that fine truck in hot weather. I agree with others...if this is the truck of your dreams go for it. I like LWB trucks but I also like V8's, ac, disc brakes, etc. If you think you will want to add these tio your truck...then keep looking. Truck prices are dropping in value and in this economy the buyer has the upper hand. As far as 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks...read the above link. Good Luck and to you new extended family.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Johnnyreb

all good advice all yall and its always good to see another southerner on here good luck with your hunting shell come around

johnnyreb
Old 02-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Seems like a good price. Maybe a little too high because after all it is a L6. If I were you I wouldn't change to V8, I'd do performance upgrades to the L6.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

Thanks for all the good advice guys...ChevLoRay the ice was horrible. I just got my power on this morning, nearly two weeks without power.

Indeed I do consider a LWB my ideal truck. I haven't settled on that truck at all, its just one that appealed to me so I thought I'd see what others thought. I feel like I can take on anything having to do with a restore or custom job except for rust issue. I have no welding experience or body work experience so thats why this truck seemed good to me. I havent had much luck finding a truck without huge rust problems.

As for the motor, I don't care if its v6 or not running. I've got a strong running medium mileage 350 and trans here in a van just waiting to transplant.

I really like the look of the 68 and hadn't thought about changing out the front clip of a 71-72 to a 68
Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #12
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

So how about just some random tidbits of wisdom from you guys...
Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
70Custom10Nut

Thumbs up Re: First timer seeking wisdom

You can buy a lot of truck for 4500 dead presidents. Question is do you want to pay for someone else' work or do you want to pick up something for less, and build it your way with the same amount of cash. My secret is doing what I can myself, and most things are not very difficult. The straight six (with a three on the tree?)tells me it's either a fleet truck or low option truck, in either case it will cost you even more to get it to where you want it. Listen to these guys, I think looked at 2 or 3 dozen trucks (all 67-72) before I settled on mine, and the main thing that clinched the deal was the overall condition and potential. Most southern trucks are generally rust free (rocker panels don't count because they're rusted no matter where you're at). Just like buying a new car, take an impartial friend along to keep the stars out of your eyes. Welcome to the club and good luck. Cnut
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
70Custom10Nut

Thumbs up Re: First timer seeking wisdom

You can buy a lot of truck for 4500 dead presidents. Question is do you want to pay for someone else' work or do you want to pick up something for less, and build it your way with the same amount of cash. My secret is doing what I can myself, and most things are not very difficult. The straight six (with a three on the tree?)tells me it's either a fleet truck or low option truck, in either case it will cost you even more to get it to where you want it. Listen to these guys, I think looked at 2 or 3 dozen trucks (all 67-72) before I settled on mine, and the main thing that clinched the deal was the overall condition and potential. Most southern trucks are generally rust free (rocker panels don't count because they're rusted no matter where you're at). Just like buying a new car, take an impartial friend along to keep the stars out of your eyes. Welcome to the club and good luck. Cnut
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My advice is pretty much the same as above.Also don't be afraid to ask a member local to you to help you check one out.Most will go just to look at a truck.Many have dealt with these trucks quite a bit and may help you find potential problems that you haven't encountered.There are a lot of different topics in the FAQ's page here and they may help you have some insight into what you are looking at with changing different things.Good luck in your search.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

Any good resources for trucks for sale?

I hit all the craigslists within 6 hours but does anyone know other good spots to find trucks?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
longhorn_SD69

I would say for your dream truck it dpends on what you want. If you want a truck to buy and put minimul work into then go with that one especially if you like it. but if you want to have more of a connection to your vehicle get one that doesn't look the best and is running and put what you want into it and do what you want with it rather than driving around someone elses creation. part of having a calssic vehicle is that it is what you dream of. have fun with what ever you come up with!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
Rafael505

Or you could buy something like this ,, a friend of mine wants to sell this 63 truck to me for $600, I plan on getting it but it will be sometime till I start working on it,, I need to finish my 67 c10

63 chevy c-10
67 chevy c-10
71 chevy Blazer 4x4
Rafael505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

Did I mention Im not real confident with my body repair abilities haha
Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
mvfd70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseSimon View Post
On the downside it is just a plain jane stock 6 cylinder in it. Runs strong but nothing fancy at all. Would be replaced as soon as possible..
With no pics or not seeing it in person it's kinda hard to tell. But I will say that there is not a thing wrong with a "plain jane 6 cylinder" truck. The I6 motors from back then are strong running, long lasting motors. No they're not real quick and won't turn high RPM's but they sound great and if you put a fresh coat of Chevy orange and just the right amount of chrome bling they will turn some heads when people walk by.

They seem to be making a bit of a comeback from what I hear on this board but they are a pretty rare breed at the car shows I see in my neck of the woods. When I tell people that I'm rebuilding the 6 to put in my truck they perk up and listen.

Last edited by mvfd70; 02-07-2009 at 10:50 PM.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #21
wHATANERD

If this is the truck you want go for it, but I would be careful and make sure it's not an impulse buy. You will be much happier if you wait and buy the truck you really want.

Old Chevy's Never Die, They Just Rust Around The Edges
wHATANERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

I suggest you keep looking just to gain a better feel for what your money can get you.Once you start looking they`re everywhere.Craiglist is a great place.You may not just open one up and find one like a catalog.But,you`ll learn,in the process,the kind of money to expect to pay for what.The right one will find you soon enough.Check our for sale section,your local paper/classified circulars,hear-say,along the road,Barrett-Jackson...

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

What can you guys tell me about "double hump" heads? Im looking at another truck, the guy keeps talking about these heads...are they special?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #24
70Custom10Nut

OK, now you're making me think. These double hump heads this guy talks about are a factory high performance head with 2.02 intake and 1.80 exhaust valves. The way to tell if they are for real is the casting pattern (it looks sort of like a two hump camel, hence the name) on the end of the head, but the way to tell for sure is the casting number (last three #s are 461)in the center of the head under the valve covers. I have a book with all this info in it, but I just moved an don't know where it is. Go to the Automotive section of a good book store to get the book. If they are in fact double humpers they came from one of the high performance cars (I.E. vette, chevelle, or camaro) Depending on the year, the size of the valves and combustion chambers will vary. I guess the bottom line is that the truth is in the casting #s. Many different after market places make the equivalent, so don't let him fluff the price of the truck just for the heads on the engine. Incidentally you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders by the questions you ask. You're going to end up with a good truck when you find yours. Cnut
Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #25
JesseSimon
Asks alot of questions

This guy is only asking 1800 for this truck. 68 c10 lwb. He says its rust free and only lacks a paint job. Looks like a real solid truck. Unfortunately its 8 hours from me so all i have are pictures to look at. Im kinda skeptical of it since he's had it for sale for several months....

I had no idea what double hump heads were though.....