The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
sick472

Vent Window Assembly or Seals go first for installation?

I will be installing my restored vent windows soon and appreciate all the threads I have found here to help restoring them and with the door gut's assembly sequence...

But I cant figure out if I should install the Inner felt-like seal and the outer rubber roll-up window seals before or after the Vent Window assembly goes into the door.

I am talking about the seals that clip into the opening where the roll-up glass goes in and out of. It's been too long since I took it apart for memory to to me any good. I have given the vent window assembly a dry run and it is a very tight fit when it comes to rotating it once the long support is down in the door cavity.

It seems like the seals would get damaged if they went in first AND is seems like they might help protect the new paint, BUT the seals may be a buggar to install afterwards...I'm corn-fused.

Thanks for the help!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Vent Window Assembly or Seals go first for installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
I will be installing my restored vent windows soon and appreciate all the threads I have found here to help restoring them and with the door gut's assembly sequence...

But I cant figure out if I should install the Inner felt-like seal and the outer rubber roll-up window seals before or after the Vent Window assembly goes into the door.

I am talking about the seals that clip into the opening where the roll-up glass goes in and out of. It's been too long since I took it apart for memory to to me any good. I have given the vent window assembly a dry run and it is a very tight fit when it comes to rotating it once the long support is down in the door cavity.

It seems like the seals would get damaged if they went in first AND is seems like they might help protect the new paint, BUT the seals may be a buggar to install afterwards...I'm corn-fused.

Thanks for the help!

The seals and glass channel have to go in afterwards or you won't be able to get the vent windows in place. Don't forget the small flat head screws that go in through the upper door frame into the vent window frame.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Astro-Balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY3yXCjqkZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK8GgWD4uA
Astro-Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
RustyPile

The seals you speak of are the last parts to be installed.. After the vent window, after the window channels.. After the regulator.. After the roll up glass.. After everything else.. Apply layers of tape tp protect the fresh paint..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
maverickmk

Well I guess did mine wrong. I installed the seals around the window area first then installed the vent and window. Wasn't that bad, but I didn't care if the paint got chipped or bent anything. I did install the window felts last though.

Not to brag, but I don't need alcohol to make really bad decisions.

1969 GMC Short Step Side
maverickmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
sick472

Thanks for all the advise...I got it done without too much paint scratching. I left the belt-line seals and felts until last.

For some reason the gap where the vent window assembly is installed was so tight that the spring would not pass and the gap had to be wedged open by using a plastic wedge and it was still dragging the sides as it passed into the door cavity. I had the sides taped on the first door I did and double taped on the second which helped alot.

It's really a cool feeling seeing the glass in the doors after all these years...next will be the side mirrors.

Anyhow, here is the "show-off" pic...Thanks again!
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote