The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2002, 08:32 AM   #1
RodC

Carb kit problems

Just cleaned out the old Quadrajet and installed a carb kit. The kit was made by GP SORENSEN.

I got one problem. The top gasket between the top portion of the carb and the float bowl is about 1/3 the thickness of the one that is on there now. And guess what it leaks like a sive (or however you spell it) And yes it is the right kit and the right gasket.

The carb I got looks like it was rebuilt in 99. Was a thicker gasket put on then because of a warp?! Or does this kit just suck?
Old 09-05-2002, 10:54 AM   #2
6869704X4

Sometimes if the front bolts are tightened too tight the top can get warped. Look straight at the front of the carb and see if front corners look bent down.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #3
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Quote:
Originally posted by 6869704X4
Sometimes if the front bolts are tightened too tight the top can get warped. Look straight at the front of the carb and see if front corners look bent down.
This is a problem with the Q-Jet ,I suspect they used the thicker gasket to solve the problem.

Good luck Bill
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

You can buy just the gasket here.

http://www.carbs.net/Quads/r4topgasket.asp
Old 09-05-2002, 08:50 PM   #5
RodC

I think someting is warped and they saw it on the rebuild. I think the thicker gasket was to "fix it" The float was also set very low 1/2" +

Also there was a spare brass part under one of the jets. It looked like a part from another carb that was smashed up! Or one of the small brass inserts that is on top with the small hole in it. These guys were real pros!

The carb runs great now, if I could only get rid of the leak.

I looked at a couple other carbs around and 2 other kits, they all had pretty thin gaskets. I also had some layn around from a rebuild around 84? Love them old gaskets never know when they will drop the big one and we will all have to live like Mad Max!

I can't find a source for thicker gaskets.

I may try the old gasket + the thin new one on top of the bowl. The old one is only messed up around one of the large bolt holes.