The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
yellowGT

soon to bag dually crew cab

I am wanting to bag my truck but Ive new to bags. What would be a good price to pay? I found 8 3/8 smc valves @ $200 and 4 airlift bags(2500 and 2600) @ $200. Is that fair? What about quality? Ive done some research but with cont. airlift, slams, etc all out there it all seems the same after a while. I might run nitro tank but not all sure yet. Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions I will gladly reconsider

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
'89 chevy crew cab dually 3+3
yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
kieth

Re: soon to bag dually crew cab

I have had pretty good luck with airbagit.com but lots of folks here sure bash them.........I got 4 bags for a 66 for $160.00 the parts for the front were 129.00 and same for the rear. The real expense comes with the control systems, I just used schrader valves(tire valves) I can add as I want or need to later for other things that control ride height.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowGT View Post
I am wanting to bag my truck but Ive new to bags. What would be a good price to pay? I found 8 3/8 smc valves @ $200 and 4 airlift bags(2500 and 2600) @ $200. Is that fair? What about quality? Ive done some research but with cont. airlift, slams, etc all out there it all seems the same after a while. I might run nitro tank but not all sure yet. Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions I will gladly reconsider
Check w/the board vendors here. AVS & ScottsHotRods were both running some basic air system specials that will save you coin while have better quality & customer service vs. AIM/Chassis Tech (or what ever other name they're going by).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
D.FENS

Steer clear of AIM / Chassistech / airbagit.com. I had a bad experience with them guys before air ride even came into the picture (early 90's), haven't bought anything from them since and wouldn't miss them if they shut the doors tomorrow.

As SCOTI posted, AVS and Scott's Hot Rods offer a good selection of parts and complete entry - and mid-level system packages. They are also forum members and support the site so there you go.

Last time I checked out Scott's website they didn't have much in the way of on-line ordering so I guess you gotta call, email, or PM to buy. They may be doing that on purpose to make sure you get what you need the first damn time, which is nice. Both Scott's and AVS offer very good customer service and product support.

***************** offers a lot of the same products as other vendors, comparable prices, and they do have a couple semi-unique items like 4-link kits that feature super-pivot ends for the bars. SSD's customer service and website seems to be geared towards people who already know what they need. Which ain't a problem if you really do already know what you need.

Check craigslist too, I was able to score a semi-complete RideTech system for short money from a local kid parting an S10 project.
D.FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
yellowGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Check w/the board vendors here. AVS & ScottsHotRods were both running some basic air system specials that will save you coin while have better quality & customer service vs. AIM/Chassis Tech (or what ever other name they're going by).

are you going to be bagging your 89 scoti?

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

If it were me I'd call nathan @ porterbuilt. I gave him a $ amount I could spend when ordering stuff for my blazer and he took care of everything. If I decide to bag my dually I'm going to call him again

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
are you going to be bagging your 89 scoti?
At some point, yes. I might just do like my 68 was done (front/static; rear bagged). I've been 'on the fence' about getting Ride Techs rear HD AirBar set-up. Quick bolt-on install, HD, & high quality.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
yellowGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
At some point, yes. I might just do like my 68 was done (front/static; rear bagged). I've been 'on the fence' about getting Ride Techs rear HD AirBar set-up. Quick bolt-on install, HD, & high quality.
That is sweet and easy but my pockets will not allow that plus if im running 22's the bag placement will have to be further back, wouldnt it?

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
That is sweet and easy but my pockets will not allow that plus if im running 22's the bag placement will have to be further back, wouldnt it?
I did mention being 'on the fence' . It took me from a Thursday night (after work) until Sunday night (finishing up in the dark) to install the pre-made, bolt-in, Western Chassis c-sections & driveway made AOL set-up on my 74 because of my work schedule (& Mother Natures schedule). My original plan for the dually was similar: flip kit w/some leafs removed, c-sections, & driveway built AOL. But the more I drive it, the more I dis-like the rear leaf set-up (I didn't like them in my 74 either). My 68's truck arm/bag set-up was MUCH better as far as ride quality (comfort & control).

The HD AirBar kit is more coin than I would like to spend (much more for the record...) but it would get rid of the leaf set-up making it similar to the truck arm ride quality. Purchasing that kit keeps the work to a bolt-in swap (one afternoon) vs. a much more involved process w/multiple down days (I can squeeze multiple hours to work on stuff but rarely get multiple days).

I'm not sure why the HD Airbar kit wouldn't work w/22's unless your trying to lay the frame on the ground or running the narrower C&C rear housing?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

yellowGT I suggest you spend some time in our Suspension forum doing research to determine what your needs are. I would also check the forums "Vendor Marketplace" and the Suspension forum for some really great deals. All of our forum vendors are rolling out the deals right now.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote