The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
2badgn

Do snow chains help?

I have a 2wd 1984 GMC 1 ton Pickup that is really not that good in the snow.
My front wheel drive 2007 Monte Carlo SS with winter sport tires is great.

Thinking of buying snow chains for next winter. Anybody have any experience with these and which ones should i buy for single rear wheels?

I have Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires on this truck.
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Re: Do snow chains help?

Yes they help. But I like the cable type better than chains. Just be careful to make sure you have them on well, otherwise they can...and will...damage your wheels and nice paint.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

unless you plan to drive less than 25 mph STAY AWAY FROM THEM.......trust me I love chains but not for any type of normal driving....if you plow and need them fine but STAY AWAY other wize your better off to run a GOOD set of tires like hakapalitas or some thing

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Drzronnie

Chains are only good if you get stuck. Other than that they are kind of a pain. We keep them in our trucks at work and I refuse to use them. Good snow tires work well. I have 4 snows on my mercedes and it is beast, it willl drive in snow up to the bumpers.
Drzronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Slofarmtruck

How wide are your bridgestone duelers? Do you have any extra weight over the rear tires? For winter a good set of tall skinny snow tires works wonders. Look into a set of Firestone Winterforce's for a cheaper quality snow tire. I ran them on the rear of my 84 C10 with 400 lbs of sand bags in the bed with no issues.
Slofarmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
2badgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slofarmtruck View Post
How wide are your bridgestone duelers? Do you have any extra weight over the rear tires? For winter a good set of tall skinny snow tires works wonders. Look into a set of Firestone Winterforce's for a cheaper quality snow tire. I ran them on the rear of my 84 C10 with 400 lbs of sand bags in the bed with no issues.
What size did u run. My Bridgestones r 235/85/16.

Can i just run 2 snow tires in the rear? What size would u suggest. Where can i find steel rims?
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
Slofarmtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2badgn View Post
What size did u run. My Bridgestones r 235/85/16.

Can i just run 2 snow tires in the rear? What size would u suggest. Where can i find steel rims?
I honestly cant remember the size of the tire I ran. I do know that the rims I used were stock from a Chevy Astro Mini Van, and they came with the tires mounted so I would assume they were stock for the van. This would mean they were either 195/75-15 or 205/75-15. I only ran the winter tires on the rear and did have a few minor issues with the front end wanting to push through some corners, but I also had a large caddy motor in the front which provided a little extra weight. I ran 4 of the winterforce tires on my 92 Buick Roadmaster station wagon this year and no matter how much slush/snow we got I had zero issues driving anywhere. I actually went back home with my AWD G35 with all season tires to drive the wagon instead since the G was sliding everywhere. I had paid $300.00 installed for all 4 new 225/75-15 winterforce tires for the wagon. So I would assume that size would also work perfect for you. Sorry for the long read. I kow you guys are getting pounded again with snow right now. I am suppose to be flying in to LaGuardia saturday morning to pick up a car with a friend and drive it back to Wisconsin. We are hoping for no delays in our flight!

Last edited by Slofarmtruck; 02-25-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
kenm78
Broken Down

Snow chains are good on packed Ice/snow. But if the plow comes through and there is hardtop your trip will be super slow 15-20 MPH and if feels like your bouncing around all over. I like chains I put them on my FWD Malibu when it gets really bad and I bungy cord the outside of the chains so it takes any slack out.

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
kenm78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

go get a couple of 2X8s and cut them the width of the bed then use the scraps to make a box so that it makes a rectangle around the wheel wells fill that up with sand bags and youll have all the traction you need

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

You guys have made a very good point. A good set of tires and some weight will take you a long way. I have family that run Blizzak tires in the winter. My uncle drives his Porsche 944 year round commuting from Cheyenne, WY to Ft. Collins, CO. The only issue he has is if the road is closed or the snow is just too deep.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Slofarmtruck

Blizzaks are great winter tires as well. I would also recommend some Nokina Hakkapelitta as they handle snow great! The firestone Winterforce tires are just the best priced. They do make more road noise, but being in a truck you most likely won't notice the noise.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Here they (tire sellers)will only put new tires on the rear of a front wheel drive,so the arse don't swing around on you in a corner.but i would for sure say tall snows on the rear is good, anything to get traction,for weight don't use like a solid heavy weight,use bags of sand or gravel,great to have when you are stuck but remember that weight is comin at you,from behind@ however fast you were going,sand or gravel in a bag may split on impact,lead weights ie dumbells,or other solid mass is gona hurt something or someone
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote