The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
daytonagp4

Airbrushing

I put this in the midwest section but only got 4 hits lol. I'm looking for an airbrusher in NE Indiana or NW Ohio. I have a lot of work that needs done. I talked to some shops but they are WAY to overpriced. Let me know.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Airbrushing

It's hard to put a price on art. How do you establish the difference between way too overpriced and way more than you want to spend? Wouldn't you need a cheaper place to compare the price to establish it's over priced? Just go to that one.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
daytonagp4

I judge overpricing by what i've had done in the past. I had a guy do a lot of work for me and his pricing was resonable. He moved out to Cali, and i lost him ;(. These guys that i called want WAY to much. I might just end up waiting or trying to find someone who wants free advertising lol. Anyway, posting this in GD thanks guys.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagp4 View Post
I might just end up waiting or trying to find someone who wants free advertising lol.
That is a pretty disrespectful comment to make! And that's the quality of work you will get! People who need free advertising aren't that good, and guys that are good DON'T need free advertising! There work will speak for itself.What exactly is the work you need done, have had done in the past and what did you pay for it then and what do YOU consider reasonable? The guy you had in the past was willing to work for less than what it was worth and spoiled you.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 02-11-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

ask them what they charge per hour ?

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
simpson1972

I know a guy in fort wayne that does really good work and has reasonable prices. he used to paint all the custom bikes for one shop in the fort and worked at the airbrush shop in the old south town mall. if you are in trested i can get you his contact info
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
biggmike

Just remember sometimes the price you pay isnt always the part you want to worry about. When you look for an artist its best to look at the work your going to get not how much your going to pay. I deal with this everyday. Somebody comes to me for custom paint and airbrush and they don't want to pay what its really worth. When they go to buy that amplifier or those set of wheels they pay what the price tag says. Problem is most have spent all there money on the chrome and sound and wheels and then want the cheapest paint job they can get. Well lets re-think that, they want that $12,000.00 paint job but only have $1200.00 to spend. To top it off they wait till the last weekend before the show then they bring it to you and want it done in time to make it to the show for the same price. I am sorry but the most important part of your vehicle besides it having to run really good is the paint. I am not being partial either because I am a painter. A truck with a *****ing paint job will always turn a head faster than a good set of tires and wheels. Stop worrying about how much the art is going to cost if you don't care what the rest of the vehicle cost.

Mike

Last edited by Liz; 02-10-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: edited advertising
Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
vintagesteel

Hey Liz, why has the posts from the paint and body side been removed from this thread? And why has the post that I wrote lastnite asking about this been removed? I'm not sure WHY this thread was removed from the paint and body section. It has WAY more relavence over there than it does HERE.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesteel View Post
Hey Liz, why has the posts from the paint and body side been removed from this thread? And why has the post that I wrote lastnite asking about this been removed? I'm not sure WHY this thread was removed from the paint and body section. It has WAY more relavence over there than it does HERE.
Next time please PM one of us to ask. If I had not opened this thread to view the new replies, I would never had seen your question.

I did not move nor edit this post, so I really can not answer that offhand. I do know that the OP requested the post to be moved. You can PM powerdriver 1958 with any further questions on the post or its moderation.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
daytonagp4

you guys make a very good point about the quality, I am in contact with the owner of the airbrush shoppe. Turns out my cousin is good friends with him but i would expect to pay 1000 to 1200 for my paint i will post up a rough drawing of what i want. If he can't get it done with the price that i can afford guess ill tone it down a bit. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagp4 View Post
you guys make a very good point about the quality, I am in contact with the owner of the airbrush shoppe. Turns out my cousin is good friends with him but i would expect to pay 1000 to 1200 for my paint i will post up a rough drawing of what i want. If he can't get it done with the price that i can afford guess ill tone it down a bit. Thanks for all the help!!!!
You can't get a motorcycle tank airbrushed like that for $1200. If you get him to do it for that, he's doing you a HUGE favor!! Just looked at pics again. Is it BOTH side of the bed? If it is, Then I would say he could do it for that.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 02-11-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
biggmike

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard, "If you print this for me I promise you will get more work you can handle." I wouldn't need to do this for a living. Like they said above they need free advertising they probably don't know what they need to know to do the job right much less do it to the level that's expected. I have spent 35 years practicing. Like Mike Lavallie says, "If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

Mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
daytonagp4

I agree, with the more work than you can handle. That has happend to me and i've got the shaft. I think im just going to forget the whole thing. I can't afford it, uless he wants my snap-on box lol. It's going to take me 5 years to save up enough money for the work and by then my son will probably have destroyed the paint. thanks for all the feedback.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
vintagesteel

What's the price you are being quoted for this?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
daytonagp4

Quote:
What exactly is the work you need done, have had done in the past and what did you pay for it then and what do YOU consider reasonable? The guy you had in the past was willing to work for less than what it was worth and spoiled you.
The work i had done in the past was a kid just starting out, he was really good he was just getting started. I have 2 valve covers, 2 engine wishbone mounts, amp, and some other small interior parts. All done in true flames with some writing....i got it all for 150 and he told me just make sure you tell people who did it. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful....guess i was spoiled.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
daytonagp4

I called a guy that's in town here, he's got a little place in da hood. He does basketballs,hats and murals. I know his work isn't The best, but i would settle for that. I dicribed to him what was being done and he told me roughly 3500 to 4000. That's more than what i have in bodywork/paint in the whole truck. anyway I'm not going to get what i want for the price that i want and i am going to let the thread die. I realize that im wanting a lot for nothing. Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
vintagesteel

See,if you would have posted this in your FIRST post, then I'm pretty sure we would have agreed with you that his price was WAY to high, since you said his work wasn't that great. I think if you really want it done,you will need to go find some one else who does it and talk to them. Talk to motorcycle guys (crotch rockets AND Harley guys), go talk to a bodyshop because more than likely one of the guys there might know someone who does it.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 02-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
biggmike

Everyone has an opinion of how much something should cost. Do you tell your Dr oh that's to much to remove that from my face. You know we spend as Mich time, effort and money to get as good as we are. But everyone wants that killer paint job but its always to much money. Always wanting something for nothing. That price is about what it should be$3500 $4000. I look at it this way if you can't afford it you don't need it. I mean they will go spend $10,000 on a lift kit tires and wheels but never want to spend more than $50 for the $10,000 paint job.

Mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
timjt

Ok, so he was a little spoiled. Yall sure lashed that nonsense out of him right away! Give a guy a break. I'm glad there are people in our great country that are willing to pay you over 10,000 for a paint job, but there are some of us that don't live in beverly hills. We have two $800 cars which are about to die and a 85 truck that has taken every spare cent for the last year and still doesn't run. All it needs is a transmission seal that doesnt leak and about $100 of primer since i've got it stripped down to metal since it was about to rust beyond redemption. but we cant afford it right now, and I am ALWAYS looking for something for nothing. Sure, I would love to have a truck with 50,000 in it but its not practical.
Sorry, got too carried away. Just don't jump on a guy when he doesn't have gold plated standards, he may have the desire but not the income and theres nothing wrong with asking!

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Shane
Account Suspended

... good lord
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The usefulness of this thread is done. Any comments beyond this will only end up with someone receiving infractions. CLOSED.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Closed Thread