The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
justagoodolboy
Under Construction

My Wheels Need Help!

Here are a couple shots of my truck so ya'll can see the ugly rusted wheels that are on it. I'd like to buy aluminum wheels for it but that's not an option right now so how can I make these look better? All ideas are welcome and much appreciated. Along with your ideas, there are 2 things i'm wondering.

1. Is there a good way to repaint my wheels without sandblasting them?

2. Would the stainless trim rings from LMC fit my wheels? I mean are they pretty universal or are they only for a certain type of wheel?
Name:  DSCN9994.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  DSCN9995.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  DSCN9996.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  50.8 KB
03 Saab 9-3 -tripper
90 Polaris Trail Boss- 2 Stroker
justagoodolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: My Wheels Need Help!

Break 'em down, get 'em soda or sand blasted, then paint them. Add some trim rings to them and maybe some center caps.

You asked....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
wilbilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy View Post

1. Is there a good way to repaint my wheels without sandblasting them?
Sure. Pull them off and wetsand with 180 followed by 220. Let the air out and break down the front bead, mask off the tire and hit them with gray or silver from a rattle can, buy 4 chrome center caps and 24 chrome acorn lug nuts.

It will look like a new truck. Seriously.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
justagoodolboy
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbilt View Post
Sure. Pull them off and wetsand with 180 followed by 220. Let the air out and break down the front bead, mask off the tire and hit them with gray or silver from a rattle can, buy 4 chrome center caps and 24 chrome acorn lug nuts.

It will look like a new truck. Seriously.

How well does rattle can paint hold up? Is there a brand that's known to be better?
03 Saab 9-3 -tripper
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
FLEET72

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy View Post
How well does rattle can paint hold up? Is there a brand that's known to be better?
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=375

http://www.vhtpaint.com/wheelpaint.html

http://duplicolor.com/products/wheelCoating/

I've used rustoleum industrial flat black on my wagon wheels and it seems to hold up pretty well.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Don't those old style white wagon wheels go for around 50 bucks apiece brand new?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
dbstepside

i agree with wilbilt but i would do something different in the center, either black or something close to body color and that way you wouldn't need trim rings with silver or gray around the outer lip. also paint the drum and calipers if so equipped and to save some money just paint those lugnuts with the silver and find some decent looking caps.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Like mentioned above,clean/sand them well.The rattle can paint will last well if you prep well.Mine have been done for a couple of years and still look good.I cleaned them with degreaser(at the car wash,high pressure with good degreaser)Then sanded with 180/220 and did the tight areas with scotchbrite/steel wool.I then degreased them again though I could have cleaned them with laquer thinner.Make sure you follow temp/humidity directions on the paint.I did Ralleys with trim rings.I don't care for the huge center caps and am running 6 lugs with stock lug nets.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

You can take a flat strip of sheet metal and wrap it around the outside of the bead to mask off the tires. I think Tractor Supply paint holds up really well.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
justagoodolboy
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEET72 View Post
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=375

http://www.vhtpaint.com/wheelpaint.html

http://duplicolor.com/products/wheelCoating/

I've used rustoleum industrial flat black on my wagon wheels and it seems to hold up pretty well.
Thanks for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Don't those old style white wagon wheels go for around 50 bucks apiece brand new?

Gary
Haven't checked but that's half of what I can buy aluminum wheels for and with my wedding in 6 weeks I'm wanting to hang onto all the money I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbstepside View Post
i agree with wilbilt but i would do something different in the center, either black or something close to body color and that way you wouldn't need trim rings with silver or gray around the outer lip. also paint the drum and calipers if so equipped and to save some money just paint those lugnuts with the silver and find some decent looking caps.
Good idea on the 2 paint colors.I had thought about body color with trim rings so this gives me another idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Like mentioned above,clean/sand them well.The rattle can paint will last well if you prep well.Mine have been done for a couple of years and still look good.I cleaned them with degreaser(at the car wash,high pressure with good degreaser)Then sanded with 180/220 and did the tight areas with scotchbrite/steel wool.I then degreased them again though I could have cleaned them with laquer thinner.Make sure you follow temp/humidity directions on the paint.I did Ralleys with trim rings.I don't care for the huge center caps and am running 6 lugs with stock lug nets.
Thanks for the prep work info.Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You can take a flat strip of sheet metal and wrap it around the outside of the bead to mask off the tires. I think Tractor Supply paint holds up really well.

Good idea Special-K. And big thank you to all the ideas given.
03 Saab 9-3 -tripper
Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Micks72

Blast and paint
Posted via Mobile Device
Micks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
truckster

I just blasted and painted a set of rally wheels a couple of months ago. I didn't worry about breaking the bead, because I have trim rings to cover the edges, so I just masked and made sure I didn't get overspray on the tire.

I learned a couple of things: 1. The silica I used left the surface of the metal rough. Even with a couple of coats of paint, it's not as smooth as I'd like. When I do it again (I have another set that will eventually go on the Blazer) I'll use soda.

2. Rustoleum seems to go on well, and I didn't have any problem with runs in the paint. I had to be careful to get the paint into the areas between the rim and the face of the rim, where there's a small gap. So far the Rustoleum has held up well.

I had a set of white wagon wheels similar to yours, but 15X10, and when I priced a spare at a couple of places they wanted almost $200 for just the wheel.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
matthones

Soda blast and then get 'em powder coated, should last a long time that way.
matthones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Get some rallys slots of steelies THEN work on em..sorry not a fan of wagon wheels lol

Depends how much time effort and $ ya wanna put in em, probably look great to just scuff up prime and paint them or you can have em powdercoated/or blast then paint etc etc

nice truck too man

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #15
Dynomutt

Wire brush the loose paint off, 180/220 to smooth the hard edges and scuff, tape, prime and paint. Cost you $25 or so and a few hours of your time. I'd do the wheels, drums, rotors and calipers if you have them. It'll look like a different truck. I'd do the brake parts in black (any) and probably do the wheels in a silver or charcoal or something that hides some dust/dirt. White stains to easy IMO. I also like less of a contrast between truck and wheel. JMOT.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
justagoodolboy
Under Construction

Thanks guys for all your ideas. Has anyone used Plasti-Kote Wheel Paint? Stopped by the local auto parts tonight and that's the kind they carry. The guy there told me to use primer under the paint. I've got part of a rattle can of self etching primer left and i'll use that if it's ok. Anyway , here's a link to the paint www.plastikote.com/products/Specialty/Wheel-Paint.html

I'm thinkin either the steel or the silver is about the color I want, but before I buy the stuff I'd like to know if anyone here has used Plasti-kote? I like the thought of buying it local so I can run in and get more paint if I run out.
03 Saab 9-3 -tripper

Last edited by justagoodolboy; 08-22-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
DesertCat

Put off the marriage for 6 months so you can afford the wheels you want. She won't mind, really.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
justagoodolboy
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCat View Post
Put off the marriage for 6 months so you can afford the wheels you want. She won't mind, really.
That's 1 idea I won't consider. It's not that I'm flat broke-it's just that I don't want to be so that's why I'm trying to do my wheels on the cheap. Your comment took me totally off guard. Very funny.
03 Saab 9-3 -tripper
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Soda blast only strips paint. It doesn't blast the rust away. I wire wheeled the stock steel wheels on my '92. The silver was coming off on it's own. It took no time at all to have my wheels down to bare metal. Sand blasting is best,when you can,but wire wheels does the trick. If you want a smoother surface after sand blasting you just sand the metal. But,sand blasting leaves a surface that grips new paint like nobody's business. Just put a lot of paint on. Etching primer fills a lot of that.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #20
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If you have a lot of trucking industry in your area, you may be amazed at how cheap you can get them blasted. I can get them blasted with a sandblasting attachment on a pressure washer through work for about 10 a wheel. Granted, that is a discounted price, but I think it is pretty cheap even at full price. (I think they run 15 each?)
The better you prep, the better they'll come out.
I understand broke though... if you can't get the rust off all the way, then don't bother with the plasticote or any other special higher dollar products. Just get some rustolium and shoot over the wheel after sanding them. You can clean for free, so grab some degreaser out of the shed and a scrub brush and go to town. When you think it's clean, do it 2 more times.
I would recomend a silver, or a dark silver probably. Like rally wheels or a tic darker.
Don't buy new trim rings. They are made cheap, and still cost more than they should be. Go to the junk yard and look at all the chevy astro mini vans, and all the 88 - 98 chevy trucks. Look at the center caps on all those wheels too. You'll end up buying some kinda expensive lug nuts to mount them properly, but the end result will surprise you big time.
I like the van centers...

Or maybe some of the later model truck centers;

By the time you get done, you may be amazed at how much you have into them. You could go another direction all together... $75 for a salt flats look;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-FU...item35b2986380
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
justagoodolboy
Under Construction

Thanks a lot , Longhorn Man! I never once thought about hub caps. Trying to decide if I like them... What do the rest of you say? Would they look good on my truck?
03 Saab 9-3 -tripper
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #22
scrapmetalart

wire wheel on a 4" grinder works good. good spray can primer & paint will last years if you keep them clean
Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

after looking back up at the truck pics, I somehow missed you had a 4X4... moon discs would look funny at best.
My bad.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #24
justagoodolboy
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
after looking back up at the truck pics, I somehow missed you had a 4X4... moon discs would look funny at best.
My bad.
I quick jumped on here at work and was in a hurry when I replied to yur previous post. You're right, and it would be a pain to lock in my hubs

I've got a lot of ideas from all you nice folks on this board and I'm still sorting through em trying to decide what to do. I'm leaning toward cleaning with wire wheel/ sandpaper/ degreaser and painting them with rattle can gray or dark silver. I'm wondering , if I go that route, do I need clear coat? I don't think I do but just wanna be sure.

Again, a big thank you to all the ideas given. Now I just need to find time!
03 Saab 9-3 -tripper
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #25
71swb4x4

For all the work you are putting into the old wagon wheels I would go to the junk yard and get a set of the 73-87 4wd ralley wheels. By a complete set with trim rings and center caps and you have killed all the birds with one stone. Then sell the wagon wheels on craigslist.