The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

holy ****

I thought the truck was gonna burn to the ground only to find this
Attached Images

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3483616
jsbgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Re: holy ****

here are a couple more from the pos cable hitting the header and me cleaning up the mess
Attached Images

Build Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #3
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Electrical fires suck!!!!!!

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
tnblazerk5
User #12137

holy **** aint the words for that

your lucky it didnt burn to the ground
glad it didnt hurt anything else
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
shaneschevys
Its always something!

That was a close call today!!
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:28 AM   #6
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

yup I want to thank shaneschevysand shaneschevychick for helping me out today
Build Thread

Last edited by jsbgump; 12-30-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:31 AM   #7
shaneschevys
Its always something!

Anytime
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM   #8
ShanesChevys'Chick

No problem gump but Next time try not to catch it on fire. They normally work better without the whole melted cables thing!
69 one ton
72 short fleet
72 suburban
68 3/4 ton beater
69 Panel
72 3/4 ton for sale
ShanesChevys'Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:37 AM   #9
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

I know but **** happens
Build Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 AM   #10
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

crap! close call!
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 AM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I had the same experience with mine, back in '00. I started it one morning, only to have it die. The way it died, wasn't normal. Then, smoke started seeping from the front of the hood. I opened it up, only to find the wiring at the radiator support, glowing red. I saw that it was the wire from the alternator to the battery junction, but had nothing but my bare hands to work with. I pulled on the red hot wire, and broke it. Solved the short circuit. Burned my fingers. Saved the truck. Called my insurance agent. An adjuster came and we went to work. I got enough, after my $50 deductible, to pay for my new harnesses, the paint and money for my labor to fix it.

Yeah, watch that wire from the back of the alternator. If it comes in contact with your headers, it will not last long. The new harness has a bracket that secures the harness away from the headers.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 AM   #12
Striker169
Car O'Holic

wow this makes me want to rush out and get a extinguisher (sp??) but thats a close call glad nothing major happened! I would hate to see another one of our trucks burn to the ground because of an electrical fire
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:49 AM   #13
krue
Designated A-hole!

I had a similar problem happen to me. Went to start the truck and it just clicked. Raise the hood and saw a red glow by the starter. The cable insulation melted against the exhaust pipe. Had to tape a piece of water hose to around it to get home (worst part is I wound up laying in a fire ant bed to fix it ).

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:00 AM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I think that would be holy smoke.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 12-30-2005 at 06:00 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:08 AM   #15
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I sent you a PM with my phone number. If you ever need help in town, give me a call. If I'm able, I'll help you out. Don't want to see a local brother stranded.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:17 AM   #16
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

It's never a bad idea to have a fire extinguisher in the truck. I have one mounted in between my buckets, secured to the seat frame. There's nothing worse than seeing a vehicle burn because of an electrical fire. You got very lucky. As a kid I got to watch my family's boat burn to pieces while I clung to a life preserver from the middle of a lake. The starter somehow got locked in the open position and wouldn't shut off. My father wasn't able to pull the cables off the battery or dist in time before it caught fire and had to bail out, threw myself and my friend out and then jumped himself. I'll never forget that day.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #17
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'll agree with the fire ext statement...
I had tossed one into my first Longhorn just as an afterthought when I took it on it's first road trip. I had only been driving it maybe 2 months when I was told I had to get to Ft Knox Kentucky by the next day. (I think I had about 30 hrs notice) I was stationed at Fort Hood Tx, right at 1000 miles away.
The truck would stall for no reason, and usually waould backfire at the same time, but not always. Sometimes it would just shut off instantaniously. I later found a timing chain so loose, that it wore a hole through the cover, (so THAT'S what that noise was!) and it had a huge chip missing from an exhaust valve.
So I get there with out too much incident, massively overheated when the rad puked it's guts out. Had a set of guages mounted, but hadn't had a chance to hook them up yet. As I waited for it too cool down I hooked up the temp guage, then I pulled the rad and repaired it with J B weld. Knowing it wasn't a strong repair, I grabbed a low pressure cap at the parts store (I think it was like 5 or 10 psi) and kept going. That was in Memphis...in one of the areas you DON'T want to get stranded in.
Got to Ft knox in 14 1/2 hrs. My speedo wasn't working, so i honestly have no clue how fast I was going, but I do know I hit 5000 RPM on one deserted section of highway in Ark. (4.10 gearing, about 30 or so inch tire, one to one final gear with no lock up....anyone wanna take a guess at my speed there?)
My first weekend there, I decided to come up to ohio and see my family. Hadn't seen anyone in 2 or so years, and I was only a couple hundred miles away.
Going up I-75 somewhere in BFE kentucky. (I don't knopw where, but I remember there was a dirt track for the circle track cars, and a church or something with 3 huge crosses in the yard towards the freeway.) I'm thinking I was 50 or so miles from Cincinatti, but I am not sure. Haulin ass down a hill when the engine just stalled for no reason. It was instantinous, like a piston ran into something. So I pump the throttle a bit, it's restarted in the past...nothing, pump it some more...nothing.
Hmmmmm, lets see what's at the bottom of this long down hill part of the road. I must have rolled a 1/2 mile before I saw the hood start to chainge colors. I was like WTF! The hood had the worn out springs, like most of us have or have seen, and the back of the hood stuck up a little. Right as the paint on the hood started blistering and turning black, a couple licks of flame shot out from under the hood.

You'd be amazed at how quickly you forget how to use a fire ext. Hell, I couldn't even remember where I put the stupid thing... it was just tossed in, not mounted. I found it under the seat (yeah, THAT'S a good place for it )
I run out and stick my hand in to hit the hood latch, and I remember something my grand father told me when we were in a similar situation years and years ago. "Never open the hood when there is a fire... onles you are ready to put the fire out."
It's amazing how quickly you forget how to use a fire ext. I stood there looking at that sucker for what felt like forever, I'm sure it was only 15 seconds...but that is still too dam long. popped the hood and had flames shot out, a huge mushroom cloud was made and I put out the fire.
Here I am, middle of no where, 1 in the morning on a friday night/sat morning...what ever you wanna call it, no cell phone, no tripple A, and a real bad feeling on how the **** am I going to get back to Ft Knox. The fire killed the air filter, the air cleaner's plastic spacer, turned the air cleaner from chrome to blue and black, broke the throttle return spring, melted the fuel line and all the vac lines, killed 3 plug wires....all this was only 2 or 3 weeks old too.
Never travel in junk onless you know how to rig stuff up. I made a fuel line and a vac line to the brake booster out of duct tape, I took a bungee cord, wrapped it around the bottom of the distributor a few times, then hooked it to the throttle...it worked as a throttle return spring for 3 months, I removed the burned plug wires and air cleaner assembly, and left.
Got to the next exit and used a bottle of black RTV to seal up the burned plug wires...ran them for 6 months after that untill I replaced them, found enough 3/8 line to make a fuel line and a vac line to the brake booster. Capped off the other vac ports, and shifted amnually for the next couple weeks untill i got a chance to fix it a little bit closer to properly.
I had nightmares the next night, of me standing there and watching my truck burn to the ground.
That reminds me, I need to dig my fire ext out of the tool box in the back of the truck and mount that sucker inside the cab.

One fire ext for A B and C fires is a pretty good idea. Don't get the little pint sized kiddie one, get one that is big enough to put the stupid fire out. It's been awhile since I bought one, but I think it was only like 25 bucks... that's cheap enough.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #18
matthufham

wow, i wouldn't know what to do starting with the busted timing cover and cracked valve. at home, sure, but on a road trip i'd be screwed.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:42 PM   #19
KEH
Better late than never

Just mounted mine the other day...
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #20
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEH
Just mounted mine the other day...
Not to offend you but that things not worth anymore than the cheap plastic bracket it is mounted to. I work in the Fire @ Safety business and service portable units everyday. Kidde is by far the worst brand you can by. The one you have has a plastic head. They get brittle and snap off very easily. Find a good Amerex or Ansul unit that has a metal head. Also the gauge on those will stick and even if there is no pressure in the unit it will read charged.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Where is a good place to get one of the good ones like you have stated? How pricy are they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom dually
Not to offend you but that things not worth anymore than the cheap plastic bracket it is mounted to. I work in the Fire @ Safety business and service portable units everyday. Kidde is by far the worst brand you can by. The one you have has a plastic head. They get brittle and snap off very easily. Find a good Amerex or Ansul unit that has a metal head. Also the gauge on those will stick and even if there is no pressure in the unit it will read charged.
Build Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #22
tomatocity

the positive side of this is you will have new wiring and it will be double tied away from your exhaust.

Happy & Safe New Year to ALL
Old 12-31-2005, 02:04 PM   #23
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

Well all it took to fix it was 2 new bat cables. The battery was still good somehow. I will be installing a fire ext in the very near future.
Build Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:10 PM   #24
NO LONGER DISTURBED KONCEPTZ

Damn boy what we till you about keeping those wires from metal. J/K Glad to see that you got it taken care of and are starting to work on the truck again.
NO LONGER DISTURBED KONCEPTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:25 PM   #25
jsbgump
Gone Fishing

What did we tell you about letting yours sit and rust away. All I have to do is open the door of mine and thats more than you have done in 2 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED KONCEPTZ
Damn boy what we till you about keeping those wires from metal. J/K Glad to see that you got it taken care of and are starting to work on the truck again.
Build Thread