The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
ericg2000

What to Buy

i've been looking for ac10 for a while now. but i'm undecided on what to buy. i like the slammed air bagged trucks, but static drop is ok too. should i buy one already bagged, but may not be exactly what i want (color, conditions, etc), or buy what i want then customize it as i see fit.

what did or would you do?
ericg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
67 chevelle

Re: What to Buy

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...cat.php?cat=12
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
bs46488

A little more info would help out.

Do you have the ability to do the work yourself or would you pay a shop?

If I was to do it over again, I would buy a vehicle that doesn't need paint/body work and do the modifications to it that I want.
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
FRCvette

I would buy a vehicle that doesn't need paint/body work and do the modifications to it that I want.

This is what I did. In process of lowering my truck now and adding radio and then just drive.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
ericg2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
I would buy a vehicle that doesn't need paint/body work and do the modifications to it that I want.

This is what I did. In process of lowering my truck now and adding radio and then just drive.

this is most likely what i'll do.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
TwoFiftyShifter

Start out with as close to stock as you can. Drive it awhile before you do anything major.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
ericg2000

I can do some stuff. But I can't weld.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
demian5

Depends where you want to start?
  • Do you know how to work on vehicles to a level that you don't need instruction?
  • Can you do body and paint?
  • Have you ever driven a stick shift?
  • Do you really understand what "cold" means on a freezing morning on the way to work and can you drive with fogged up windows for 10 minutes?
  • Have you ever pushed an old truck that stalled at a light, through an intersection (by yourself)?

My plan would buy as stock of a vehicle as I could get with the options and drive train I wanted and would be happy with on a daily basis (V8? Disc Brakes? AC? Chevy/GMC?)
But on the flip side, I'd also buy a roller for cheap and find a driver tain to install.

Most of all, I'd be looking for something as unabused as possible.
If you can't fix rust, repair the body, or afford to have someone else do it, then spend the extra time and $$ looking for a fairly rust free truck.
Stock suspension is always a winner, then you know whats been done (or not been done) to it. Lowered trucks are a can of worms unless you know the owner and the shop/person who put the parts in. Cut or heated up springs mean you WILL need to replace them later (along with the ball joints and bushings that should have been done too).
You know your abilities and how deep your pocket is.
If it "ran when parked" and sat for 10 years and you need a daily driver you can fix up? Well you may want to move on or ask the guy to get it running (but remember, AT seals get hard too after sitting that long - if all the fluid didn't leak out already).

Enjoy the chase for your truck...

... and take someone with you that knows these vehicles will critique the crap out of it and give you every reason NOT to buy it. Because when that person sees a good truck, you will know it and be pleased.

It's a very simple machine made out of nuts and bolts. There are parts all over the place, and the forum will show you how to do anything you want to your truck.

Let us know what you get
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #9
66clow

Your budget will tell you what to do. What is it?
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #10
ericg2000

i have a 90 jeep wrangler, so i'm not new to working on stuff (ac, suspension etc).

i don't want a "show truck" that's rarely or never driven. i want something i can drive and if it gets a chip in the paint i won't lose sleep over. i've seen a few on my craigslist that are ok, but they don't jump out at me. whatever i get i want to lower as low as i can, i'm undecided on air bags. that's not important any time soon. i want a decent interior and ac (factory or aftermarket). by decent, i know it's old but nothing rotten or springs popping out of the seat. i'm not a hot rod racer, so i won't be doing a bunch of engine mods. i want a weekend cruiser that me and wife can go ride around in. or drive down to galveston for the weekend.

i'd like to find a truck as close to stock as possible. even if it was already lowered, i would want to either lower it more, or replace what someone cut or heated if that's what they did. my budget is $12k or so. that is leaving me room to buy fix what needs to be fixed up front. i'm sure some one is going to laugh at my budget, but it is what it is. and this isn't getting a loan, it's i can go to the bank and pull it money. not to mention my wife comes from a family that have old cars so it's not new to her. she's actually helping me look. i found one and i put a link over on the CL find thread, but i haven't noticed anyone comment on it. i might add a link here later. it's not perfect, it has some blimishes i'd need to investigate further before making an offer, but for some reason i really like the truck.