The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
o6r1man

Truck not turning No click nothing

My 70 swb wont turn over with the key, no click just dimming lights. The battery is fine cause I can jump across the solenoid and it will crank and start. I pulled the plug on the neutral safety switch and looped a wire from one side to the other and still not start. I pulled the plug off the back of the ignition switch and played around with trying to hot wire it with no luck. I have not pulled the starter and seen if there was any power going to the small wire with the switch on start position. Before I do that I was hoping someone could tell me for sure which wires I need to contact on the ignition switch plug to make it send power to the small wire on the starter, to make sure its not bad. Big red wire is power source, so do I need to jump over the purple wire or do I have to contact multiple wires?

Thanks for any help!! Start is a pain to get off cause its cast nose so its heavy and trans lines and headers don help any.
2012 Denali HD dmax
o6r1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Truck not turning No click nothing

clean your ground wires for bright metal to metal contact// from engine to frame to the neg terminal on battery
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Evaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
clean your ground wires for bright metal to metal contact// from engine to frame to the neg terminal on battery
^This^
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Do you have power to all the things that are keyed on hot I.E. wipers, radio, turn signals,
heater or AC etc.
If so then the key switch power wire (large red) has power and the key switch is good. The purple starter wire and the pink ignition wire have to be jumped to get the engine to start and run, however the purple wire must be disconnected when the engine starts for obvious reasons. The key switch might be bad for the starting circuit, Large red to purple, but could be ok for everything else. Checking for 12 volts on the key switch and the purple wire when the key is turned to start would show this, as would checking for 12 volts on the purple wire at the solenoid.

Jumping the neutral start switch is a good check for the switch but unless you know you have power on the key side of the purple wire, it won't tell you much.

If you know you have power on the large wire to the key switch and all the other stuff in the cab works Then the purple wire is the problem. it starts at the key switch and breaks at two places, the NSS and the firewall connector. You have already jumped the NSS so the firewall connector is the next suspect. There is also the possibility that the purple wire is cut or burned in two, at some point.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
domeier

Since the lights are dimming when you hit start, you know power is going into the starter. If you know for certain that the battery and cables are good, then you have one of the following issues:

1) Engine seized
2) Starter/starter solenoid shot

My money's on the starter. Good luck.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote