The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
mrhino
Account Suspended

a Year ago

Its a silly question but. its coming up on a year since I started my project. I wanted to have it done on or before the one year anniversary. the question is: when I bought my project it was just a frame. so do I count the year on the day I started disassembly of the frame, it only took a day and 1/2 or do I count it on the day I got it back from the sandblaster and started putting it together a few weeks later.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
eagleuh1

Re: a Year ago

Stop counting and get moving. You got work to do before the years up. Seriously, get to work.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
yote1234

yea... i just passed my 1 year on nov 13th..... another month!!!!
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Stop counting and get moving. You got work to do before the years up. Seriously, get to work.
I am, Just come from the garage. God you sound like my wife. lol
Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Eh... one thing I've learned, never have a "finish date" because in most instances, they come and go.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Eh... one thing I've learned, never have a "finish date" because in most instances, they come and go.
exactly, been working on mine since 05 or 06 i was suppost to drive it to my wedding in 08 but didn't happen i can drive it now but it's no where near done

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Spoof

Damn, it's been nearly 10 years for me, had a wife come and go, bought houses, travelled over hell's half acre...still working on this truck. Some might find I'm complaining but I'm not sure how I'll feel when I'm done, I've been doing it so long.
Let me say this, she will be one fine vehicle.
Now back to you, start from when you sent it off, deal with the fact it ain't going to happen as planned and stretch her out a little longer...just enjoy it.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
C. M. Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
I completely agree, I've had three separate start and finsh dates in fifteen years on the same truck,(I keep changing things because either my tastes change or I see something new I wish to do).

It's better to get happy with working on the truck and how it looks and runs after it's done, than it is to get happy with looking at calenders,(the only exception might be is if the Babes on the calenders are seriously hotter than any trucks! Since Trucks tend to be far more reliable than the Babes, that's going to be very rare!).

Michael
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
tonypaul

Me and you must be alot alike... We work better with deadlines or planned goals. I got my truck a year ago last month (Nov2009), it sat for 2 months then I spent two weeks tearing it apart then I found this drag car I just had to rebuild. I spent from Feb-May building it. Then back hard core on the truck in June. In 6 months I have almost completly rebuilt the truck. I cant belive how much I have got done in 6 months. Vortec 454 w/ 4/80e swap. rebuilt rearend, airbags, full 2 tone custom paint, custom interior, custom stereo system, gps alarm, alot of mods, ect... All I have left is my driveshaft (is being made now, front windshield, upper and lower trim on drivers side, tailgate trim, and new brake lines on the front... Then Im done!!! Im driving this truck on xmas day!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
68anniversary

I would say the date you walked out there and turned a wrench intending to build it.
68anniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
dfwright

The one thing you don't want to do is rush to get things done by an artificial deadline, and regret that later, if something doesn't get done as well as it might have.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I agree with previous posts. Don't put pressure on yourself by setting "due dates".

Have fun, go at a pace that keeps it fun, and... well... have fun!

It's all about the build!
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
mrhino
Account Suspended

Thanks for everyones input, for me I work better with a deadlines. if theres no time frame for me to get something done, or no end goal. It dosen't get done. Iv already missed a few deadlines I have set for myself. before the deadline, a lot would get done, but as soon as it passed. no drive. So I set another. My project doesn't have to get done. its just something I do to help me move forward. I agree with the two people that said. I should count the year on the day I first turned a wrench. Im almost done, and if I dont make it so what, I'll just make another one.
Someone somewhere said. "If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time."
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

you're building a truck, not curing cancer ... look at it as setting a goal and NOT a deadline.

relax and enjoy it.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
you're building a truck, not curing cancer ... look at it as setting a goal and NOT a deadline.

relax and enjoy it.
you are right. Goal
Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
dan76

What I've found successful when accomplishing a vehicle project is to set goals for various portions of the project. For example, I paint outside in a temporary paint booth. Obviously the best times for painting are in the late spring and early fall. So I adjust goals to meet expected weather conditions. Engine/trans building are best during winter. Final assembly occurs during the summer. Good luck on your project and don't get overwhelmed by self-imposed deadlines. Steady progress will get a project finished within your budget.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
sameyrasmea72

So when is your one year up? I wish mine was close to a year. My body has been at the painters for 3 years. But in all fairness he did tell me he would need about six weeks to do it.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
So when is your one year up? I wish mine was close to a year. My body has been at the painters for 3 years. But in all fairness he did tell me he would need about six weeks to do it.
I hear your pain mine was susposed to be in and out in 90 days that was 2 years and 7 months ago. She is susposed to be home for Christmas though
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
Stubbs67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76 View Post
For example, I paint outside in a temporary paint booth. Obviously the best times for painting are in the late spring and early fall. So I adjust goals to meet expected weather conditions. Engine/trans building are best during winter. Final assembly occurs during the summer. Good luck on your project and don't get overwhelmed by self-imposed deadlines. Steady progress will get a project finished within your budget.
I hear that, I too need to finish my body work by the late spring LOL. My engine is in the shed, on stand, under the 400w Metal Halide Heat lamp of doom lol.
Stubbs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
Davedr

I started my project this past July.I wanted my truck done by Jan, but I guess after reading some of these posts i am just gonna take my time and get it all done the way I have my project pictured.
Davedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
timjt

Year was up last month. All I had to do was the transmission and timing but I've NEVER worked on a truck before and since I can't keep it at my apartment I have to drive 30 min to my inlaws to work on it and Ive had to take the trani out 3 times because things keep going wrong.
I've learned a TON this last year (and bought and sold an 83 for profit half-way through, so can I take 4 months off the year?)

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"

Last edited by timjt; 12-03-2010 at 12:53 PM.
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
67chevemall

Been working on mine for 14 years now!!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76 View Post
What I've found successful when accomplishing a vehicle project is to set goals for various portions of the project. For example, I paint outside in a temporary paint booth. Obviously the best times for painting are in the late spring and early fall. So I adjust goals to meet expected weather conditions. Engine/trans building are best during winter. Final assembly occurs during the summer. Good luck on your project and don't get overwhelmed by self-imposed deadlines. Steady progress will get a project finished within your budget.
That exactly what I did. I broke it down to chassis, engine, body, final finish. of coarse there were sub goals for each of those. once I finished one I would move to the next. Id even set goals for things I wanted to get done that day. Most of the time I made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
this photo was taken just before I started the disasembly and that was Dec. 14th I am farther along then my build thread shows. I only have a windshield to put in, bleed the brakes, align front fenders, wetsand and buff the front fenders, and have the exhaust put on. so really not that much left to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedr View Post
I started my project this past July.I wanted my truck done by Jan, but I guess after reading some of these posts i am just gonna take my time and get it all done the way I have my project pictured.

My first goal was 6 months. Its a goal that, at the the time I thought was doable. My build had a few changes along the way from the conception, I was going to put in a small block but a LSX came my way. Which certailnly cost me more time. tring to figuring out my own harness, along with other modification . plus I think I was sick damn near the whole month of march. looking back I still think I could have done it in 7-8 months if I really pushed myself. I am having fun, this is the most fun I think iv ever had. its a blast, cant wait to do it again. and Trust me, the truck is pretty much they way Iv wanted.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The cool thing about it,it that it's your project so you get to make the rules.You can count a year back from the date you finish(Has anyone ever had a finished one?seems like there's always something else you want to do)and make that your start date if you want.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
truckdude239

sorry had to do it

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote